Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 17:10   #1

Boat: Beneteau 50
Happy - On the Boat

Well I'm back on the boat tonight. And even thought it's blowing outside and raining, I'm happy. Here's a shot of the radar composite:

The ocean was forecast to be 10-16 feet today. I didn't get much of a chance to look at it, since I had work phone calls to make and then the rain and wind kept me from wanting to dinghy to shore to drive over to see it.

The wind did eventually die down for about an hour. Then it switched from calm to off-shore. It hit us broadside and actually torqued the boat around. I wish I'd seen it approaching but I was below decks working.

The seagulls have decided to use our foredeck as a lunch table. Crab claws and less pleasant smelling things are all over. Tomorrow I'll use the deck brush and bucket. Then I'll run some 40 pound monofilament in different directions across the desk. That might keep them away.

Listening to Siruis satellite music now (channel 22, 1st Wave, Blondie's on) and contemplating installing the new-to-me Saltzer shore power/inverter power switch.

Believe it or not, right now I'm hitting the internet via wifi to a marina that's 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away, at 4.5 Mbps! I tested it with this.

Here's the proof for those who are doubting me.

That's with UBNT's Bullet2HP and a 12db gain antenna hanging down from the boom in the cockpit! Can't wait to get it mounted up at the top of the mast. Everything's ready, all I have to do is climb up the mast and screw the antenna into the bracket where the mystery antenna was (easy), and then run the cat5 cable down the inside of the mast (more difficult). I suppose I ought to write-up the test results from using a 9db versus a 12db antenna. I would like to get everything permanently mounted first.

So are you on your boat right now? How are you doing?

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 17:19   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
On the chessie its perfect. Glad to be aboard too. After a long week its a release to be out on the mooring removed. Helps that my Iphone fell into a very swamped dinghy and although i fished it out in seconds and have dried it at 175 deg for 30 minutes Im afraid to turn it on. No phone calls tonight. Probably go sailing in an hour if the wind keeps up but just up the creek a few hours. Nice to have that as an option.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 17:29   #3

Boat: Beneteau 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
On the chessie its perfect. Glad to be aboard too. After a long week its a release to be out on the mooring removed. Helps that my Iphone fell into a very swamped dinghy and although i fished it out in seconds and have dried it at 175 deg for 30 minutes Im afraid to turn it on. No phone calls tonight. Probably go sailing in an hour if the wind keeps up but just up the creek a few hours. Nice to have that as an option.
Glad you are enjoying it sabray.

For your Iphone, get a vacuum cleaner and put the nozzle right up to an opening on the side of it. That will suck the water and moisture out of it and dry it. (Lower pressure means more evaporization, instead of raising the temperature to get the evaporation.) Let is run for hours, switching to differnt openings. That worked for my cell phone after it got submerged. It works if you are in a house and can put the vacuum in another room and forget about it for a few hours. Not sure what to do if you are on the hook.

It's blowing 18-24 knots out. Just measured it.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 18:09   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
Damn it now it will work and I won't get the g4. Or it won't and my employer will never get me a replacement or fire me and Ill have to move aboard sailing around from port to port looking for employment from someone who hasn't heard I m an apple killer.
Thanks for the tip getting the vac out right now very slowly
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 18:12   #5

Sabray,

Put your phone in a bag full of rice to remove all the moisture.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote