Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 08:23   #106

Boat: Jason 35
Re: Has Heavy-Weather Experience Influenced Your Choice of Boat?

Read half of Slocom's book. A hero in the sailing ranks, but not much of a writer, as I see it. I do plan to finish it, though.

Read Pidgeon's account. It was good, and although no Du Maurier or Joyce, he was better with the pen than Slocum.

The others, especially the Pardey's, I plan to get to in due time.
Old 28-02-2015, 08:51   #107
rlg

Try Webb Chiles too.
A real sailors sailor.
Good luck to you
rlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 09:32   #108

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Joe: Nice correspondence. Thanks.

I read the works of sailors for information, probably pretty much the same for you. Some is hard going and all of it has bits of wisdom I am glad they shared. Near where we keep our boat, Averisera, an Aphrodite 101 (look it up on sailboatdata.com) is a Sea Bird yawl. I look at it an marvel at the thought that this was not too many years ago the epitome of ocean voyagers. The Tahiti Ketch was another. You'd probably be be stopped at the harbor entrance now if the word got out you were going to sail around the world in one today. That said, men did and did so in reasonable comfort.

If you find a book on the Bermuda Race, look at what they used to sail that event in!
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 17:15   #109

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Miles Smeeton's Once Is Enough

Ann
Old 01-03-2015, 07:14   #110

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Yes, of course. Miles Smeeton leads to John Guzzwell and Voyage of Trekka

The thing I get out of all these work is that the preparation of a reasonably sound boat is the critical component.

Our boat, for example was built for ocean racing and has no bridge deck and one cockpit drain a few inches above the waterline. Standard fare in those days. These days, we have learned to have big drains and bridge decks. Ours is a very seaworthy vessel, especially after I fit a bridge deck and add a couple more drains.

Chilly on Cape Cod and not getting warmer for a while!
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:34   #111
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

having experienced stiff winds(over 60 kts) and big seas (over 30 ft ) in sloops and ketches , light and heavy boats, after sailing gom in a seidelmann sloop, i was more convinced than eve3r that my choice f a heavy full keeled ketch is the best ever i could have made. since age 7 i have sailed sloops. i was taught in a classic historic treasure 36 ft gaffrigged sloop.
i LOVE sloops.
UNTIL
they become so much work in heavy seas and winds as to become dangerous.
what i handled with heavy effort in gom in storms of severe rating by noaa, i fi8nd much easier to handle with a split rig here in pacific. chubasco of 60 plus kts at 0400--no problemwith my split rig. squall at 0200 in gom in sloop''oh yeah problem both persons needed to be at helm during heavy weather in that lil performance design of 37 ft.
during 60 plus kt chubasco in ketch with full heaV vy keel--only one soul at helm and it was FUN not work.
sailing is supposed to be enjoyable. i find my choice of heavy displacement with atttached barn door rudder far superior to shipwrecked in a performance sloop with spade newly detached rudder and fin keel. (btdt)
i LOVE my formosa and only wish it were 10 ft larger. i know how to deal with ballroom dance saloons while in a heavy sea.
my initiation to heavy weather was in a classic gaff sloop in 1956.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 14:56   #112

Boat: Valiant 40

Heavy weather design and seaworthiness was a consideration when I bought my Valiant and she has not let me down. She's an ocean SUV and loves a good blow and a big sea.

On the hull design front, give me some forefoot please! When the sea is up is nothing more anxiety provoking than being on boat with a flat forefoot, unless you're racing, pounding away, waiting for something to break.

I'm with everyone else on the cabin size/configuration when it comes to security, handholds, bracing in the galley, sea berths, etc. I would add to the list adequate storage. If you can't properly stow something it becomes a liability when things get ugly.

i'm also with Weyalan regarding boat preparation, and one related design/construction aspect that I think is critical is the ability to get to all of the systems and as much of the hull as possible without having to tear the boat apart. I get a bit nervous offshore on linered boats for that reason.

And overbuilt is also never a bad thing, within reason.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 19:29   #113

Hey Norm, thanks.

As far as boats and their attributes, it has been said that this boat should have this and that boat should have that, and to a ppoint, I agree. However, a boat should be one that you can love and trust, you know, kind of like a wife (or husband). And like a wife (or husband), she can be irritating at times, but she's yours.

Like any spouse, pick one of lesser quality, and you're probably in for some heartache.

Having said all that, if you are a real outdoors person, one who loves camping and fishing, and you get someone who's idea of an outdoors adventure is hacking their way through designer retail shops and food court franchises, then you've made yourself a poor match.

And so with sailboats.

So if you like Grace Kelly or Paris Hilton and want a sweet, lovely, delicate little flower, then stay coastal. However, if you 're like me and would sell your life for a Gina Carano or Danai Gurira, then you got you some powerful, strong, even just a bit 'mean' bitch that'll challenge you, yell back at you, might even back-hand you now and then. But if it gets rough out there and you really need her, she'll fight the elements with every drop of her being to take care of you.
Old 02-03-2015, 19:43   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
However, if you 're like me and would sell your life for a Gina Carano or Danai Gurira, then you got you some powerful, strong, even just a bit 'mean' bitch that'll challenge you, yell back at you, might even back-hand you now and then. But if it gets rough out there and you really need her, she'll fight the elements with every drop of her being to take care of you.
I hear from afar that various US states are now beginning to legally recognize such partnerships. Bruce Jenner comes to mind.

Recently, I'm gravitating towards splitting the difference, with a wide-beamed, spade-keeled, ketch-rigged, 52'-59' Little Harbor. Extra fuel, water, freezer capacity, AC, washer/dryer, 24/7/365 Internet connectivity, and davits, of course. Don't wish to get tied up and whipped ALL the time.

The Expat
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 19:52   #115

Lol, PortClyde. Bruce Jenner. No, for me, the the plumbing needs to be there . . . from birth!

About your boat aspirations. Unless you got crew, seems a bit of a big bite swallow, 50+ feet. But, to each his own, I suppose.
Old 02-03-2015, 20:10   #116

Quote:
Lol, PortClyde. Bruce Jenner. No, for me, the the plumbing needs to be there . . . from birth!

About your boat aspirations. Unless you got crew, seems a bit of a big bite swallow, 50+ feet. But, to each his own, I suppose.
I'll go 63', if needed. Still prefer 60' max.

Something along the lines of this little honey currently sleeping in San Diego: Navtec hydraulic, North equipped, all roller furling, bow thruster, autopilot, etc.

1987 Little Harbor Little Harbor 63 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 02-03-2015, 20:15   #117

Hey Port, you ever handle a boat that size? If so, how many total crew and captain?
Old 02-03-2015, 20:26   #118

Quote:
Hey Port, you ever handle a boat that size? If so, how many total crew and captain?
No Jace, I never have. However, where there's a will, there's a way. My wife and I are currently looking for a VERY nice live-aboard, which we can also use for occasional blue-water passages. We began by looking at 42-footers, primarily Hinckleys. However, LOA has been steadily increasing to coincide with our realistic wants/needs. The more cockpit automation, the better. Wifey has never sailed. Fun times, indeed.
Old 02-03-2015, 20:51   #119

Well Port, if I may be so bold . . .

I crewed on a 58 footer once. There were 6 of us handling it, one skipper, 5 crew. Short trip, maybe 30-40 miles. Kemah, Tx to the yacht basin on Galveston island. Motored most of the way as we were in the channel for the better part of the trip. However we did sail some. Got a fairly fresh winds about the last dozen or so miles.

Let me tell you one sumthin! We were worn out by the time we pulled into the marina. A boat over 45 feet becomes more work than you can foresee, especially in a gale. And that was with six of us!

And as far as 'automated' stuff, might be fine close to home or just off shore, but in the middle of the Atlantic, you don't want to rely on automation! Got to anticipate doing it ALL on your own, no electronic help.

And after a single trip in a boat of such size, when you and your wife get back to land, count on being either a land-lubber husband, or a single-handed sailor.

Just a friendly suggestion- you might want to re-think your length requirements. I'd hate to see you all decked out, then be forced to spend all your time within a twenty mile radius of your marina just because you have too much boat to go further out.

And you'd be surprised how downright cozy a 35 or 40 foot boat can be.

Just a thought.

Trust me, in 60+ knots and 30 foot seas you'll appreciate that smaller deck area to crawl across, not to mention dowsing headsail or main.
Old 02-03-2015, 22:05   #120

Quote:
Well Port, if I may be so bold . . .

Just a thought.

Trust me, in 60+ knots and 30 foot seas you'll appreciate that smaller deck area to crawl across, not to mention dowsing headsail or main.
Well, I say, good sir! Yes, you may be so bold, and thank you for your contribution. I've been on many a boat, or 6, and from a very young age. She hasn't, and yes, that's an important point.

We haven't yet abandoned the 42' LOA idea. Still thinking, and planning. We're two years out, give or take. Regardless, you won't see us "all decked out" and circling the marina.

1985 Hank Hinckley 42 Pilothouse Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com