Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 11:34   #1

Boat: Oyster 45
Have You Been Helped Out by a Sailing Stranger ?

What is it about the sailing community that makes them so different?

We have been living on board our boat for a year and it is difficult to remember just how many wonderful people we have met.

When we lived in a house we hardly knew the neighbours. On a boat you know everyone around you within a few hours and often end up drinking with them. It does not matter what nationality they are,a sailor is a sailor is a friend.

It amazes me the length people you have only just met will go to help you. Along the way we have been given many things without anyone wanting something in return. Whenever I have a problem there seems to be someone there to help for nothing.

I would like to raise a glass to these wonderful people.

Have you had the same experiences and how have you been helped out by total strangers (who are probably now friends for life)?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:20   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Have You Been Helped Out by a Sailing Stranger ?

I have helped total strangers (meet here) but have not as yet been on the receiving end...so I'll take that toast...thanks.

Yes...some have become friends.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

been both sides--like giving better......always have.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44   #4

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

We have in the boat yard one of those blokes that has almost all the skills. He's doing up a 1920's lifeboat from a liner, it's been a house boat for some years. He's replaced all the iron nails with stainless screws, replaced all the decks, lots of work internally, new ribs to moving the engine forward to re-engineer the drive, so on and so on.
He knows what to buy for each job, where to buy it, and what to treat it with.
The venerable font of all knowledge (except engines). A chat with him is worth a hundred books. He's often there to receive a line as we dock too. Very much appreciated.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:57   #5

Have to agree that most of the sailing community is very willing to lend a helping hand when in need. I actually know boaters better then we do our neighbors. Some I have met online first and then later in life in person which have become very good friends. Then some online just not sure about. But all in all a great community.
mutualfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:58   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

When you associate with people with similiar likes. You tend to intermingle a whoole lot more. This brings along knowing the community, and actually being neighbors. Be it living at the dock, or cruising. We have all been there. I don't have this tool, or understand how this works. It's a mass sharing of help, and resources. What goes around comes around........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57   #7

Boat: Grampian 26

I re did the electrical on my boat, and re fitting the galley with new wood and a truly functional setup for me, a slip mate came by with coffee and to see how it was going along.
After 20 mins of looking and I could see the mental notes being taken I offered up the schematics for the wiring, my shopping list with prices i paid along with the drawings for my galley, mind you he would have to extend a couple cabinets as he is about 8 feet longer so it would be relative. After which he mentioned he was lousy at woodworking, so again my tools and help was offered up.
I was at my boat last week in preparation of haul out coming around thanks giving and found a set of davits next to my boat, my friend had heard me mentioning i wanted to put a set on my boat and as it happened he had removed his.
He has a partial rewire and a very nice galley, I got the gift of a lifetime, a great friend and davits to prove it.
This is for all the sailors whom help and help and think they never get anything, you have the thanks from them initially but knowing you were there is the real deal.
So a big THANKS TO ALL, Cheers to you and may your "davits" be on there way.
Old 06-10-2011, 13:20   #8

Boat: Bristol 38.8

About 10 years ago my wife and I were sailing in Narragansett Bay on my 15' Galilee daysailer when the starboard shroud parted and the mast toppled over. A good samaritan in a larger sailboat (a Sabre, I think) threw us a line and towed us back to Jamestown. I never got his name, but I'm still very grateful.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing