Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2014, 06:59   #1

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Happy dance

Spring can not get around any sooner now. The lake has to thaw now we have plenty of runoff to fill her back up this year. The crowded lake by me I found what to be a very favorable slip for my first sail boat. It's a end slip right in a cove that used to be many years have nothing but sailboats. My Aquarius will be a happy boat with any time I can spend on her I will. I won't even care if there is no wind. I'll be happy to be on her, playing, touching, pulling, pushing, anything I can make move.

I never thought in my dreams I'd even get onto a sailboat or to even own one. She a 23' but she's my first and I can't wait to even pull the mast up once the weather is ok enough while she's on the hard. This rat race is a killer but I'm a bigger killer and I want it. I can see it in reach more and more.

Last summer I found a small bass boat and any chance I had I was out on the water. Launching it on a night or two after work till the sun rose to spending all weekend on it. I've stayed out there till Monday morning some weekends it was s nice out and and ahhhh. I can't wait. The first time I spent 3 days out on the water was on that boat and what a funny feeling it was getting back on land. This winter I found the Aquarius. Keel swings cabin is bare but clean. Floor/bilge spotless. Sails good for the lake and for me to learn on. I don't even know what I have. I know a main and 2 extra Genoas maybe for a total of 3. It even has a roller furling! Perfect to just get out there. All I know I am just going to have a blast getting to know her and to do something I thought there would never be time to do.

I am already thinking to anchor out hop in my dinghy and take it to the restaurant just for kicks. Act like I have a main sail issue have just the Genoa out, even to sail in and out of slip. Just any variable I can toss out there. Docking under sail may be tricky I have to spin 180 in kind of a narrow Cove. I envision almost a Blues Brothers parallel parking job sailing in. (it always goes well in your head but I will not attempt it if it is to careless) Nosing it in attach a spring line to pull the bow in and let the stern swing around and tapping my port side to the dock. Just to do it for if a attempt is feasible.

wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 07:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Happy dance

Congrats man!

You gotta de bug!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 07:39   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Have a wonderful season on your first boat.
Old 29-03-2014, 07:51   #4

Boat: hunter 376

You're going to have a great summer, cruising and learning. Sail handling, anchoring, navigating, and more.
I was told once that, if you want the "sailing experience" during winter, just stand under an ice cold shower, and keep tearing up $100 dollar bills.
Cheers, and congrats on the boat.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 08:02   #5

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

You are gonna have a great time. Congrats.
Old 29-03-2014, 08:03   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
You're going to have a great summer, cruising and learning. Sail handling, anchoring, navigating, and more.
I was told once that, if you want the "sailing experience" during winter, just stand under an ice cold shower, and keep tearing up $100 dollar bills.
Cheers, and congrats on the boat.
You forgot sleeping inside spot double on the couch and cold weather newspaper retrival/"snubber adjustment" training...

Old 29-03-2014, 09:47   #7

Lol HappyMdRSailor. I've spend some cold nights already with the heater going on till I could not take the "polar vortex" which I call a normal winter.

I've always had a bug just could never find the right intoxicant. I think 1 million miles on land is enough for me time to change it to NM.

::thumbs:: oldragbraggers im going to make it my best. Tis will be a fun time. It is looking like I'm going to even ::gasp:: have more time then I've had in the past 10 years to be out there more then last year. It's depressing living next to this lake for bout 25 years and finally be able to have my own vessel with the time.

Shorebird I'm really am looking forward to anything wet. Heck I may even shower on deck one night in the rain. Currently I'm out in all of the weather all hours of the day. What's a couple more Benjamins torn up right? It's all about having fun. ::thumbs::

Cheers Mark thank you!!

Haha HappyMdRSailor.

Old 29-03-2014, 10:01   #8

Boat: Beneteau 473

What a great time you are going to have. I remember our first, a 27' Catalina, we kept her in a slip on the Great Salt Lake. We were so in love with her that we would spend freezing cold weekends on her (no heat). The best days were in the winter during the January/February thaw -- 40+ degrees and sunny, we loved those days, the sailing was great!

Enjoy!
Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 12:39   #9

Yeah Robin I see it now and I feel the excitement as many say spring is in the air. Even in a rain storm I'll stay out there just slap on my rain gear. Unlike last year we motored to the other end of the lake to avoid the rain. Took shelter at a bar ahhh. Have a little more privacy for the ladies who tolerate me to. To many kids and people around for them to just drop trousers and drop. With the lake usually around 70 through the summer give or take a few degrees I'm hoping the cabin will retain a little warmth through the season and chilly rains.

This lake has maybe 50 miles of shore line pretty decent lake but it does ice over come winter. I passed by today and if temperatures stay how they are and next weekend play with the mast see my sail inventory, still take a slight bend out of the rudder shaft, touch up the bottom paint. It may hit water before the end of the April. Even picked up a boat grill today!

There is always stuff to do but this past month kinda messed with priorities and allotted time between my arm going out on me going to the doctor and a unfortunate house fire pushed back some key things that we have been planning to do. All is ok no one got hurt just lost the house cat. Good news tho all things for the boat was on the other side of the house.

Old 15-04-2014, 07:20   #10

Boat: Beneteau 473

So are you about ready for the first sail? I had to fly home and help my son -- it snowed here on Sunday and is going to snow again tomorrow
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 07:26   #11

In continuation of the updates of the first year learning to sail. The weather is getting nicer out and we are slowly getting ready to dip her in the water. This past weekend we got the mast up. Surprisingly it was easier then expected. Just have to get the back stay turnbuckle all the way out before trying to attach the roller to the bow.

Also picked up a outboard for her. A 9.8HP Merc 110 for a real good bargain love it when friends clean out their garages. This week Ill be getting that fired up. Already dropped the lower unit to check out the water impeller and it looks all good. If its to short I can always trade or resell the motor.

Next week hoping to redo the lip on a hatch and also rig up the boom before we drop it in. Just to make it look like we have somewhat of a idea when launching her for the first time.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_220140413_161913.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	79392  
Old 15-04-2014, 07:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
So are you about ready for the first sail? I had to fly home and help my son -- it snowed here on Sunday and is going to snow again tomorrow
Yes very ready It will be fun to learn and to have a classic boat as she it on that lake. It will be very fun to even have a bunk to sleep on other then the other boat last year. I got a good feeling many times we will be out there just lost on what to do or trim but maybe Ill swing past the local yacht club on a weekend they are out and pick up a few pointers.
Old 16-04-2014, 04:21   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great job man!

You're almost there!

You won't have any problems with the OB shaft length, I don't think... You can check it out pretty well on the trailer... Lower the OB and see where the powerhead sits relative to the bootstripe...

Glad your mast was easy to raise... None of them are insane, just some harder than others...

Old 16-04-2014, 06:34   #14

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Congratulations and enjoy. I learned on an Oday22 even though I'd had other beach catamarans I had no idea what I was doing. It sounds like you have the right attitude and are willing to laugh at yourself. I know I sure did alot, and thinking back I'm just glad I didn't sink it! Be sure and look at any through hulls to make sure they are in ok shape and then check out the hoses and clamps that connect to them. Other than that just make sure and look for leaks once you have it in the water while at the ramp. Remember the pointy end of the sails go up! :P
Old 16-04-2014, 06:35   #15

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Also let's see some more pics of the boat and the inside!