Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 11:53   #256
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formosa Scott View Post
So you're saying that you're a bully.
actually i am telling you to put your shoes on. i think they will fit. you know, the ones you like to wear when you troll and bully. you have offered no positive info to this thread. so why did you respond, merely to troll??

i donot give a flying rats or trolls ass who carries what where. i WILL stand by and offer NO sympathy WHEN you screw up.
you shoot someone with your guns, you WILL have a large problem.

your ignorance is my bliss.
Old 19-01-2016, 11:58   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipe6 View Post
..... But then again, social security is seen by many americans as communism.
Do not confuse social security as welfare......there IS a difference!
Old 19-01-2016, 12:04   #258

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Sailors are free spirits.... most have weapons aboard in some fashion even if they are from Europe. There has to be an agreement that cruisers can and do sail to places that are potentially dangerous. Logically they have to have some form of protection. Until someone invents some kind of Stun Ray Gun...
Old 19-01-2016, 12:10   #259

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Excellent, and I couldn't agree more, though with the caveat that "over" still meant a lot of fighting, so perhaps "outcome inevitable" or something like... I chose Kursk because that is the point at which all hope was lost even in the eyes of most Germans. There was absolutely no turning back after that, not even any hope of negotiated peace. But I agree in general with you for sure. So you are/were a historian, or is that just another string to your bow so to speak?
Your phrase "outcome inevitable" is more precise than what I said.

My interest in history is purely amateur, although I have worked with professionals, and professionals read my work. WWII has been a lifelong interest. I speak, read, and write both Russian and German, so I have access to primary sources which are inaccessible to many professionals.

WWII was THE existential conflict for both Germans and Russians, so what is written in those languages is generally much more interesting than what we have. Although there are a few popular Brit historians who are quite interesting -- I like Anthony Beevor, for example.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 19-01-2016, 12:12   #260

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"The Soviets were outproducing the Nazis 10:1 in items of materiel like tanks, towards the end of the war." Dockhead

Dockhead,
Published historians like yourself have an obligation to your readership to present facts that are historically accurate. There was no time during the war that Russia "outproduced" Germany by 10:1 in tanks. Can you produce the source of this information? The following article from the National Wartime Museum, one of many, shows total tank production of Russia: 54,000; total tank production of Germany: 19,926 Thanks

www.nationalww2museum.org/.../ww2.../w...
Old 19-01-2016, 12:19   #261
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Another thing that gets forgotten..
GB was fighting on 2 fronts.. Europe.. and Asia from 1940.. before Pearl Harbour

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-01-2016, 12:22   #262

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
In nothing I have written is there any disrespect to any person or country. To what you are referring I have no idea. Feel free to address anything I have written, but do not presume to credit me with any remarks or thoughts I did not specifically make.
Sorry if I gave that impression. I was referring to a post where you said to another member of this forum: "You are one of the most vicious people posting here." I quoted you on that.

I never said that it was you that called son to somebody else or called scum of the earth to those that don't share (with that member) their political ideas, somebody did and I preferred not to name them not to increase the not needed conflictuality. If it was you that had said that I would include that on your quote, don't you think so?

Just saying that the one that you call vicious was far from being the less polite or the more aggressive on its statements. All have right to have an opinion if it is expressed in a correct way even if one that implies that I am right and all other that don't share my opinion wrong, is kind of an arrogant one
Old 19-01-2016, 12:25   #263
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No, that was me, and I apologized for that. It was uncalled for.
Old 19-01-2016, 12:26   #264

Boat: Grumman 17, Catalina 22

Has anyone even read the link in the OP's initial post? Good lord, none of these pirate hunters were even Americans. I don't think there vessel was involved in WWI or WWII, and the rhetoric on this subject would lead a casual reader to believe WWIII is right around the corner. I didn't even see a single person wondering if these knuckleheads even engaged any pirates, how about everyone just step away from their computers and chill out.
Old 19-01-2016, 12:31   #265

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavereater View Post
Has anyone even read the link in the OP's initial post? Good lord, none of these pirate hunters were even Americans. I don't think there vessel was involved in WWI or WWII, and the rhetoric on this subject would lead a casual reader to believe WWIII is right around the corner. I didn't even see a single person wondering if these knuckleheads even engaged any pirates, how about everyone just step away from their computers and chill out.
Beaver,
Don't be intimidated by this discussion. Thread drift is common when discussions occur among intelligent, educated people. It is one of the strengths of CF, especially when the conversations are civil and polite. Otherwise, our world would be confined to anchors, mixing elbows, and roller furling. Good luck and good discussions.
Old 19-01-2016, 12:33   #266
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystktravler View Post
...spewing her vitriol...
Excellent phrasing and exceptionally accurate. An intellectual and emotional train wreck whose endless fury is sadly breathtaking.

Paul
Old 19-01-2016, 12:34   #267

Quote: "Can we refer to Cameron and Sus scrofa domesticus in one sentence these days? "

:-)
Not only can we - some of us feel it's the only right thing to do :-0)!

TrentePieds
Old 19-01-2016, 12:35   #268

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Allied bombing of Nazi controlled cities came after and only after Hitler started bombing London. Remember the evacuation of school aged children from London to the English countryside because of the nightly bombing by German V2's. No I suppose you don't. Lets not get facts in the way of anti American propaganda.
Actually most think that is true but it is not, it was the other way around:

"The RAF flew its first strategic bombing raid on Germany at Mönchengladbach on 11 May 1940 and in September 1940, the Luftwaffe began targeting British cities in 'The Blitz'. "

I only learned about that some years ago and I was quite surprised. There is a British historian that made a work about that. Propaganda lead the British to think that the German were the first.

Anyway that is not important. If others use torture or terrorism as a way to win war that does not justify a civilized country to use it. If Nazis started bombing city centers that does not mean that the British would have to stand at the same moral ground.

Who wants to be on the same moral ground with Nazis?
Old 19-01-2016, 12:37   #269

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"The Soviets were outproducing the Nazis 10:1 in items of materiel like tanks, towards the end of the war." Dockhead

Dockhead,
Published historians like yourself have an obligation to your readership to present facts that are historically accurate. There was no time during the war that Russia "outproduced" Germany by 10:1 in tanks. Can you produce the source of this information? The following article from the National Wartime Museum, one of many, shows total tank production of Russia: 54,000; total tank production of Germany: 19,926 Thanks

www.nationalww2museum.org/.../ww2.../w...
That's nearly 3:1 average, for the whole war.

At the end, in front-line tanks it was close to 10:1. Hitler threw a tantrum, when Rosenberg brought him Soviet production figures from the Sicherheitsdienst (which as it turns out were grossly understated), he screamed, "if it's like that, the war is lost!". True story.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 19-01-2016, 12:38   #270
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavereater View Post
SSSHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh...!!
Not relevant...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns