Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 08:42   #31

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor
Re: Have I Bumped my Head?

First things first...> Where are you currently located?

If indeed your are already thinking toward retirement in your 50's you've done something right. Build upon that and as mentioned above go get wet. I'm a firm believer in learning how to sail at the basic level of one design will give you the quick education to start. That means a summer of fun sailing with your local sailing club.

Next plan a charter vacation with a charter outfit who also do instruction while you vacation. Learn to sail different setups from cats to monohulls and different configurations from sloop to ketch rigs.

It's all an education that will help you understand your wants, needs and desires in purchasing a boat that will make you happy for the sailing future ahead of you.

Dive in .... the water is fine. Just watch your head when diving into the unknown.
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:43   #32

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Folks, it is just a fact that many places don't do sailing and therefore no lessons convenient. I grew up in Yuma AZ. LOTS of water sports. NO sailing!!!

Fishing, skiing etc. NO Sailing. 180 miles to San Diego. 180 miles to Phoenix where there does appear to be sailing on a lake 40 miles out of town.

So folks, I understand that this is a sailing forum and so we often think that you can sail (and learn to sail) everywhere but it is a simple fact that it is easier in some places than others. In some it is damned difficult.

I bring that up because in every single thread like this responders start out with "go take a lesson and then..."

So when someone says "it isn't easy for me to...", accept that perhaps it isn't easy for them... And yet they still want information, NOT advice to go take a lesson.

Thanks for letting me share...
There are these things called airplanes. I'm guessing even Yuma has them...!
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:55   #33

Boat: S2 11.0C

I'm sure my little sailing partner has "bumped his head" a few times. No complaints. Just do it!!!
Without adventure, your not living!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:56   #34

I'm not sure I saw a question, but yes you likely can do it.
* be self sufficient. Are you?
* Be the type who fixes your own stuff. (cruising has been called "doing boat repair in exotic places")
* Don't buy a boat that needs too much done. They all need something done though.
* Cruise in Florida for a while, get to know how to predict the weather, reef, anchor appropriately.
* Don't expect it to be one big vacation in perfect situations.
Go have fun!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:13   #35

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Folks, it is just a fact that many places don't do sailing and therefore no lessons convenient. I grew up in Yuma AZ. LOTS of water sports. NO sailing!!!

Fishing, skiing etc. NO Sailing. 180 miles to San Diego. 180 miles to Phoenix where there does appear to be sailing on a lake 40 miles out of town.

So folks, I understand that this is a sailing forum and so we often think that you can sail (and learn to sail) everywhere but it is a simple fact that it is easier in some places than others. In some it is damned difficult.

I bring that up because in every single thread like this responders start out with "go take a lesson and then..."

So when someone says "it isn't easy for me to...", accept that perhaps it isn't easy for them... And yet they still want information, NOT advice to go take a lesson.

Thanks for letting me share...

I agree that if there is no sailing school near just do a crewed charter. Be sure when booking that they understand and agree that you want to learn the basics of sailing while on the charter. Some charters seem to be geared to moving only a little bit each day instead of spending most of the day sailing.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:40   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Ignore that post. Not sure why that person is even on a cruising forum if that's the way they feel about it.

Go sailing with someone and take some classes. If you like it buy a boat and go. There is absolutely nothing crazy about it. The crazy ones, IMHO, are those that have a dream but give it up to stay in the rat race because someone convinced them they couldn't do it.

You are very young. What we wouldn't give to be 50 and 53 again and looking at retirement. If you are in good physical shape there is no reason why you can't enjoy many years of cruising.

Have fun and live the dream. We'll be joining you very shortly (and we are more than 10 years older than you.)
This post about sums it up. Those saying it is crazy will probably work till they are put in the grave. Enjoy life it is to short.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:49   #37

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Get a boat just big enough to live on, for not too much. learn to fix it as you go and learn what you need in a boat. Sail the bays...Like Chesapeake or Tampa. rescue is close if you ** too bad.Then buy the next boat and cruise your dreams. Stay openminded. that You'll ask for advice from other sailors in your local...ie weather, repair procedures and so forth. when you quit learning you are on your way to the locker.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:40   #38

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Buy the most comfortable inflatable life jackets you can find, wear them all the time on deck.
Have fun and go
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:43   #39

Boat: Freedom 32'

53! I'm 72, a woman, and just bought my 30' Bristol. Went back to work after retiring to get a kitty for the boat and next April I go u to Ct, get my boat and I'm gone...... my friends all think I'm nuts too. But while they're bored to death, not having any fun, I'm doing and learning and have a full life. Go for it and I wish you the best.
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:04   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Maybe you should get off the sofa where you have been reading your sailing books and posting on the internet, and instead go learn to sail.

Sailing dreamers dream and post on forums. But people who want to learn to sail go find a way to sail.
Sailorboy listen. My brother in law doesn't buy a cell phone, never mind a sailboat without MONTHS of research, questions, research, more questions etc. Drives me crazy. But it is his money, his time, his life. He eventually buys the phone.

You don't need to be rude.

I (personally) have every intention of going sailing. But in this forum, people ask a specific question and bang: "You need to go take lessons", "You need to go charter a boat", "You need to fly down to the Bahamas and sail 40 different boats", "you need to spend 50K on this boat in Mississippi when your post specifically said 20K budget and local to Annapolis".

Hello come in. Earth to old salts, you have waaaayyyyy too much money.

How about this...

YOU need to:
1) Stop being rude
2) Stop assuming that every one who wants to do this can afford what you can afford
3) Stop assuming that everyone who wants to, and will eventually buy some boat, can just drop what they are doing and go sailing, chartering, flying off to the med to look at boats. Just because YOU said they should.
4) Stop giving advice when all that was asked for was an answer to a specific question.
5) And in the end, YOU need to stop telling me (or other posters) what we need to do.

We all approach the research for our dream differently. You did it the way that worked for you. I am happy (thrilled actually) that it worked for you, but you cannot assume that what you did will work for me. Or anyone else other than yourself.

So, go back to giving unasked for advice, and enjoying your superior self. 'Cause I do understand that is what is going to happen here.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:15   #41

Quote:
Sailorboy listen. My brother in law doesn't buy a cell phone, never mind a sailboat without MONTHS of research, questions, research, more questions etc. Drives me crazy. But it is his money, his time, his life. He eventually buys the phone.

You don't need to be rude.

I (personally) have every intention of going sailing. But in this forum, people ask a specific question and bang: "You need to go take lessons", "You need to go charter a boat", "You need to fly down to the Bahamas and sail 40 different boats", "you need to spend 50K on this boat in Mississippi when your post specifically said 20K budget and local to Annapolis".

Hello come in. Earth to old salts, you have waaaayyyyy too much money.

How about this...

YOU need to:
1) Stop being rude
2) Stop assuming that every one who wants to do this can afford what you can afford
3) Stop assuming that everyone who wants to, and will eventually buy some boat, can just drop what they are doing and go sailing, chartering, flying off to the med to look at boats. Just because YOU said they should.
4) Stop giving advice when all that was asked for was an answer to a specific question.
5) And in the end, YOU need to stop telling me (or other posters) what we need to do.

We all approach the research for our dream differently. You did it the way that worked for you. I am happy (thrilled actually) that it worked for you, but you cannot assume that what you did will work for me. Or anyone else other than yourself.

So, go back to giving unasked for advice, and enjoying your superior self. 'Cause I do understand that is what is going to happen here.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:20   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

Mr. Pot says "Hey Mr. Kettle you're so black".

Mr. Kettle replies "No problem I can put you on the list that so many other newbies get on before they later disappear".

In closing, if you want to sail you need to go sailing (on the water). If you haven't ever sailed it probably wouldn't help you to disregard those that have. But in the end it matters nothing to us if you want to just buy a boat and take your chances.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:33   #43

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Maybe you should get off the sofa where you have been reading your sailing books and posting on the internet, and instead go learn to sail.

Sailing dreamers dream and post on forums. But people who want to learn to sail go find a way to sail.
How did the thread get to a **** throwing contest?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:34   #44

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
53! I'm 72, a woman, and just bought my 30' Bristol. Went back to work after retiring to get a kitty for the boat and next April I go u to Ct, get my boat and I'm gone...... my friends all think I'm nuts too. But while they're bored to death, not having any fun, I'm doing and learning and have a full life. Go for it and I wish you the best.
Love it, you go girl!!
Old 06-05-2015, 11:44   #45

It would be amusing if it weren't irritating. Certain "Old salts" check into the thread only to say how irritating the thread is,how it has been discussed a bajillion times. Then check back in daily to say it again.

Here we have a guy with a very expensive boat. Telling ME (who has no boat) to go buy one and go sailing instead of doing research. And he is on this thread (not sailing?) telling me that.

I have to guess the actual sailing is so mundane to him that he'd rather be on here trashing folks.

Now I am hoping that once I get my boat I will love sailing so much that I will mostly disappear from this forum.

And if I do check back it will not be for the sole purpose of being rude.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head