Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 03:52   #1

Boat: Comet 41s
Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

I normally don't care less with what other people do but I noticed that many talk about the need to have guns aboard for protection in what regards sailing on dangerous regions.

Better be aware of what it can happen if you are caught with them: 5 years jail time on a democratic country like India has impressed me.

"... a trial court in Tuticorin in south Tamil Nadu on Monday convicted 23 foreign nationals, all of whom were onboard a detained U.S. anti-piracy vessel ‘MV Seaman Guard Ohio’, under provisions of the Arms Act. The foreigners and 12 Indians, cited as co-accused, have been sentenced to undergo a five-year rigorous imprisonment term for illegally entering Indian waters with a huge cache of arms and ammunition..""
"
However, it seems that the judge(es) making current decision have accused every single person on the ship for carrying a gun..."

Five-year RI for 35 crew members of US ship Seaman Guard Ohio - The Hindu

Americans due to the way guns are allowed on their country don't have an idea of how private ownership of war guns is viewed by law on other countries and the penalties they would be subjected if they are caught with them.

War guns are not necessarily automatic rifles. On several European countries a caliber 38 or over is considered a war gun and even if licensed a private citizen can only use for self defense small calibers. Those licenses are hard to get and have to be justified.

Not a Gun thread, not interested in that at all. Only a warning about what can happen if one is caught out of US with guns aboard.
Old 19-01-2016, 03:57   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

One CF member was locked up in Mexico for trying to declare a weapon that's legal in USA but illegal in Mexico.

Very difficult to know precise laws of every country you visit.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 19-01-2016, 04:04   #3

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Yet another reason to steer clear of those places.
Old 19-01-2016, 04:15   #4

A massive amount of weapons and ammunition on a ship, in unknown circumstances or intent (probably intercepted due to an informant on the boat fully aware of the circumstances and intent for that cargo), is a completely different proposition to personal guns on a boat.

I would certainly NOT take a gun off a boat, in order to declare it!

Secured in a lockable cabinet capable of being sealed by Customs, would be an entirely different matter.

I have come across this distinction in the UK, where the situation is now so silly, that even an important safety device like a flare gun, is considered to be a firearm.

BUT, as long as the flare gun does not come off the boat (it then becomes a banned 'weapon'), then it is quite legal as long as it remains on that boat.

Obviously appraise the Customs at an intended destination Port of the situation, along with any secure storage that you have available for them to seal if they so wish.

As an aside, the ridiculous and irrational hysteria about guns isn't likely to carry on for very much longer.
Old 19-01-2016, 04:37   #5
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I notice very few counties seem to have a prohibition against armed Amerrcans when they need them to save their asses, though.
Old 19-01-2016, 04:44   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ha ha ha the only place to steer clear of is the overly ignorant and violent usa.
sadly this is reality.
arrogance is one thing, imposing ones arrogance on others is unforgiveable.
acting as if one is the policeman for world is arrogance.
PRESUMING the rest of the world is as violent as is usa is arrogance.
PRESUMING that, just because you are a citizen of usa you have right to carry arms into other nations is extreme arrogance. the rights of individuals in usa are merely for usa.
you are NOT covered outside usa borders.
leave your guns at home when you cruise.
avoid problem areas wherein folks are suffering hardship.
donot flaunt your wealth, which, even if you are ssi recipient, is much more than in hands of citizens of the places you travel.
remember a boat is a sign of wealth.
i love reading the ignorant rantings of those who feel the NEED to bear arms in other locales than merely in their on nasty neighborhoods.
makes me laugh my ass off.
ye take weapons into other nations without researching the laws of those locations and then scream bludi murder when you are detained for such behavior.
your actions reflect the nation from which your snakelike bodies slither from the borders. it is unfortunate the usa has individuals such as you to reinforce the ugliness that is the american abroad. shameful.
y'all MUST read "the ugly american". it was a book written about the likes of you all.
perhaps you might drop the narcissistic approach and begin a less obnoxious attitude--perhaps a little more educated and willing to absorb new kinowledge....
try learning what is happening in the world around ye, learn where the hotspots of the world are and avoid em.
the respons to your rantings about your illegal weaponry are hilarious, as you are only ones demanding to bear arms at sea. what ye expecting, a bludi world revolution?? why do you feel NEED to carry armament into these peaceful waters we cruise?? why do you feel your wimpy weaponry will protect you in a war zone??
get real. why do you insist on making all areas in which you feel urge to bring these weapons a war zone--which is what you are doing by bringing weapons of war into the places we cruise.
are you planning to overthrow a govt?? are you planning on killing someone in their own nation>?? what will you do AFTER you shoot someone with your war weapons?? do you think you will be set loose on the countryside and applauded? i think not-- you WILL suffer time in a prison in a third world dick-tatershit waiting forever for trial, which may never come to be. you are in violation of their laws and on their land. yeah usa may come to your rescue, or not.
outside of usa you may find napoleonic law as a base -- you are guilty until proven innocent-- and you will not be proven innocent if you shoot a weapon and injure or kill someone outside usa.
facts is facts. laws are laws. obey them. live in peace.
do you have lots of money??
do you have lots of clout in usa??
if not--leave the stupidity and your clown car in your local pawn shop on your way out of usa.

