Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 14:01   #31

Boat: Pearson Triton
Re: Hatch Security

For companionway hatch I had some stainless grates fabricated in Ecuador similar to those on James Baldwin's site. Quotes in US were $800+. Cost in Ecuador was $120 and had them the next day...but that's another discussion.

For my deck hatch I made up a prototype of stainless bars and L-brackets. A top piece and bottom piece "sandwich" together at right angles and are fastened with a padlock. These only work with the hatch open so really only for anchorage. But...I like that I didn't have to modify the hatch or drill any holes.

I did make one out of 3/4" aluminum but was able to saw through with a hacksaw in less than 30 seconds. The current version is 1/2" stainless that costs/weighs more but seems to be the better choice. L-brackets are 3/16". Hopefully the pics make it clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hatchbars1.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	69791   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatchbars2.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	69792  

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	69793  
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 15:44   #32

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Maybe some of these security hatches will work for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hatch security1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	69794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatch security2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	69795  

Name:	Hatch security3.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	69796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatch security5.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	69797  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:58   #33

I think that in the case of a fire inside the boat that wakes me up in the middle of the night--chocking with smoke, adrenaline pumping through my system--the very LAST thing that I want to have to do is fumble with keys and try to work a padlock in order to get out. That's why I said previously that I think any security measures need to be very quick and easy to open in case of an emergency. I do not consider a padlock to meet the definition of "quick and easy."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 16:13   #34

Josh Slocum thru tacks on his decks at night !
I seen a system on a boat in Culebra that was kinda original . The sailor took a yoga mat and stuck roofing nails thru it every 3 or 4 inches and cut it to fit his cockpit . Roll it out at nite and store in daytime .
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:05   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I think that in the case of a fire inside the boat that wakes me up in the middle of the night--chocking with smoke, adrenaline pumping through my system--the very LAST thing that I want to have to do is fumble with keys and try to work a padlock in order to get out. That's why I said previously that I think any security measures need to be very quick and easy to open in case of an emergency. I do not consider a padlock to meet the definition of "quick and easy."
Fair point - but no one size fits all solution. Folks have to judge own risks (fire vs intruders), with a grill being only one small part of the risk management for both.

Having said that, am sure with a bit of thought a quick release mechanism could be constructed.......of course that does not fit in well with the normal (unwritten) requirement on these sorts of threads - of not needing to use any brain cells (and usually also being cheap!....."I have $200k of boat, am terrified of intruders - how can I travel to every backwater on the planet and be 110% safe for less than a dollar in a way that requires no use of own brain cells?" ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:51   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
."I have $200k of boat, am terrified of intruders - how can I travel to every backwater on the planet and be 110% safe for less than a dollar in a way that requires no use of own brain cells?" ).
Surely that's not too much to ask? My safety and comfort is everyone's top concern isn't it?
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 14:52   #37

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Have one of these knocked up

The hatch, I mean....
Mark
I'd be very interested in where this image came from. This is, minus the insect screen I'd like on the back, to be exactly what I was thinking about as far as night time security goes.
MarcStAug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch, security