Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-04-2015, 01:25   #1

Boat: Bavaria Vision 44
Hard antifoul paints available in Oz?

Calling all Aussies, or anyone with experience antifouling in Oz recently...

Can anyone recommend a hard antifoul other than Altex #10 (which is out of production until re-release at the Sydney Boat Show in July, apparently) or International Ultra (which at $260 per 4L tin is ridiculously pricey)?

We are in Sydney & Newcastle now, but lifting next month at the Boat Works, Gold Coast.

Thanks,
Jim

PS. Given the price of copper has plummeted 30% over the last couple of years, and is now at prices equivalent to those in 2006, can anyone explain why copper-based antifouling paints are at all time highs...?!

Old 22-04-2015, 04:17   #2

Boat: Beneteau 373
Re: Hard antifoul paints available in Oz?

The best hard is micron 66 very slippery in the water but expensive

Sent from my G630-U251 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 22-04-2015, 05:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
Thanks, Ben.

But, yep, at $350 for a single 3.78L can (at Whitworths), that is expensive! In the absence of some deep-pocketed race sponsor, does anyone really pay that?

I was hoping for something a bit less of a gouge, and acknowledge that probably means some manufacturer other than International...
Old 22-04-2015, 05:35   #4

Boat: Beneteau 373

yes I am a dope and pay it. works well you get hardly any slime and hence good speed on the investment of your expensive boat.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-04-2015, 08:28   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
You are correct in that Micron 66 is an excellent anti fouling paint. It is not a hard paint however. It is a "hybrid" ablative.
Old 22-04-2015, 10:34   #6

I used to use a product called "COPPERBOT" out of the UK, it was Xclnt. Even after 10 yrs on high speed cats in the middle east it still had life in it. An oz company plagurised it not sure how good it was, had a very similar name.
copperbot made from water based epoxy and pure fine copper beads. A pia to apply but on a small yacht it's well and truly worth it imo.
Old 22-04-2015, 14:08   #7

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There, if you manage to find a different antifoul, make sure it does not react with existing antifoul. Boats are painted using systems. Ray
Old 22-04-2015, 14:49   #8

Boat: Van de Stadt Pioneer 930-9.3m

You could try Ameron ABC 3 which is available in Brisbane from Seairland at Eagle Farm (Ph 07 32687511 )
I've been using it for 10 years and it works and lasts really well.
Old 22-04-2015, 15:47   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I second the Ameron ABC 3, recommendation. It came up very well in the Cruising Helmsman antifoul comparison, has extremely high copper content, and wears well. I've been using it for the last couple of years, very happy with it.

It's < 1/2 the price of micron 66 BTW...

If you're lifting at the boat works, the shop there say they will match anyone's price on antifoul paint. They usually stock ABC 3, and will get in anything else if you want.
Old 22-04-2015, 16:16   #10

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Calling all Aussies, or anyone with experience antifouling in Oz recently...

Can anyone recommend a hard antifoul other than Altex #10 (which is out of production until re-release at the Sydney Boat Show in July, apparently) or International Ultra (which at $260 per 4L tin is ridiculously pricey)?

We are in Sydney & Newcastle now, but lifting next month at the Boat Works, Gold Coast.

Thanks,
Jim

PS. Given the price of copper has plummeted 30% over the last couple of years, and is now at prices equivalent to those in 2006, can anyone explain why copper-based antifouling paints are at all time highs...?!

Coppercoat (the original, Lloyds certified, and on the market for well over twenty years) is available in Australia. Just search 'Coppercoat, Australia', and you will find it. We have it on our boats and would not use anything else. Saving money after two years in our case, and the first boat has now had it on for seven years and going strong.
Disclosure - we liked it so much, when the agency came up, we took it on for Australia 18 months ago, but have been a fan of the product for years.
Old 22-04-2015, 16:49   #11

Boat: FP Mahe 36

Harlequin,

There is a new product out called Oceanguard (see link below). Although relatively expensive it looks like good value and I'd be interested to hear of other peoples opinions. At the moment I'm using Altex #5 and am quite happy with it.

Regards,

Brian

How To Apply - Oceangard
Old 22-04-2015, 19:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I second the Ameron ABC 3, recommendation. It came up very well in the Cruising Helmsman antifoul comparison, has extremely high copper content, and wears well. I've been using it for the last couple of years, very happy with it. It's < 1/2 the price of micron 66 BTW...

If you're lifting at the boat works, the shop there say they will match anyone's price on antifoul paint. They usually stock ABC 3, and will get in anything else if you want.
Thanks for that, and to Tibor for the recommendation - I will take a look. Isn't it ablative, though? Or maybe one of the harder 'hybrids'?

Thanks also for the tip about the paint shop at The Boat Works - I've just dropped them a line too, for advice.

Jim
Old 22-04-2015, 19:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpkas View Post
There is a new product out called Oceanguard (see link below). Although relatively expensive it looks like good value and I'd be interested to hear of other peoples opinions. At the moment I'm using Altex #5 and am quite happy with it.
Thanks, Brian. I'm sure Oceanguard would be nice (although not sure how it would handle the lift back into the water, getting a 15/2 tonne grip from each strop), as would Copperbot/shield. I just don't have the budget for them.

We have a Powerdive on board, and regularly use it to give the hull a wipe - hence preferring non-ablative.

I've used International Ultra and VC Offshore in the past (before their prices went crazy) then switched to Altex #10 when antifouling in NZ last year. I've been very happy with it's performance since then, including 10 months in the tropical waters of Fiji, Vanuatu, New Cal and QLD.

Shame I can't get a hold of it in Oz right now!

Jim
Old 22-04-2015, 22:27   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Thanks for that, and to Tibor for the recommendation - I will take a look. Isn't it ablative, though? Or maybe one of the harder 'hybrids'?

Thanks also for the tip about the paint shop at The Boat Works - I've just dropped them a line too, for advice.

Jim
AFAIK, ABC 3 is ablative, but it's quite hard wearing. Compared to say Altex number 5, (IMO also an effective antifoul) it is much harder. We have a pretty fast boat, often sailing in the teens, have seen >24 knots on the GPS, and it hangs in very well. Stays clean too.
Old 23-04-2015, 02:23   #15

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran

We put Amercoat ABC 3 on Catlypso last June when at Boatworks. It cost $381.82 for 10 litres at the shop there. For our 38 foot cat, we needed to buy another 4 litres, but only used about 2 or so. We put two coats on. So far no real growth, just a bit of slime which a very light rub removed.

clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: