Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 13:32   #286

Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipe6 View Post
As I have stated before, it's not the people of the us it's their leaders. (heard something like that before?)
Well, right now our leader is President Obama.....
Do you not like people of African descent? Are you a racist?
Old 19-01-2016, 13:36   #287
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
I am sure we are looking forward to the day when we can turn the guns into high grade anchor chains.... but it may take another 10,000 years of evolution. Of course some nasty aliens from Planet X may then show up...
Naah... much sooner than that..
Pretty sure an eco-friendly recyclable plastic Ray Gun's will be on the market soon with safety features like Stun.. or Incinerate..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:38   #288

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
Well said Zeehag !
I am often amused and saddened that citizens of a totalitarian country like the USA should point the finger at other countries for the length of their prison sentences. This from a regime which has 2.2 million people incarcerated in hell holes that would hardly be out of place in the nastiest slum jail in any third world country.
5 yrs ? most jailbirds in the land of the free would think that a free pass.
Where several life sentences are handed down like so much confetti.
You who live in glass houses should think twice before casting your assertions
Pure BS. If I couldn't make it, I would become a felon in the US. I might go to Cook County?
Old 19-01-2016, 13:41   #289

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

OK... the topic was about what again? Seems like a lot of people get some pretty strong ideas about some things on those 3am watches.

As far as guns in America? It's a cultural thing.... We were mostly European at one time too..but we learned.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:54   #290

No guns aboard if you are going around the world? Sounds like the riskiest part of the trip. I wish Europeans would remember why there were castles and moats... and why the most illustrious families in Europe had Suits of Armor on display in their great rooms.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:56   #291

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Originally Posted by boatman61
LMFAO... First I've heard we in the UK were liberated Dood...!!
Though we were near bankrupted paying for the piece of ***** mothballed ships you sold us at extortionate prices..

Extortionate prices? I thought those 50 destroyers were acquired by leasing bases. The USA transferred to the United Kingdom the destroyers in return for leases for military facilities in spots like Goose Bay, Bahamas, and places in the Caribbean Islands.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:59   #292

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you pull back and look at it, I think this thread has been rather interesting. At the very beginning, Polux posted what amounted to a caution to cruisers who might carry weapons, citing Indian law, and with a non-cruising example. He included an express admonition to not turn it into a gun thread.

Now, maybe people just wanted to have a gun argument this morning, but it seemed to me as i read along this lengthy thread that the discussion that developed shows clearly that some Americans feel so threatened by the fact that so many countries do not think it necessary to have the same laws as the U.S. that they refuse to take on board that a warning was being given. Wow! And then, of course the thread was diverted, and only gradually, through data, brought to reason. Compared to some of the Europeans, we, in our writings [and perhaps out of patriotism] seem brash, and to use data from not terribly reliable sources, and without citation of sources.

I really wish I understood why it is hard for some Americans to accept the very simple notion: when you take your boat to another country, it's their country, their rules. Period. No matter the policy in their State, or all our USA, it's still the other guys' country, their rules. If you fail to abide by them you risk your boat, and international blackballing; and you risk the possibility of being jailed, or forced to leave. And some countries, you go to jail, and from there you must prove you did not do the crime--there is no presumption of innocence. This isn't new, it has been so for all the years Jim and I have been cruising, and going back a long, long way.

Anyhow, Polux, thanks for starting the thread. I am pretty sure authorities in other countries can tell the difference between cruisers and mercenaries, but many do take their gun and other weapon control laws very seriously, and cruisers should be aware that flouting those laws may have distasteful to disastrous consequences.

Ann
Old 19-01-2016, 14:09   #293
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
Originally Posted by boatman61
LMFAO... First I've heard we in the UK were liberated Dood...!!
Though we were near bankrupted paying for the piece of ***** mothballed ships you sold us at extortionate prices..

Extortionate prices? I thought those 50 destroyers were acquired by leasing bases. The USA transferred to the United Kingdom the destroyers in return for leases for military facilities in spots like Goose Bay, Bahamas, and places in the Caribbean Islands.
At the start of the war, Britain had spent the money that they did have in normal payments for materiel under the "US cash-and-carry" scheme. Basing rights were also traded for equipment, e.g., the Destroyers for Bases Agreement, but by 1941 Britain was no longer able to finance cash payments and Lend-Lease was introduced.

Large quantities of goods were in Britain or in transit when Washington suddenly and unexpectedly terminated Lend-Lease on 29 August 1945. The British economy had been heavily geared towards war production (around 55% GDP)[4] and had drastically reduced its exports. The UK therefore relied on Lend-Lease imports to obtain essential consumer commodities such as food while it could no longer afford to pay for these items using export profits. The end of lend-lease thus came as a great economic shock. Britain needed to retain some of this equipment in the immediate post war period. As a result, the Anglo-American loan came about.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 19-01-2016, 14:21   #294

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
actually i am telling you to put your shoes on. i think they will fit. you know, the ones you like to wear when you troll and bully. you have offered no positive info to this thread. so why did you respond, merely to troll??

i donot give a flying rats or trolls ass who carries what where. i WILL stand by and offer NO sympathy WHEN you screw up.
you shoot someone with your guns, you WILL have a large problem.

your ignorance is my bliss.
The definition of a bully you gave fits you to a T, that's positive information if you use it to change.
Old 19-01-2016, 14:40   #295

Boat: Camano Troll

This started as a post about guns on boats resulting in jail time. Somehow, it ended up as a thread insulting the United States of America. That is pretty cowardly, posting behind safety of a keyboard several thousand miles away. It's also pretty ignorant so if you come off as ignorant on one thread, how do you expect to be taken as anything else on another thread?

Think about it.
Old 19-01-2016, 14:41   #296

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
Sailors are free spirits.... most have weapons aboard in some fashion even if they are from Europe. There has to be an agreement that cruisers can and do sail to places that are potentially dangerous. Logically they have to have some form of protection. Until someone invents some kind of Stun Ray Gun...
Not sure what you mean by "weapons aboard in some fashion even if they are from Europe". If you mean firearms, I believe that you are quite mistaken. We've been cruising a long time and have met thousands of other cruising boats. Almost NONE have had firearms on board... even the Yanks who are cruising far from home seldom have firearms on board.

Many of us do carry things that potentially could be used as defensive weapons. We've got a machete (I use it to open coconuts), several hammers and a big adjustable wrench that I could brain someone with, and yes, even a spear gun (with sadly rotted rubber bands). But no firearms. We decided long ago that firearms were far more trouble than they were worth; once we were actually cruising in foreign waters, we found that they were simply not needed. This observation reinforced our earlier decision, and nothing we have encountered has caused us to regret it.

Crime against cruising sailors aboard their boats is extremely rare. Crime of a nature where deadly force would be an excusable reaction rarer yet. I've got much better things to worry about... weather, equipment failures, growth on the bottom, loosing at Scrabble against Ann... having to defend ourselves with firearms is way down the list!

Jim

PS Just to be clear, I am a card-carrying American, and in fact, both my parents were Texans and I spent much of my childhood in that peculiar state. Somehow I escaped the mania...
Old 19-01-2016, 14:43   #297

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
...............I really wish I understood why it is hard for some Americans to accept the very simple notion: when you take your boat to another country, it's their country, their rules. Period. ...............
Many foreigners have that same problem when they come to the United States. If you think long and hard about it, I'm sure you will eventually understand.
Old 19-01-2016, 14:45   #298

I think some people should unwind by taking a cruise... with or without arms... their choice.....

The main thing is to unwind...
Old 19-01-2016, 14:49   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not sure what you mean by "weapons aboard in some fashion even if they are from Europe". If you mean firearms, I believe that you are quite mistaken. We've been cruising a long time and have met thousands of other cruising boats. Almost NONE have had firearms on board... even the Yanks who are cruising far from home seldom have firearms on board.

Many of us do carry things that potentially could be used as defensive weapons. We've got a machete (I use it to open coconuts), several hammers and a big adjustable wrench that I could brain someone with, and yes, even a spear gun (with sadly rotted rubber bands). But no firearms. We decided long ago that firearms were far more trouble than they were worth; once we were actually cruising in foreign waters, we found that they were simply not needed. This observation reinforced our earlier decision, and nothing we have encountered has caused us to regret it.

Crime against cruising sailors aboard their boats is extremely rare. Crime of a nature where deadly force would be an excusable reaction rarer yet. I've got much better things to worry about... weather, equipment failures, growth on the bottom, loosing at Scrabble against Ann... having to defend ourselves with firearms is way down the list!

Jim

PS Just to be clear, I am a card-carrying American, and in fact, both my parents were Texans and I spent much of my childhood in that peculiar state. Somehow I escaped the mania...
Stay safe Jim...
Old 19-01-2016, 14:50   #300

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
This started as a post about guns on boats resulting in jail time. Somehow, it ended up as a thread insulting the United States of America. That is pretty cowardly, posting behind safety of a keyboard several thousand miles away. It's also pretty ignorant so if you come off as ignorant on one thread, how do you expect to be taken as anything else on another thread?

Think about it.
I've seen very few insults on the United States of America. Don't be so sensative. It was an American owned vessel so the American cultural psychic on guns is a very logical and fair discussion.

Be like us Aussies, we know when our gov or behavior of citizens is ***** and we take no offense when others point that out.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns