Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 02:05   #376
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by latka View Post
This is just getting way too crazy guys! And I fear that many individuals with the same opinion are on the loose throughout the world. A scary thought indeed!
What is so crazy about being able to defend yourself from criminals?

Here's what happened in Australia when they turned in their guns. These aren't Americans in the video, these are Australians, including law enforcement. Crime skyrocketed after the guns were confiscated.

__________________

__________________
socaldmax is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 02:11   #377
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
What is so crazy about being able to defend yourself from criminals?

Here's what happened in Australia when they turned in their guns. These aren't Americans in the video, these are Australians, including law enforcement. Crime skyrocketed after the guns were confiscated.

OMG did you really just repeat that american gun lobby, donald trump clap trap

Crime did NOT sky rocket at all, thats a rediculous lie. And we havnt had a mass shooting since.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 02:12   #378
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Whangarei,NZ
Boat: Cape Dory 36, Benford 35
Posts: 39
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
So then what do people do when a Stalin or Hitler or Mussolini comes to power?

Politely ask them to go away? Pray for another country to come along and save their unarmed asses? Just go along with the genocide and hope they don't get killed off as well?

Don't tell me it can't happen, it already did, and may happen again because the citizens couldn't stop it.

What a lovely way to live, like an ostrich or a chicken.
Please inform yourself before you post nonsense!
Both dictators rose to the top through political process while the world was watching, the US included.
__________________
latka is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 02:13   #379
Registered User
 
Dave-Zim's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Zimbabwe
Boat: Calypso Cat 21'
Posts: 44
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Guys,

There is another option to carrying firearms onboard.

I own one of these, FlashLauncher | Pepperball

I have owned it for a few years.
It can fire solid plastic balls, capsicum filled balls, it has a laser sight, a built in torch.
You just leave it on a shelf in the saloon. Everyone thinks it's a torch.
It's sub lethal. It's as good as a firearm. It is gas powered so absolutely will not count as a firearm.
Dogs won't smell it.
I intend to keep a number of these in strategic positions on board.
It is purely a self defence weapon.

No, I don't have any affiliation with the manufacturer, I'm just really impressed with their product.

It's a safe and legal alternative.
__________________
Dave-Zim is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 02:44   #380
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
What is so crazy about being able to defend yourself from criminals?

Here's what happened in Australia when they turned in their guns. These aren't Americans in the video, these are Australians, including law enforcement. Crime skyrocketed after the guns were confiscated.
It really, really concerns me that some one would be foolish enough from 'outside' Australia to post stupid lies about Australia. So to balance off this silly video, please have a look at the following links, because most of Australia are laughing at the stupidity of the US Gun Lobby who produced that silly video.

When will the US learn from Australia? Stricter gun control laws save lives | Rebecca Peters | Opinion | The Guardian

Faking waves: how the NRA and pro-gun Americans abuse Australian crime stats

7.30 Report - 22/3/2000: Anti-gun campaigners apalled by NRA adverts

To make it very clear, MOST Australian's are proud of our gun controls. Hunting and sports with guns are alive and well in Australia, but we do have controls in place so if you say you want to shoot rabbits, we make sure you don't buy an AK47 to do so. If you have recently been arrested and charged with assaulting your missus (that's Aussie for wife or partner) we take your gun off you until your trial. If you have been convicted of a violent criminal offense, we won't let you have a gun again.. And 'we', that's most of Australia, like it like that.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 02:49   #381
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,467
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
And 'we', that's most of Australia, like it like that.
funny thing: here we are, a couple of Yanks who spend a lot of time in Oz, and we like it too!

Jim (and Ann too)
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 02:52   #382
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Yes, and she's just having a ball winding you up.
Why in Gods name are you defending yourself/selves to this woman?
Respect for her abilities and age go out the door with the vitriol she spews forth.
Aren't you above it?
OMG I bet you have no idea what's wrong with what you just posted
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 02:53   #383
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
funny thing: here we are, a couple of Yanks who spend a lot of time in Oz, and we like it too!

Jim (and Ann too)
All yanks who like it, are very very welcome
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 03:02   #384
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by latka View Post
Please inform yourself before you post nonsense!
Both dictators rose to the top through political process while the world was watching, the US included.
Once they came into power, they weren't going to let anyone vote them out of office, that's for sure. The only way for the citizens of those nations to depose those dictators would have been for the armed citizens to overthrow them. Can't do that without real weapons, huh? Pitchforks and plowshares aren't all that effective.

Some posters here seem to think that the US meddles in the business of too many nations, yet here it sounds like you're criticizing the US for "watching" while dictators took over.

Which is it? Are you trying to say that some foreign nation, like the US should have intervened?
__________________
socaldmax is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 03:04   #385
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Sometimes it is time to understand that, sometimes a lot of time. I would recommend to all a book : The crusades viewed by Arab eyes.

Amazon.com: The Crusades Through Arab Eyes (Saqi Essentials) (9780805208986): Amin Maalouf: Books

No, it is not wrote by a Muslim fundamentalist but by a great writer, Amin Maalouf, a Libian that lives in France and that has wrote some of the most wonderful historic romances I ever read. This one is not a romance but more of a historian book, very well documented.

Don't believe in me, Amazon has 149 reviews with an average of 4 and a half stars out of 5. On such a controversial them is revealing of the quality of the work.

The book can be a shock for some and a bit the opposite of what happens today: then the ones with barbaric costumes and attitudes were not the the Arabs but the westerners.
Thanks Polux, I just purchased this. Alternative history really interests me.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 03:06   #386
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
OMG did you really just repeat that american gun lobby, donald trump clap trap

Crime did NOT sky rocket at all, thats a rediculous lie. And we havnt had a mass shooting since.
So you are telling me that everyone in that video, all fellow Australians, were lying?

Why would they lie about that? What would they gain?

I'm going to have to ask you to prove they're lying by posting actual crime stats, preferably from a government or law enforcement source.
__________________
socaldmax is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 03:16   #387
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Germany
Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair
Posts: 311
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Great historical fiction.. followed all his adventures including India in the books and the excellent TV series..
Bussaco is just up the road.
been a Sean Bean fan ever since that aired.
__________________
Simonsays is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 03:22   #388
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
So you are telling me that everyone in that video, all fellow Australians, were lying?

Why would they lie about that? What would they gain?

I'm going to have to ask you to prove they're lying by posting actual crime stats, preferably from a government or law enforcement source.
The Australian's commenting in that video are or were against the gun legislation and were spouting whatever their emotions would dictate at the time. But history has shown that the ceiling didn't fall in at all. Crime did not go skyrocketing, nor did firearm offences go through the roof. The rally in the video occurred in South Australia.

Why would people feel like that? Because people don't like loosing something they have, not even for the greater good. That's why they were upset. There are still plenty of gun nuts who still spout false stats and continue to say the sky is falling in.

What have they to gain? Well, like any lobbying, if they can succeed in their lobbying then could succeed in bringing back the free for all that we previously had.. pretty obvious really.

And as for doing the 'stats', NO, I'm not wasting my time on you Scaldmax. I commented to head off everyone else thinking the video you posted is somehow accurate. So they realise it's not an Australian video or accurate of current Australia. It's a video made by the American Gun Lobby. If you really want to know the 'truth', google it yourself as it's pretty easy to do and pretty easy to see the 'truth', if you really want it. With you I doubt it.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/austr...r-crime-rates/
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 03:36   #389
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The Australian's commenting in that video are or were against the gun legislation and were spouting whatever their emotions would dictate at the time. But history has shown that the ceiling didn't fall in at all. Crime did not go skyrocketing, nor did firearm offences go through the roof. The rally in the video occurred in South Australia.

Why would people feel like that? Because people don't like loosing something they have, not even for the greater good. That's why they were upset. There are still plenty of gun nuts who still spout false stats and continue to say the sky is falling in.

What have they to gain? Well, like any lobbying, if they can succeed in their lobbying then could succeed in bringing back the free for all that we previously had.. pretty obvious really.

And as for doing the 'stats', NO, I'm not wasting my time on you Scaldmax. I commented to head off everyone else thinking the video you posted is somehow accurate. So they realise it's not an Australian video or accurate of current Australia. It's a video made by the American Gun Lobby. If you really want to know the 'truth', google it yourself as it's pretty easy to do and pretty easy to see the 'truth', if you really want it. With you I doubt it.



Just as I suspected. Whatever you say, mate.
__________________
socaldmax is offline  
Old 20-01-2016, 03:38   #390
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,221
Images: 2
pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Were it not for America there would be only two world languages.

1. German or
2. Japanese

NO other languages.

Hindi, Spanish, Chinese.............all GONE !!

Ungrateful pack of b......s.
Yeah..!!
You reckon.. ??
Ah well.. if it makes you happy go right ahead.. sniff some more petrol..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sloshing Fuel Equals Near-Disaster ADMPRTR The Sailor's Confessional 18 12-09-2011 11:11
Cruising in Mexico (7 Days in a Mexican Jail) Panamajames Monohull Sailboats 66 10-06-2010 13:06
Smuggling Your Boat Out of Jail TaoJones The Library 3 02-07-2009 08:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.