Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 14:52   #301

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Many foreigners have that same problem when they come to the United States. If you think long and hard about it, I'm sure you will eventually understand.
I can't imagine that one?
Old 19-01-2016, 14:53   #302

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It WAS an American owned vessel , or does that little snippet of information not count for anything?
No not really, this company supplies armed guards that transit the pirate waters and then return to their base ship ( like the one that was stopped off India) doing some research there are many companies based in different countries that provide this service.
Here is just one snippet from an article of ship piracy.
Armed guards
These have become standard for many ships sailing through Somali waters in 2013. A large ship now typically sails with four guards. The industry has been dominated by British firms and guards who have had careers in the military, particularly highly experienced former Royal Marines who have been keen to cash in on their skills.
Old 19-01-2016, 14:54   #303

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Posted by boatman61
At the start of the war, Britain had spent the money that they did have in normal payments for materiel under the "US cash-and-carry" scheme. Basing rights were also traded for equipment, e.g., the Destroyers for Bases Agreement, but by 1941 Britain was no longer able to finance cash payments and Lend-Lease was introduced.

Large quantities of goods were in Britain or in transit when Washington suddenly and unexpectedly terminated Lend-Lease on 29 August 1945. The British economy had been heavily geared towards war production (around 55% GDP)[4] and had drastically reduced its exports. The UK therefore relied on Lend-Lease imports to obtain essential consumer commodities such as food while it could no longer afford to pay for these items using export profits. The end of lend-lease thus came as a great economic shock. Britain needed to retain some of this equipment in the immediate post war period. As a result, the Anglo-American loan came about.

While correct about the sudden and unpleasant surprise to the UK when Lend-Lease abruptly ended, the US did give a favorable loan to the UK to purchase some of the Lend-Lease stuff in transit. The UK did feel it would get the stuff for free, and was shocked, but the loan terms (negotiated by the famous J.M. Keynes) were favorable--2%. Of course, the USA had no idea of how bad England's financial position was, but with hostilities ending on 15 August, ending Lend-Lease seemed logical to America. The UK said it needed many of the commodities (as I recall, England had more draconian food rationing in 1948 than at any time during the war), so the USA said fine but you have to buy them. Hence the loan, given England's precarious financial position.

There was an equal shock to American industry at the same time--war contracts have a clause that says they end the day the war does, and they did in both world wars. All contracts immediately cancelled. There are provisions for time and supplies invested to the moment of cancellation, but industry got a jolt too.

Nonetheless, I do not think the leasing of land for the destroyers constitutes an "extortionate price." The Lend-Lease equipment purchased in 1945 by the UK (admittedly unhappily so) was for a good price and did not include the 50 destroyers.
Old 19-01-2016, 14:55   #304
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Many foreigners have that same problem when they come to the United States. If you think long and hard about it, I'm sure you will eventually understand.
If you are referring to cruisers we have no problem... like Australia.. you like plenty of notice and if the rules are broken the consequences can be dire..
So some visit yet many do not.. not worth the hassle.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-01-2016, 14:59   #305

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Sorry if I gave that impression. I was referring to a post where you said to another member of this forum: "You are one of the most vicious people posting here." I quoted you on that.

I never said that it was you that called son to somebody else or called scum of the earth to those that don't share (with that member) their political ideas, somebody did and I preferred not to name them not to increase the not needed conflictuality. If it was you that had said that I would include that on your quote, don't you think so?

Just saying that the one that you call vicious was far from being the less polite or the more aggressive on its statements. All have right to have an opinion if it is expressed in a correct way even if one that implies that I am right and all other that don't share my opinion wrong, is kind of an arrogant one
No worries...we do all have a right to express an opinion, and in my opinion the person I was referring to was one of the most vicious. I harbor no ill feelings toward anyone arguing a point, but to read an unending series of negative, even vicious comments on the country of my origin is unacceptable. Not to mention pointless and extremely rude.

It would be wasted effort to address every single negative comment, so the one that stood out the most [to me] was the one I chose to refer to.

I occasionally get caught up in the moment and cannot resist putting my thoughts out there.

And I do not hesitate to make positive responses to folks that express themselves without being nasty.
Old 19-01-2016, 15:00   #306
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

formosa scott, have you always been in the habit of twisting the words of others to better accommodate your trolling and bullying narcissistic tendencies?? or is this a recent development in your personality?
when someone speaks of potential problems folks encounter when travelling with contraband and you interrupt with inanities, others are made aware of your problem. you are noncontributory in this discussion save the bullying and trolling. have a great day.
as for potential problems with bringing arms into other countries, just ask the marine who drove into tijuana, mexico with his weapon. how long did it take him to get home.
Old 19-01-2016, 15:08   #307

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Sorry but from my experience... many cruisers I know will not tell anyone that they have a gun onboard.... why would they? It also depends upon where they are going as well... If you and sailing in New England, Canada or off the Coast of England or France there is no reason to carry one even if it was permitted..... But if you are hugging the coast of Venezuela or Colombia..... you may think about it.
Old 19-01-2016, 15:10   #308
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Nonetheless, I do not think the leasing of land for the destroyers constitutes an "extortionate price." The Lend-Lease equipment purchased in 1945 by the UK (admittedly unhappily so) was for a good price and did not include the 50 destroyers.

I was always under the impression it was all tied in the package.. X conditional on Z providing Y...... blah blah..!!
Germans in Europe and Japan on the Indian border we were on our knees by '41.. gets expensive fighting 3 enemies alone..
Mind... doubt things would be much different.. we'd have cut a deal and been in yet out of The 3rd Reich.. if Tojo had not dropped one..
Kinda like the EU..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-01-2016, 15:11   #309

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Hutch,
It is said among historians that History is written by the victors not the vanquished. And, if one read post WWII History taught in Soviet Schools after the war it would be markedly different than that taught in Western European and American schools. However, facts are facts. Only the interpretations can be disputed.
Sometimes it is time to understand that, sometimes a lot of time. I would recommend to all a book : The crusades viewed by Arab eyes.

http://www.amazon.com/Crusades-Throu.../dp/0805208984

No, it is not wrote by a Muslim fundamentalist but by a great writer, Amin Maalouf, a Libian that lives in France and that has wrote some of the most wonderful historic romances I ever read. This one is not a romance but more of a historian book, very well documented.

Don't believe in me, Amazon has 149 reviews with an average of 4 and a half stars out of 5. On such a controversial them is revealing of the quality of the work.

The book can be a shock for some and a bit the opposite of what happens today: then the ones with barbaric costumes and attitudes were not the the Arabs but the westerners.
Old 19-01-2016, 15:16   #310

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm still wondering if rwidman meant that all people may be insensitive to traveling issues. Maybe. Or that many people don't do their homework about what one should not bring into a country, and that rises up to smite them. Or, maybe, that since others don't do their homework, it is okay for us Yanks to not do ours?
Old 19-01-2016, 15:20   #311
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is a custom in many countries of inspection of a boat as it is cleared into or out of a country. in some places that is randomly done, in some, it is each and all.
seems while i was in mazatlan, in 2011, it was search time for boats exiting port .
it was fun to watch.
so you donot declare your guns.
the search turns em up.
then what you gonna do, as NOW you not only have the weaponry but also failure to declare said contraband.
niiice trip to a no fun zone.
would it not be easier to leave the damn things in a pawn shop in your port of departure than to go thru the sequellae you caused for your self??
because of hardheadedness, you would rather risk jail time for failure to declare and for bringing weapons into the country than leave em home.
amazing.
Old 19-01-2016, 15:23   #312

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
formosa scott, have you always been in the habit of twisting the words of others to better accommodate your trolling and bullying narcissistic tendencies?? or is this a recent development in your personality?
when someone speaks of potential problems folks encounter when travelling with contraband and you interrupt with inanities, others are made aware of your problem. you are noncontributory in this discussion save the bullying and trolling. have a great day.
as for potential problems with bringing arms into other countries, just ask the marine who drove into tijuana, mexico with his weapon. how long did it take him to get home.
Please tell me what did your reference to the abortion issue contribute?
I've never met such an angry, hateful person
as you seem to be. It really is sad, I pity you.
Old 19-01-2016, 15:36   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemind View Post
Please tell me what did your reference to the abortion issue contribute?
I've never met such an angry, hateful person
as you seem to be. It really is sad, I pity you.
WADR, you're wrong.

It was part of a long dissertation that made quite a bit of sense. I thought it was quite thought provoking. Perhaps not to all, but that was her opinion, which she should be allowed to express. As is yours, without the personal attack.

For those of you knocking zee's typing "style," please understand that not all of us are gifted with the ability to type and use all of our fingers. One of our main contributors on our C34 website is a hunt & peck typist who has shared more technical information over the years than most other websites offer in decades.

I find her contributions on this and other websites to be thoughtful, insightful and she is living the life "out there" with real world esxperiences which she is willing to share.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 19-01-2016, 15:38   #314

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I've seen very few insults on the United States of America. Don't be so sensative. It was an American owned vessel so the American cultural psychic on guns is a very logical and fair discussion.

Be like us Aussies, we know when our gov or behavior of citizens is ***** and we take no offense when others point that out.
You must have missed the first part of this thread...I will be the first to admit that some Yanks throwing their money around and acting as a privileged class is embarrassing to us all; and some of the things that our Gov does is appalling, but making inflammatory comments about other peoples country is not proper.

I spent a month in Australia drinking VB with locals wherever I was traveling, and made friends with some of the most affable "blokes" I have ever had the pleasure to meet, and we talked about our respective governments, but I would never have even considered bashing the Aussie government. The first thing anyone would ask me after the first shout was " is it really as violent in America as it is on tv?" That is a long way from making some smart ass reference to Americans and their guns...
Old 19-01-2016, 15:39   #315

Boat: Newport30 MKIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
One CF member was locked up in Mexico for trying to declare a weapon that's legal in USA but illegal in Mexico.

Very difficult to know precise laws of every country you visit.
I was a scuba diver and took folks to MX to dive the Sea of Cortez often (via land), it was well known not to bring a gun but not even single bullet or shell casing in your vehicle or you were going to jail.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns