Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 12:48   #271

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's nearly 3:1 average, for the whole war.

At the end, in front-line tanks it was close to 10:1. Hitler threw a tantrum, when Rosenberg brought him Soviet production figures from the Sicherheitsdienst (which as it turns out were grossly understated), he screamed, "if it's like that, the war is lost!". True story.

Dockhead,

Please provide your source for the 10 to 1 ratio of tanks you state. I have never read these figures in any historical account of WWII History that even approximate those numbers. Here's another source which states Russian tanks 106,025; German tanks: 67,429. Thanks

https://en.wikipedia.org/.../Militar...n_during_World...
Old 19-01-2016, 12:54   #272

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I recall back in the 80'S when I was in Singapore a couple of Yanks sailed in, short of cash, anchored at the Republic of singapore yach club, where I was anchored and took 2 rifles in cases to town, to look for a pawn shop, got arrested, ended up in the infamous CHANGI prison for a month awaiting trial, while there witnessed or heard the Canning of prisoners, went to trial, the Judge believing their story in that they did not know it was illegal to remove the rifles from the boat, fined them and gave them a few days to leave, they sold the boat, bought a smaller one, had some cash and left, talk about lucky.
Old 19-01-2016, 12:55   #273

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Beaver,
Don't be intimidated by this discussion. Thread drift is common when discussions occur among intelligent, educated people. It is one of the strengths of CF, especially when the conversations are civil and polite. Otherwise, our world would be confined to anchors, mixing elbows, and roller furling. Good luck and good discussions.
Unfortunately some haven't been civil or polite. I for one have enjoyed the drift that has been civil. Hearing opinions from elsewhere in the world is interesting maybe even educating.
Old 19-01-2016, 12:58   #274

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

well, this thread has given me a laugh, first thing in the morning. Its got everything in it talk about thread drift.

Re the OP - im not at all surprised at india's reaction. I believe the same thing would have happened if they sneakily entered Australian waters. If they had entered Russian waters they may have been sunk. For that matter, even though it was an American owned vessel, i think the US authorities would have acted the same.

Regardless of their 'intent', they are heavily armed vigilanties and there is no place for them in a civilised world. And i'm strongly in favour of non violent vigilanties when governments refuse to act (sea Shepherd as an example).

And even their 'intent' seems questionable a small vessel, heavily armed for what? Pretty obvious i would think they were out their to dish out their own form of justice. good to see them locked up.
Old 19-01-2016, 12:58   #275

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Dockhead,
Here's are the actual statistics for Russian vs. German tank production in 1945: Russian: 4384; German: 1098. This is 4 to 1 and nowhere near the 10 to 1 ratio you suggest. Here's the link:
Soviet tank numbers - The Dupuy Institute Forum
Old 19-01-2016, 12:59   #276

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Agreed.

In reference to "Pollyanna versions", a very politely phrased version of what I would call "ignorant garbage", I've noticed a direct correlation between grammar/spelling and intelligent discourse. Meaning ignorant people not only spew garbage, but they can't seem to spell or properly construct a sentence.

If websites had a spell checker that deleted posts that contained spelling and grammar errors, not only would my eyes stop bleeding, but we'd see an immediate rise in quality and intelligence of posts.
Should be: "If websites had spell checkers" --grammar error

You provided evidence for your own point.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:05   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ha ha ha the only place to steer clear of is the overly ignorant and violent usa.
sadly this is reality.
arrogance is one thing, imposing ones arrogance on others is unforgiveable.
acting as if one is the policeman for world is arrogance.
PRESUMING the rest of the world is as violent as is usa is arrogance.
PRESUMING that, just because you are a citizen of usa you have right to carry arms into other nations is extreme arrogance. the rights of individuals in usa are merely for usa.
you are NOT covered outside usa borders.
leave your guns at home when you cruise.
avoid problem areas wherein folks are suffering hardship.
donot flaunt your wealth, which, even if you are ssi recipient, is much more than in hands of citizens of the places you travel.
remember a boat is a sign of wealth.
i love reading the ignorant rantings of those who feel the NEED to bear arms in other locales than merely in their on nasty neighborhoods.
makes me laugh my ass off.
ye take weapons into other nations without researching the laws of those locations and then scream bludi murder when you are detained for such behavior.
your actions reflect the nation from which your snakelike bodies slither from the borders. it is unfortunate the usa has individuals such as you to reinforce the ugliness that is the american abroad. shameful.
y'all MUST read "the ugly american". it was a book written about the likes of you all.
perhaps you might drop the narcissistic approach and begin a less obnoxious attitude--perhaps a little more educated and willing to absorb new kinowledge....
try learning what is happening in the world around ye, learn where the hotspots of the world are and avoid em.
the respons to your rantings about your illegal weaponry are hilarious, as you are only ones demanding to bear arms at sea. what ye expecting, a bludi world revolution?? why do you feel NEED to carry armament into these peaceful waters we cruise?? why do you feel your wimpy weaponry will protect you in a war zone??
get real. why do you insist on making all areas in which you feel urge to bring these weapons a war zone--which is what you are doing by bringing weapons of war into the places we cruise.
are you planning to overthrow a govt?? are you planning on killing someone in their own nation>?? what will you do AFTER you shoot someone with your war weapons?? do you think you will be set loose on the countryside and applauded? i think not-- you WILL suffer time in a prison in a third world dick-tatershit waiting forever for trial, which may never come to be. you are in violation of their laws and on their land. yeah usa may come to your rescue, or not.
outside of usa you may find napoleonic law as a base -- you are guilty until proven innocent-- and you will not be proven innocent if you shoot a weapon and injure or kill someone outside usa.
facts is facts. laws are laws. obey them. live in peace.
do you have lots of money??
do you have lots of clout in usa??
if not--leave the stupidity and your clown car in your local pawn shop on your way out of usa.

instead of taking offense at being disallowed weaponry in other nations, try thinking about the consequences of shooting that forbidden weapon in the country in which it is forbidden.
enjoy your alleged rights, but only within your own nation.
you have none outside usa.
usa is only nation allows weaponry for its defense to be in hands of the citizens. think about it a while.
and then there is maritime law, with its ownsets of rules and regulations regarding weaponry.. read em all and understand your tenuous at best standing in and outside of the legal network of the planet.

another hypocrisy i found was the attitude some have about alleged right to life--- seems only fetuses are allowed that by the spewers of this chant... they will murder physicians and kill staffing in clinics and yell about rights to bear arms--and kill whom they choose to kill in the name of right to life.
imagine how this all looks to the citizens of the nations in which we cruise--

keep your testosterone in your pants and guns in the pawn shop when you cruise.
you are supposedly cruising in peace, are you not?
if that is so, why bring war weapons with ye??? is NOT for protection.

as for usa saving anyones asses--- as the situation has been set up by govt of usa, banning armed usa citizens only makes sense. think about it a while. mebbe your narcissistic selves might be able to eek out a thought that is not centered around self.
how soon the cycles of history are forgotten. perhaps due to the fail of education systemless in usa...rodl..
another problem in usa is that the citizens have been dummied down--many of ht e important things to learn have been omitted and banned from education. the kids are being taught the usa is the only intelligence between earth and mars, when in reality, usa has one of the worst education systems and records in planet. the kids are not being taught anything useful anymore. nanny state and political correctness is not education. it is arrogance personified. the ugly american has gotten only uglier than when i first encountered the phenomenon in europe in 1971.

ye do not see other nations producing gun nutz, do ye??/ hell no.
get over your obsession with weaponry. speak peace--do peace. walk your talk
Well said Zeehag !
I am often amused and saddened that citizens of a totalitarian country like the USA should point the finger at other countries for the length of their prison sentences. This from a regime which has 2.2 million people incarcerated in hell holes that would hardly be out of place in the nastiest slum jail in any third world country.
5 yrs ? most jailbirds in the land of the free would think that a free pass.
Where several life sentences are handed down like so much confetti.
You who live in glass houses should think twice before casting your assertions
Old 19-01-2016, 13:11   #278

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

wow did that story get cherry picked allowing a anti American gun rant. Anti piracy ship hired to guard commercial ships in a high risk area sneaks in to get fuel in India waters and caught. First trial Judge dismisses all charges!
Court appeals and 2nd Judge gives five years to everyone. BTW none of the crew are American and this is no where near the stepping stone for an anti-gun, anti-American rant.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:16   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncycle View Post
wow did that story get cherry picked allowing a anti American gun rant. Anti piracy ship hired to guard commercial ships in a high risk area sneaks in to get fuel in India waters and caught. First trial Judge dismisses all charges!
Court appeals and 2nd Judge gives five years to everyone. BTW none of the crew are American and this is no where near the stepping stone for an anti-gun, anti-American rant.
It WAS an American owned vessel , or does that little snippet of information not count for anything?
Old 19-01-2016, 13:20   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
Well said Zeehag !
I am often amused and saddened that citizens of a totalitarian country like the USA should point the finger at other countries for the length of their prison sentences. This from a regime which has 2.2 million people incarcerated in hell holes that would hardly be out of place in the nastiest slum jail in any third world country.
5 yrs ? most jailbirds in the land of the free would think that a free pass.
Where several life sentences are handed down like so much confetti.
You who live in glass houses should think twice before casting your assertions
And in addition, a country that one of a very few that imprisons and sentences children in the same manner as adults.

Im actually a fan of many things american, but when it comes to human rights and justice, the USA is ranking exceptionally poorly.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:20   #281
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It WAS an American owned vessel , or does that little snippet of information not count for anything?
There you go..!!
Splitting bludi hairs again...!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:24   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LMFAO... First I've heard we in the UK were liberated Dood...!!
Though we were near bankrupted paying for the piece of ***** mothballed ships you sold us at extortionate prices..
Well, you limeys coulda built your own ships. Right?
Old 19-01-2016, 13:24   #283
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
well, this thread has given me a laugh, first thing in the morning. Its got everything in it talk about thread drift.

Re the OP - im not at all surprised at india's reaction. I believe the same thing would have happened if they sneakily entered Australian waters. If they had entered Russian waters they may have been sunk. For that matter, even though it was an American owned vessel, i think the US authorities would have acted the same.

Regardless of their 'intent', they are heavily armed vigilanties and there is no place for them in a civilised world. And i'm strongly in favour of non violent vigilanties when governments refuse to act (sea Shepherd as an example).

And even their 'intent' seems questionable a small vessel, heavily armed for what? Pretty obvious i would think they were out their to dish out their own form of justice. good to see them locked up.
More like armed Mercenaries in India's eyes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:25   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There you go..!!
Splitting bludi hairs again...!!
yeah probably not really relevant.

I wonder if their is an American Evangelical church supporting the vessel with their prayers and missionary money.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:28   #285

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

I am sure we are looking forward to the day when we can turn the guns into high grade anchor chains.... but it may take another 10,000 years of evolution. Of course some nasty aliens from Planet X may then show up...
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns