Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 14:59   #1

Handy Stuff for Bareboat Charters

I would like to shamelessly copy Don L.'s thread, but for those who charter rather than for liveaboard sailors.

After chartering a few times, I have a small bag that I bring in my duffel bag that has proved very handy already. I bring ~10-15 feet of light nylon string, cable ties of various sizes, electrical tape, a small amount of duct tape wrapped around a short pencil, and a flashlight. I am trying to remember what else, and thought others might have good suggestions.

I know the boats are supposed to be well maintained, and one should be able to call the charter company to have them fix any issues, but these items have come in quite handy for me. Example- on a brand new cat, we were sailing along and all of a sudden the halyard shackle on the main came off. Luckily the pin fell on the cabin roof and I snagged it, and the shackle was still on the halyard. But after getting in calm waters I had to snag the halyard with a boat hook and reattach it to the sail. Then I got out my cable ties to "mouse" the pin to the shackle, if I am using the term correctly. Then I checked all the other shackles and found them tight but not secured, and used up my other cable ties to secure them.

The string was used to stop a banging door once, and to tie the gangplank where it was stored onboard another time.

Anyone have a similar bag of useful items? Please share...
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 15:34   #2

Boat: Charter
Re: Handy Stuff for Bareboat Charters

Small waterproof flashlight. Pliers and a multi-screwdriver, post-it notepad, sharpie
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 12:52   #3

Thanks sec906. Good additions.
Old 14-03-2019, 13:30   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ok, I’ll jump in here too bullshooter! I used to have a bag of stuff for when I chartered, ill probably think of it all someday, but something that came in handy was a couple of large snatch blocks... they just seemed to come in handy for unforeseen issues ... I know kind of odd
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 15:40   #5

Thanks Don, I hope you don't mind me copying your thread idea!
Old 16-03-2019, 19:42   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

No problem, it's a good idea for sure. I am surprised that not more have chimed in. I used to have my kit for myself which was essentially the same as I might take if I were crew on a delivery: weather gear">foul weather gear, PFD, harness, rigging knife, swiss army knife, PLB, etc. as a start. (There are threads on that.) And then for the charter as I recall I brought things that the boat must have but may not have a complete set of or may not be functioning perfectly. Back in the day I brought my giant EPIRB, a good first aid kit, full safety kit (flares, signaling flags, signaling mirror, etc.,) I even brought my own fire extinguishers and extra life jackets, all just in case. Of course I brought all my own navigational equipment. Let's see, what else? These days I'd also bring a floating hand-held VHF. Now, granted if you are sure the boat is well-equipped and well-maintained this may seem like overkill. I also brought my own tool box and odd items (hence the snatch blocks) that could be used to jury-rig things if I needed, and something for emergency boat repairs, like something to fill or patch holes. It has been a long time since I chartered so I am probably leaving something out.
Anyway Bullshooter, hope this helps, I am in no way an expert on chartering.
oh yeah, extra shackles too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, charter