Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 09:50   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Have you ever hated your boat?

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I find it a bit irritating that everyone always seems to just love their boat. I'm not talking about boating or the lifestyle, but the boat itself. I've owned five boats over the years, and other than a Catalina 22 that I owned in high school, which I loved mainly because I was 16, my current Dana is probably the first boat that I've really liked, although I'm not even sure about that yet since this is my first season with her. The rest of them have been even bigger compromises driven by financial limitations. My last boat, for example, a 1987 Hunter 34, I actively hated - I sailed it all over for six years and found her tender, had bad manners in various conditions, was very poorly made and I had about zero pride of ownership. What a piece of trash that was. Don't get me wrong - I love boats - I walk up and down the marina ogling as much as the next guy at this and that beautiful design, but haven't been able to afford anything worth buying. Hopefully the Dana will change that, but my ultimate opinion of her will be driven by a fairly objective analysis of her pros and cons. My feeling is that most people's objectivity is compromised by their love of the sport and the fine memories and experiences that any boat, even a bad one, creates. It's also easier to love what you have rather than be critical and potentially unhappy. Have you ever hated your boat?
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:56   #2

Re: Have you ever hated your boat?

Nope. I haven't. But why would you keep a boat that you hate? I mean, if I actually hated my boat, it sure wouldn't be for very long. I would get rid of it and find a boat that I liked.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09   #3

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

No, but my last boat was a project boat that I was always fixing and spending money on. It was not my favorite. This time, we made a conscious decision to go with a newer production boat rather than an older "blue water" boat that needed a lot of work. It was a compromise dictated by our budget. We really like the Hunter 41. It suits our needs. Do I lust after more expensive offshore boats? Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that we are perfectly content with the boat we have, at least until I win the lottery.

So I think you may be experiencing unrealistic expectations. You hate the boat you have because you can't afford a nicer one given your "financial limitations"? Newsflash -- everyone has financial limitations. My advice is to temper your expectations given the reality of your situation. Accept that you can't have the boat you really want for now. If you can't then I would then suggest that you find another hobby. Life is really too short to follow pursuits that don't make you happy.

And yes, the sunset really is just as beautiful regardless of the boat you are viewing it from...

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:40   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Nope. I haven't.
+1.

The OP makes a case for objectivity in evaluating a boat, but it doesn't sound is if the quest for objectivity is making him happy.

Years ago I wanted to buy a large RIB dive boat with a trailer and a truck to pull it. I could afford either a great truck and a disappointing boat, or a disappointing truck and a great boat. I chose to go with the great boat, but made a conscious decision never to think negatively about my truck, always reminding myself that the truck's cheapness was what allowed me to have a great dive boat.

Guess what: it ended up being a great truck.

Screw objectivity if it keeps you from being happy.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Boat ownership is like other intimate relationships--there will be ups and downs, and maybe some real rough patches, but at the end of the day if you can't kiss and make up, why keep torturing yourself? So, no, I can't say I ever hated any of my boats, though there were things about each of them I really didn't like. But, I learned to live with them, warts and all, and the warts often make for good stories later. Plus, in the rosy vision of hindsight after many years I think I tend to reflect on the really good times on each one, and have a hard time remembering the bad ones.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:10   #6

With boats and cars, I've found a way to love them all, in spite of their flaws. For me, a little character in a vehicle isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just makes it different. If it's something I couldn't live with, like a safety deficiency, I hope to find it before the purchase.

Some people only like pedigreed boats. Like pedigreed dogs, they have a better reputation, but it doesn't really assure they'll be more loveable. They'll have quirks, too.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:13   #7

Boat: Lafitte 44

I have been very unhappy with previous owners... but not the boat itself.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:18   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

I am ambivalent about my boat - if I truly loved her as a boat she would have been out on the water several years before. She was bought on practicalities to serve a purpose of being a small, cheap(ish) go anywhere boat (which she may still do), albeit ended up serving a different one - of keeping me sane(ish!).

And I do lust after other boats, not often but sometimes. So far I have kept it in my trousers (my cash!). so far.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:27   #9

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Every time I tied up at the dock and had to get off and head home to get ready to go to work because it made me think what I should be doing and not what I was doing..
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:30   #10

Boat: Island Packet 380

Love my boat, however I am not very happy with the Marina staff at the moment, but I guess that answers a whole other question. As a result, I wouldn't say I hate my boat, more than I would say I am worry about my boat right now.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Boat ownership is like other intimate relationships--there will be ups and downs, and maybe some real rough patches, but at the end of the day if you can't kiss and make up, why keep torturing yourself? So, no, I can't say I ever hated any of my boats, though there were things about each of them I really didn't like. But, I learned to live with them, warts and all, and the warts often make for good stories later. Plus, in the rosy vision of hindsight after many years I think I tend to reflect on the really good times on each one, and have a hard time remembering the bad ones.

I wanted three things in my boat. I wanted good living space; I wanted it to be fast; and I wanted it to have sexy lines on the water. As the song says, two out of three ain't bad. She's fast and the space below is good, but I think she looks kind of like a pointy shoe box. She's a Hunter '31, the old design.

But hey -- I don't SEE her when I'm sailing her, and she's so much fun to sail that I don't care about the lines any more (also putting a BIG netted bimini on her emphasizes that fat stern).

The other guy is right. They are tender, and I'm suspecting that this boat needs a smaller headsail for wind conditions than some other boats. But she's not a bluewater boat (although Hunter called her that in their original brochures), and she steers incredibly well in tight spaces. She's very responsive. But she's got a fat stern and if you don't manage her well, she wants to kind of sit on her ass instead of her center axis. But once you get the hang of it -- a sweet sailor.

She's 1983, and not a single leak anywhere. It's hard not to love that when you live aboard!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:37   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I love my boat, but as you point out its about financial viability. If I had much more money and could buy something bigger and newer then yes I would love the new boat more.

Plus if Sea Life hears me slag her off she might pop a douverlacky just to show she's upset!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:42   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I love my boat, but I've hated a few dinghies over the years. I had a couple of inflatables that were always limp,- patches on top of patches and never a cure!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:38   #14

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

"I hate boats" is almost my daily mantra. Every time I stub my toe on something as the boat lurches, bang my head on a companion way or hatch opening, skin my knuckles when the wrench slips during a repair, etc. Today a big ratchet slipped and it fell on my middle toe. It's bleeding around the nail and I suppose I'll loose another nail. Unfortunately I haven't figured out any other way to go cruising. I don't think there's anything unique about my boat so I generalize it to hating all boats at least once a day.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:51   #15

I don't think I have ever hated my boat, but the other day, trying to get the starter off of my generator, I sure hated the SOB who installed it thinking it would never have to be worked on.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote