Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2009, 09:35   #1

Boat: Catalina 350 mkII - PrairieGold
Haul Out or Leave in Water Over Winter?

This is my first season of boat ownership. I have to decide whether to have my catalina 35 hauled out for the winter (Boston) or whether to leave it in the water over the winter. I have had mixed comments but have been surprised that many say leave it in the water. I can leave it in a very protected marina. Your thoughts would be appreciated. cheers
prairiephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 10:36   #2

Boat: 1980 Moody 33 C/C & 50ft Steel Houseboat
Leave in water if harbor does not freeze or is properly bubbled...although that may end up costing much more than land storage if you have to pay electric bill on the bubblers and/or buy the bubblers...their not cheap. Pull boat in freshwater every 5 years or so and do a proper bottom job. In saltwater, pull more often and keep bottom clean.

The reason some (me) often leave in the water a few years is that water supports the hull better than jackstands. Long-term dry storage would ideally be using a good cradle. $2000-2500.00 for a quality cradle unless you make it yourself. This year I am pulling out for winter to re-do the bottom this spring. Next year I may be back in freshwater again.

Stay thirsty, my friends...
Rvrratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 12:16   #3

I have wintered my boat in wet storage in LIS aside from 3 winters in the Caribbean and a couple of haul outs since 1985. No problem. Boats are meant to be supported by their hull with the keel pulling down. On the hard the loads, ie weight of the boat is resisted by the keel and steadied by 7 or 8 jack stands. This is not advisable, but probably not harmful. Your hull can dry out a bit, if it takes on water. And that could be a consideration. But if you have a good gelcoat or a barrier coat than this is unnecessary.

You'll want to unstep the mast if stored on the hard. This is an additional expense with some benefits and hazards. Damage in handling is one of hazards, while protection, inspection and cleaning are the benefits. It costs a lot more too. And you have to re rig everything and de rig everything.

So in water is much cheaper and you get to use the boat more. Some raise the issue of ice. This is rarely a problem, though, most have bubble systems to defeat ice. Your hull is more likely to be lifted than crushed by ice at the dock.

My opinion: go wet. save your money.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 17:54   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Haul out.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 13:30   #5

Boat: Bristol 30
First year with the boat?

Haul it!!!
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 13:39   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Do yourself a huge favor, and move to warmer climates..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 14:35   #7

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
Our boat has been in the water now for four years except when we pull to wash the bottom and check and repair if needed then back in. To me it is more secure, and its where it was meant to be.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out