Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-05-2015, 12:46   #46

Boat: 1974 Morgan Out Island 33
Re: Have I Bumped my Head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
53! I'm 72, a woman, and just bought my 30' Bristol. Went back to work after retiring to get a kitty for the boat and next April I go u to Ct, get my boat and I'm gone...... my friends all think I'm nuts too. But while they're bored to death, not having any fun, I'm doing and learning and have a full life. Go for it and I wish you the best.
Yep, my friends and family are pretty much in the "you're crazy" camp as well.

How exciting that you got yours!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:46   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I hope others like me who live in areas where water and inexpensive boats abound are not thought of as elitest when we claim that dreams of cruising require a boat, some practice and water.

Sure, the resouces may be easier for some than others, but a boat, practice and water are essential. This is sound advice. If you can't obtain those things, then goals would need to be changed.

In the days of Sir Thomas Lipton sailing was a rich man's sport, but that's not true today. There's nothing rude in stating that one would need to have the boat and water and experience.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:58   #48

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoov1000 View Post
My wife and I are both getting ready to retire. We love the water but have no experience sailing.Amid a storm of responses from family and friends like "You are Crazy" and "You lost your minds" we believe we would love to learn how to sail with the goal of sailing from Florida to Nassau and the Bahamas. At 50 and 53 years old,we are very active, engaging in Cross Fit 4-5 days a week as well as hike, backpack, run and mountain bike on the weekends.

If in fact this is something we can do, we would purchase a sail boat and spend winters in Florida. I don't think we are crazy, but then again, how many crazy people do?

I have done a lot of research but have yet to find a specific answer to our question. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The only question in your post is if many crazy people don't think they are, in fact crazy. So, to answer your question (I have 25 years experience in the field of insanity), yes - many crazy people do not think they are crazy.

But to the gist - yes, you are crazy. So what? As many people here have already suggested, since you are in Florida find a place where lessons are taught, and then take them. Get yourself to a yacht club or marina and offer to crew. If you aren't too impatient, buy a small sailboat and get out there and get some practice. If you can sail the little ones you can sail the big ones.

But, before you leave on the big adventure - see a reputable psychiatrist.....you need some help.
Old 06-05-2015, 13:00   #49
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post

Here we have a guy with a very expensive boat. Telling ME (who has no boat) to go buy one and go sailing instead of doing research. And he is on this thread (not sailing?) telling me that.

You don't seem to get it at all. I never told you to go buy a boat. In fact I believe I've been clear many times on telling newbies NOT to go out and buy a boat. What I tell them is to go sailing somehow before leaping in and/or worrying about boat stuff before they know whether they like it.

BTW - What makes you think I'm not on my boat right now And if you had been on CF more than 1 month before insulting those that have; you would know I have a cheap boat, just ask people
Old 06-05-2015, 13:01   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I hope others like me who live in areas where water and inexpensive boats abound are not thought of as elitest when we claim that dreams of cruising require a boat, some practice and water.

Sure, the resouces may be easier for some than others, but a boat, practice and water are essential. This is sound advice. If you can't obtain those things, then goals would need to be changed.

In the days of Sir Thomas Lipton sailing was a rich man's sport, but that's not true today. There's nothing rude in stating that one would need to have the boat and water and experience.
What was said is:

Quote:
Maybe you should get off the sofa where you have been reading your sailing books and posting on the internet, and instead go learn to sail.
That is rude.

Today, too many people on this very forum assume that if you are going to sail, you ALREADY have the money to go do whatever YOU (yes, I am speaking to YOU) think needs to be done, in the sequence YOU think it needs to be done in.

IN then end, I do need to sail if I am going to sail. That is pretty much a WTFO kind of statement. And pretty stupid of you to say that if I do say so myself.

However if you think saying that is adding anything to the conversation, you are sadly mistaken. And it kinda sounds as if you are talking to a child. Believe me I am not a child.

What is NOT required to buy a boat and go sail off into the sunset is to do things in the order YOU think they need to be done, nor in the time frame YOU think they need to be done.

I am 60 years old. I have survived and thrived in this world without your advice. Startling to you perhaps, but true none the less. So if I (or any poster) ask any question whatsoever, answer the damned question. Or just shake your head and move on to the next thread if you are tired of that question. Either choice is valid.

Or... you could say stupid stuff like "sailing a boat is necessary f you want to sail a boat."
Old 06-05-2015, 13:09   #51

Quote:
It would be amusing if it weren't irritating. Certain "Old salts" check into the thread only to say how irritating the thread is,how it has been discussed a bajillion times. Then check back in daily to say it again.

Here we have a guy with a very expensive boat. Telling ME (who has no boat) to go buy one and go sailing instead of doing research. And he is on this thread (not sailing?) telling me that.

I have to guess the actual sailing is so mundane to him that he'd rather be on here trashing folks.

Now I am hoping that once I get my boat I will love sailing so much that I will mostly disappear from this forum.

And if I do check back it will not be for the sole purpose of being rude.
It is very good advice to actually try sailing instead of just dreaming about it. The reality of being on a boat is very different than what you read. Many before you have learned that expensive lesson.

When you are doing your research how do you evaluate what you are reading if you have never held a tiller?

For some reason you get angry when you receive good advice?

