Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2015, 01:17   #31

Re: Harbour Stench in Shoes

Went in from dinghy earlier this year. Had iPad and iPhone with me. Went into Apple Shop and they replaced both at less half price. Great service!
markje4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 06:47   #32

Boat: 2012 Jeanneau SO 44DS

Being a Podiatrist, I can tell you stink in the shoes does come from bacteria and or fungus. The most effective way to get rid of the smell that I have found is something called a SteriShoe. It kills 99.9% of all fungus and bacteria? They run about $150 USD and you can use them on all your shoes regularly. The second generation model is one size fits all and works much faster, about 15 minutes. I gave one to my brother 2 years ago as a holiday gift and my sister in law called me and thanked me . She said it was a miracle.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Fulmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 07:27   #33

Boat: csy 37

Get Crocs.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 08:35   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Baking soda won't kill any source of odor, it only absorbs odors--not their sources--so it will make things smell better while it is fresh and doing that job. Once it is used up or damp, the odor will come back as long as the source is still there.

Sterishoe is a clever idea, but since it kills the source (all organic life) by UV-C light, it can only kill what it can 'see'. So in the case of shoes that have been soaked, presumably with anaerobic bacteria from the harbor muck now thoroughly infused into any porous foam or under the inner padding, etc....Sterishoe won't fix them, it will only kill the critters "on top" in the shoe. Which will help, but not fix the problem.

A thorough rinsing & cleaning, using water (a handy solvent and often the right one) to clean out the debris & critters, and ozone to PENETRATE into all the unseen spaces and crevices, is probably still going to do the best job. If water ruins the shoes, well, there's no other help for them, they've been soaked anyway.

I like the idea of Sterishoe someplace like a bowling alley, when "stuff from the last guys feet" may be a concern in rental shoes.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc