Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 18:13   #1

Have saildrives improved?

I read a bunch of old posts (6-8 years old) about how potentially bad saildrives are versus the traditional prop shaft. Have saildrives improved?

On my first boat, I started taking on water in the middle of Chesapeake Bay because my packing gland nut fell off. Also, my packing gland probably needed to be fixed because I was always having to mess with the thing to get that drip every 30 seconds or so. It was pretty annoying because the bilge would go off several times a day. I would prefer a dry bilge.

I love the idea of saildrives. Are many people with saildrives comfortable with them as far as safety goes?
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 18:41   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Have saildrives improved?

We don't worry about ours but we have the old tough sd20's that rarely have an issue. Sure its a big hole in the bottom but the seals are very tough and barring a really big oopsie, pretty bulletproof. I bet more sailboats have sunk from shaft struts ripping out then sail drive seal failures.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 19:33   #3

Re: Have saildrives improved?

Many horror stories are caused by bad installs. Thousands are installed and a few morons with hangover screw up the surface prep, owner/builder didn't pay for the metal bracket ring, a few poor torqued bolts and you have internet horror stories compounded by hearsay. Then no amount of reason will change minds. Like ventilation providing healthy aerobic blackwater tank

Tags
sail, saildrive