BTW, as has been already said, there are thousands of threads on this topic on the internet. There really isn't anything new to add.
Old 06-05-2015, 13:16   #52

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
53! I'm 72, a woman, and just bought my 30' Bristol. Went back to work after retiring to get a kitty for the boat and next April I go u to Ct, get my boat and I'm gone...... my friends all think I'm nuts too. But while they're bored to death, not having any fun, I'm doing and learning and have a full life. Go for it and I wish you the best.

Sweet boat.

See ya at the Brass Monkey on Boot a Key.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 06-05-2015, 13:21   #53

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Your profile says you are in "NC" yet you are not near a body water. Apparently don't have the funds to go to a place where there is water sufficient for sailing. How do you expect to learn how to sail?

Take it from folks who have done it. Sailing is something you need to DO. Yes, you can learn much from books - and there is nothing wrong with gobbling up every book you can while you are waiting for the eventual, needed, time on the water with a tiller in your hand, bile rising in your throat on a short, choppy sea with a large unlit fishing trawler bearing down on you coming out of the fog in the middle of the night and you suddenly realize this ain't for you.

Experiential learning is mandatory in sailing. Kinda like downhill skiing. I watched college classmates go on a ski trip who had never been skiing. The refused all lessons, strapped on the skis, got on the gondola car to the top of the mountain where all the black diamond runs were. They had all read about skiing, they said. A few dozen feet down the run they gave up, took off their skis and walked down the hill.

Can you do that on a boat in the middle of the ocean?

Careful assuming folks in sailboats are rich. Even those with larger boats. Those kinds of assumptions are gonna backfire on ya.
Old 06-05-2015, 13:22   #54

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
It is very good advice to actually try sailing instead of just dreaming about it. The reality of being on a boat is very different than what you read. Many before you have learned that expensive lesson.

When you are doing your research how do you evaluate what you are reading if you have never held a tiller?

BTW, as has been already said, there are thousands of threads on this topic on the internet. There really isn't anything new to add.
I have to agree. The get your ass off the sofa was rude. The OP sounded like a legit. request. I've been crass at times so it is what it is. It happens.

So I hope everyone gets over it and stops acting like kids.
Old 06-05-2015, 13:26   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
It is very good advice to actually try sailing instead of just dreaming about it.

Sailpower, you do realize that I am not you. I live where I live. I have the bills that I have. I have the bank account that I have. I have the life that I have.

So all of what you said is absolutely correct. However to say that I need to get off the couch and go do anything that you think I should do, when you think I should do it is just flat out rude. I am not sitting on the couch to start with. I am sitting in my home office dealing with clients today. I have two small children that demand my attention today.

So "get off the couch and go sailing" is not good advice, it is rude. I will go sailing when I am ready and able to go sailing.

I would not dream of talking like that to you. If I did I would expect you to tell me what a rude ass I am to make any such assumptions.

Quote:
And yet, here you are???
Old 06-05-2015, 13:27   #56

Boat: Cal 39

Since you've not sailed before or made passages I think that before spending on a boat you should take lessons. The lessons CAN be on a charter with only you two and a paid captain/teacher. Then just the two of you try chartering for a minimum of a week, preferably two, with at least one short day passage and an overnight passage. If you are still interested in buying a boat and sailing/cruising then go for it. H--l, if you're still married you'd be doing well to consider your dream.

As for age, I'm still sailing and I'm 80.
Old 06-05-2015, 13:33   #57

To the OP, I bumped my head as well apparently!

I have spent months "on the couch" studying sailing, boats, lingo, these threads. I have bought many books which I have read. I am talking to an owner about buying a boat. All without "going sailing".

Which drives certain folks bat crazy.

If I end up with a boat first, then I will learn to sail on my own boat. Sounds like a plan. Maybe not the plan others here would use but a plan none the less.

So do whatever you want to do. Don't let family or friends tell you that you are crazy.
Old 06-05-2015, 13:39   #58

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

This morning I got word from my son that they were towed in by the CG after a fire in the engine compartment. The skipper of the boat insisted on telling me how grateful he was to have such a level headed young man onboard.

My point is that while there is no denying the glamorous appeal of sailing under a clear sky, there are many other aspects of the sport that cause people to shy away from it.

Kinda like falling in love with a picture of a woman.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 06-05-2015, 13:50   #59

Quote:
Sailpower, you do realize that I am not you. I live where I live. I have the bills that I have. I have the bank account that I have. I have the life that I have.

So all of what you said is absolutely correct. However to say that I need to get off the couch and go do anything that you think I should do, when you think I should do it is just flat out rude. I am not sitting on the couch to start with. I am sitting in my home office dealing with clients today. I have two small children that demand my attention today.

So "get off the couch and go sailing" is not good advice, it is rude. I will go sailing when I am ready and able to go sailing.

I would not dream of talking like that to you. If I did I would expect you to tell me what a rude ass I am to make any such assumptions.

And yet, here you are???
For the record I didn't use the phrase "get off the coach". Also I wasn't rude. You are pretty thin skinned if you took my post that way.

Everyone does it their way so have at it. Maybe you will actually own a boat someday. Some dreamers get there. If you do I hope that it is everything that you dreamed it would be.

Speaking of advice, in the other thread you recommended a Hunter 33 to someone. I asked if you have ever sailed on one. You didn't respond.
Old 06-05-2015, 14:34   #60

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I hope we didn't lose the OP in the quibbling over $$. If he is planning on retiring in his early 50's he should be able to afford a charter or a sail school vacation.

It is possible to cruise many years in the more benign areas without making a long passage or dealing with the perfect storm.

Tags
head

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: