Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 15:36   #76

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Hank On or Furling Head Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andren View Post
From the many positions on furling vs. hank-on it appears that it boils down to preference. In 42 years of sailing my preference evolved into side by side twin headstays. Most weather may be handled with one or the other bagged jibs. The staysail stay may be left in running position or it may be disconnected from the aft end of the bowsprit and moved 90 deg to starboard, attached to forward shroud tang.
An old thread comes back to life! Twin headstays, now that is something I have not seen in many years but was not uncommon 20 or 30 (or was it 40?) years ago on cruising boats. I always thought it seemed like a good idea. I wonder how many other folks use that rig?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 18:20   #77

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Me!

Sent from my iPhone so apologies for weird autocorrect typos.
Old 27-01-2016, 18:35   #78

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^
Really? I hadn't realized Manera had twin headstays. The only problem I've heard of with them is that if they are too close together, and you have hanked on sails, there are times when you can get the two sets of hanks fouled.

Andre,

Welcome aboard, sir.

Ann
Old 27-01-2016, 19:17   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
^^^
Really? I hadn't realized Manera had twin headstays.
Yep, Manera has the monster rig. The only boat I have personally seen with more bits of wire holding up the mast was Parry Endeavour, and it was love at first site.

Slightly unusual arrangement on Manera, the forestays are separated fore and aft by 12 inches or more. Furler on the rear forestay, hank-on for the forward forestay. Then there's the removable staysail stay further back.

Lots of options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forestays.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	117817  
Old 27-01-2016, 20:11   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Yep, Manera has the monster rig. The only boat I have personally seen with more bits of wire holding up the mast was Parry Endeavour, and it was love at first site.

Slightly unusual arrangement on Manera, the forestays are separated fore and aft by 12 inches or more. Furler on the rear forestay, hank-on for the forward forestay. Then there's the removable staysail stay further back.

Lots of options.
Great! But, yes that is a bit of an unusual arrangement... the forward stay is only used if you know you will be on the same tack for a long time?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 27-01-2016, 20:25   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Great! But, yes that is a bit of an unusual arrangement... the forward stay is only used if you know you will be on the same tack for a long time?
To be honest... I haven't actually used it yet. I kind of think of it as a spare to hold up the mast if the furler stay snaps.

I suppose I could jibe the foresail around the front of the forestay if I wanted to change tacks... a bit like I do with the MPS.
Old 28-01-2016, 01:11   #82

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

GILow,

What if you posted a thread about how to use it? I bet you'd get a lot of feedback, and you could include andren in it!

a.
Old 28-01-2016, 01:38   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
GILow,

What if you posted a thread about how to use it? I bet you'd get a lot of feedback, and you could include andren in it!

a.
Geez Ann, you are determined to embarrass me here...

The only sail I have that is capable of being hanked on at the moment is the staysail. And I don't think Jamie of SVTotem would be all that happy with me if I started drilling holes in the new beautiful yankee he made for me to fit hanks.

But I will get in touch with the original owner and check my theory with him. He did 42,000 miles with this rig, so I think he assembled it with a purpose in mind.

He was also the guy that told me to look at the Parry Endeavour, he knew I'd like the rigging on that boat.

Matt
Old 31-01-2016, 04:21   #84
cruiser

Were I to get another boat, she would have hanked on headsails for the following reasons:

1). Simpler is better.

2) Simpler is cheaper.

3) Sail shape and trim are very important to me.

4) I very much like the act of sailing the boat. Even when cold and wet on a heaving foredeck, my attitude was always, "This is a lot better than being at the office."

All that said, I will be the first to admit that when I was changing headsails I was much younger, stronger, and a member of a racing crew. Too, furling gear is reputed to be more reliable now than ln my day. Boats are very personal things, not unlike women. You pay your money and take your choice. Not unlike women.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 07:58   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Were I to get another boat, she would have hanked on headsails for the following reasons:

1). Simpler is better.

2) Simpler is cheaper.

3) Sail shape and trim are very important to me.

4) I very much like the act of sailing the boat. Even when cold and wet on a heaving foredeck, my attitude was always, "This is a lot better than being at the office."

All that said, I will be the first to admit that when I was changing headsails I was much younger, stronger, and a member of a racing crew. Too, furling gear is reputed to be more reliable now than ln my day. Boats are very personal things, not unlike women. You pay your money and take your choice. Not unlike women.

Paul
I don't know why, I always found it was the heaving foredeck that grew (or diminished) confidence in a boat, for me. I loved it. So am a fan of hank-on sails by default, due to demands for more time on the foredeck.

But I have to acknowledge the passing of years, and at present anyway, the necessity of me doing as much as possible from the cockpit (setting things up for disabled sailing).

So a furler it is, and I don't expect to be too unhappy about it when it comes to it (just being back on a boat is far more important).

My biggest worry really, is how I am likely to get on with wheel steering (I am not really that enthused about such a lump of a thing in the cockpit, and I do like the directness and simplicity of a tiller). I suppose I'll come around to it though.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:15   #86

Boat: Jeanneau 45.2

I rigged my old Hartley Golden Cowrie with twin forestays , always had the large jenny on one and a jib in a bag on the hand rail on the other . Worked well .
Now on my Jeanneau 45.2 i have roller furling and love it , not having to send anyone forward to reduce or lower sails is a good thing IMHO.
Hartleycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 21:44   #87

One thing not mentioned yet about hank-ons is that you can have a sail that is cut much lower to the deck and improve the boat's ability to point.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 31-01-2016, 23:16   #88
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
But I have to acknowledge the passing of years...
As do I, my friend, as do we all.

Paul
Old 31-01-2016, 23:41   #89

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
One thing not mentioned yet about hank-ons is that you can have a sail that is cut much lower to the deck and improve the boat's ability to point.
Deck sweepers have some minor performance perks, but we are talking cruising here, aren't we? These sails also have some serious drawbacks, such as hugely impairing forward visibility and chafing on the lifelines and stanchions . Dunno about your boat, but we don't have a bowman checking traffic or skirting the genoa whilst cruising...

jim
Old 01-02-2016, 01:48   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
...we don't have a bowman checking traffic or skirting the genoa...

jim
I am just now finishing lettering a sign on scrap corrugated cardboard: "Will skirt genoa for food and beer."

Paul

Tags
furling, head, head sails, sails