instead of taking offense at being disallowed weaponry in other nations, try thinking about the consequences of shooting that forbidden weapon in the country in which it is forbidden.
enjoy your alleged rights, but only within your own nation.
you have none outside usa.
usa is only nation allows weaponry for its defense to be in hands of the citizens. think about it a while.
and then there is maritime law, with its ownsets of rules and regulations regarding weaponry.. read em all and understand your tenuous at best standing in and outside of the legal network of the planet.

another hypocrisy i found was the attitude some have about alleged right to life--- seems only fetuses are allowed that by the spewers of this chant... they will murder physicians and kill staffing in clinics and yell about rights to bear arms--and kill whom they choose to kill in the name of right to life.
imagine how this all looks to the citizens of the nations in which we cruise--

keep your testosterone in your pants and guns in the pawn shop when you cruise.
you are supposedly cruising in peace, are you not?
if that is so, why bring war weapons with ye??? is NOT for protection.

as for usa saving anyones asses--- as the situation has been set up by govt of usa, banning armed usa citizens only makes sense. think about it a while. mebbe your narcissistic selves might be able to eek out a thought that is not centered around self.
how soon the cycles of history are forgotten. perhaps due to the fail of education systemless in usa...rodl..
another problem in usa is that the citizens have been dummied down--many of ht e important things to learn have been omitted and banned from education. the kids are being taught the usa is the only intelligence between earth and mars, when in reality, usa has one of the worst education systems and records in planet. the kids are not being taught anything useful anymore. nanny state and political correctness is not education. it is arrogance personified. the ugly american has gotten only uglier than when i first encountered the phenomenon in europe in 1971.

ye do not see other nations producing gun nutz, do ye??/ hell no.
get over your obsession with weaponry. speak peace--do peace. walk your talk
Old 19-01-2016, 04:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I notice very few counties seem to have a prohibition against armed Amerrcans when they need them to save their asses, though.
Not going there.. to much Glass in the House..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-01-2016, 04:55   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

"Democratic country like India"?

Surely you're joking?

India is an enchanting place, with a fabulous culture, but has a very rough, third world legal regime. Rape is quasi-legal in India, but some things are harshly punished. Death penalty for narcotics trafficking, for example, or inciting a mutiny.

It's the kind of place, one of many third world countries, which is extremely much intimidated by the idea of anyone having guns except the State. Don't even think about getting close to Indian waters with guns, drugs, or whatever. You definitely do not want to spend time in an Indian prison.

Another reason to be careful sailing near India:

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/In...chts-and-boats
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 19-01-2016, 04:59   #9

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

So, Zee, yer anti-guns I guess? ��
Old 19-01-2016, 05:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
A massive amount of weapons and ammunition on a ship, in unknown circumstances or intent (probably intercepted due to an informant on the boat fully aware of the circumstances and intent for that cargo), is a completely different proposition to personal guns on a boat.

I would certainly NOT take a gun off a boat, in order to declare it!

Secured in a lockable cabinet capable of being sealed by Customs, would be an entirely different matter.

I have come across this distinction in the UK, where the situation is now so silly, that even an important safety device like a flare gun, is considered to be a firearm.

BUT, as long as the flare gun does not come off the boat (it then becomes a banned 'weapon'), then it is quite legal as long as it remains on that boat.

