Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 19:53   #1

Boat: Shopping...
Have I Bumped my Head?

My wife and I are both getting ready to retire. We love the water but have no experience sailing.Amid a storm of responses from family and friends like "You are Crazy" and "You lost your minds" we believe we would love to learn how to sail with the goal of sailing from Florida to Nassau and the Bahamas. At 50 and 53 years old,we are very active, engaging in Cross Fit 4-5 days a week as well as hike, backpack, run and mountain bike on the weekends.

If in fact this is something we can do, we would purchase a sail boat and spend winters in Florida. I don't think we are crazy, but then again, how many crazy people do?

I have done a lot of research but have yet to find a specific answer to our question. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Smoov1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 20:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Have I Bumped my Head?

There must be 100 threads such as this. Why not do a search, read the threads, choose the answers you like and just leave the rest. Good luck and happy sailing.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 20:03   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1

Buy a boat.
Buy insurance.
Buy a bit more insurance.
Hire a trainer captain for lessons.
Go for it and have a blast!...it's only fiberglass!!

Anything else will add years to your dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 20:03   #4

Go For it. You will love it or hate it, but if you are daydreaming about sailing you will probably really love it. My first trip to the Bahamas was the first time I had been out of sight of land and all night too. It was magic. It was better than Magic. I stayed a full six months. It also taught me what I needed on my boat for my personal comfort. The next six months on the boat was in Florida, working on the boat. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 20:11   #5

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Lol - yes, you bumped your head.

Liking the water and being on a small boat for months is kinda crazy. Read the threads about making passage, read the threads about hearing noises, see the photo of the whale crushing a sailboat, lightning, storms, rudder failures, big waves, mast failure, sun beating on you all day, too hot to sleep nights.

I joined a sailing club. I have been on 3 different 26 - 28 foot sailboats. All of them had things that were broke. The owner would say the plan to fix this or that. I have to think these boats are much better to want than to have one.

I am shifting my focus to a boat that can get me out to do some deep sea fishing on calm ocean days than back in to land.

Good luck in your retired endeavor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 20:15   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1

I learned 10x more about cruising and managing a boat by charting (anchoring, routes, systems, running aground, accidental jibes, etc..) on a 4 day charter with just me and my wife than I have sailing with ASA courses.
You got to just get out and do it. It's the only way to learn and achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 20:33   #7

Boat: Shopping...

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I wanted to believe it was a great idea, in spite of what my family and friends have said. We are going to keep moving forward on this dream. Sure to keep you all posted..

Thanks again,
Smoov1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 20:47   #8

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoov1000 View Post
My wife and I are both getting ready to retire. We love the water but have no experience sailing.Amid a storm of responses from family and friends like "You are Crazy" and "You lost your minds" we believe we would love to learn how to sail with the goal of sailing from Florida to Nassau and the Bahamas. At 50 and 53 years old,we are very active, engaging in Cross Fit 4-5 days a week as well as hike, backpack, run and mountain bike on the weekends.

If in fact this is something we can do, we would purchase a sail boat and spend winters in Florida. I don't think we are crazy, but then again, how many crazy people do?

I have done a lot of research but have yet to find a specific answer to our question. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If you have never sailed, then yes. Making big plans without ever having your hands on a tiller and sheet is a mistake.

Go sailing this weekend.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 05-05-2015, 21:36   #9

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Just do it, you will have a great time sailing.
Leaning the basics is the first step, take an ASA 101 class.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 21:48   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Trolliet

Hey, if that's what you want, don't listen to the naysayers, just do it. There are plenty of people a lot older than you doing it who started after they retired. And I bet you a kayak to a ketch you'll find a lot of the naysayers won't turn down invitations onboard, and you'll find a lot of new friends as well.
Trolliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:30   #11

Of course you can do it! Start gently. Join a club. Crew with others. When you feel ready to buy a boat spend a season day sailing. You're still young, there's plenty of time.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:37   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Smoov.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:05   #13

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.
Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:07   #14

Boat: Southerly 49

Check out our friends on Zero to Cruising who went from complete novices to experiences sailors... Go back to the beginning... having a drink in the hot-tub and making the decision :-)

Zero to Cruising!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:39   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Lol - yes, you bumped your head.

Liking the water and being on a small boat for months is kinda crazy. Read the threads about making passage, read the threads about hearing noises, see the photo of the whale crushing a sailboat, lightning, storms, rudder failures, big waves, mast failure, sun beating on you all day, too hot to sleep nights.

I joined a sailing club. I have been on 3 different 26 - 28 foot sailboats. All of them had things that were broke. The owner would say the plan to fix this or that. I have to think these boats are much better to want than to have one.

I am shifting my focus to a boat that can get me out to do some deep sea fishing on calm ocean days than back in to land.

Good luck in your retired endeavor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ignore that post. Not sure why that person is even on a cruising forum if that's the way they feel about it.

Go sailing with someone and take some classes. If you like it buy a boat and go. There is absolutely nothing crazy about it. The crazy ones, IMHO, are those that have a dream but give it up to stay in the rat race because someone convinced them they couldn't do it.

You are very young. What we wouldn't give to be 50 and 53 again and looking at retirement. If you are in good physical shape there is no reason why you can't enjoy many years of cruising.

Have fun and live the dream. We'll be joining you very shortly (and we are more than 10 years older than you.)

Tags
head