Obviously appraise the Customs at an intended destination Port of the situation, along with any secure storage that you have available for them to seal if they so wish.

As an aside, the ridiculous and irrational hysteria about guns isn't likely to carry on for very much longer.
Not talking about flare guns. They new the intent those guns were supposed to be used.

A search can be conducted on a boat regarding suspicion of drug smuggling (or other kind of smuggling). Lots of sailboats used for that, specially the ones that cross oceans. You may not be smuggling drugs but in some countries carrying a gun, if not declared, is equal to smuggling a gun and can have nasty consequences if the gun is found.

With terrorism and all that I don't think gun control and search is going to be lessen, quite the contrary.
Old 19-01-2016, 05:02   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ps there aint any such thing as democracy, never was never will be. closest ye can find is constitutional republic. and we all know how that is gonna end.

crabby, baby, i am not anti guns, i am anti gun nutzzz. i am anti arrogance in cruising and tourism,. and i am anti ugly american,. i am anti whatever causes others to be seen in a bad light due to actions of others
i am completely against having to watch any countrymen be pressed into prison due to their idiocy and arrogance and the killing of locals for no earthly reason. we are not here to be judge and jury , we are here to live a peaceful and happy cruising life. that is not feasable with weaponry on board.

my second ex husband from hell was a nra member and advocate of world guns. he decided to make , in my boat i was building in 1990, a gun chamber safe for keeping his colt 45 s and other items of mass destruction.
no i am not anti guns, i am for them in their places, but at sea or in my boat are not those places, thankyou.
i suggest that folks take a really good look at what happens to you, the gunslinger, when ye shoot and maim or kill someone outside of usa waters........ isnt pretty. the gunslinger will lose, either way. may as well just let em take yer ****, and spare your life and freedoms.
Old 19-01-2016, 05:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
...and we all know...
Seems to be a lot of that going around on CF. So much contradictory certainty in one small place...

That's why I like it here. Dilbert cartoons in which I can participate.
Old 19-01-2016, 05:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
"Democratic country like India"?

Surely you're joking?

India is an enchanting place, with a fabulous culture, but has a very rough, third world legal regime. Rape is quasi-legal in India, but some things are harshly punished. Death penalty for narcotics trafficking, for example, or inciting a mutiny.

It's the kind of place, one of many third world countries, which is extremely much intimidated by the idea of anyone having guns except the State. Don't even think about getting close to Indian waters with guns, drugs, or whatever. You definitely do not want to spend time in an Indian prison.

Another reason to be careful sailing near India:

India to crack down on the movement of private yachts and boats —
I don't understand what you mean. What you say has nothing to do with being a democracy or not but with the laws of the country (democratic laws). A democracy means that the government is elected by free choice of the citizens.

India is a Democracy:

"India is one of the world's oldest civilizations...The world's largest democracy by electorate ...Elections to its Parliament are held once every 5 years. Currently, Prime minister Narendra Modi is the head of the government, enjoying a majority in the Parliament, while President Pranab Mukherjee, is the head of state. India is a constitutional republic governed under the world's longest written constitution, federally consisting of 29 states and seven centrally administered union territories, with New Delhi as the nation's capital.

The country has seven main national parties: the Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP), Indian National Congress (INC), Communist Party of India (CPI), Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI(M)), Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), National Congress Party (NCP) and Aam Admi Party (AAP). At the level of its states, many regional parties stand for elections to state legislatures, every five years. The Rajya Sabha elections are held every 6 years.
"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_in_India
Old 19-01-2016, 05:15   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

To keep this as a warning on prohibited substances and equipment and not just a gun thing, I've flown several times to Indonesia, and the signs in the airport had me worrying about the vitamins I had in my luggage, seems that part of the world will execute you for possession of some things that people in other parts of the world don't think that much of.

Point being, know the laws where you are going, apparently showing up in your best Duck Dynasty camouflage can also get you into serious trouble in certain places, and that's just clothing.
Old 19-01-2016, 05:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
another hypocrisy i found was the attitude some have about alleged right to life--- ..
This does not only regards Americans even if for what I can tell Americans are the ones more prone to have guns on a boat.

Regarding the right to live and taking justice in their own hands not along ago, on the coast of India, two Italians shoot dead two Indian fishermen that they took wrongly for pirates.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns