Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 09:28   #151

Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
Maybe some necessary food for thought.

In a 100 day period in Rwanda, in 1994, up to a million people were slaughtered.

That slaughter was mostly carried out with machete's.

The important point is, those people that were slaughtered, didn't have the necessary means available to be able to fight back and defend themselves.

Deny the effective means of self defence, and you deny the Right of Self Defence.
Of course they had machetes, a basic agritultural tool in a mainly agrarian country. They were just overwhelmed by the force of numbers of a determined aggressor.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:30   #152

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
What ads do you guys get?
I always have the exact same ones, and they're still there now ...

(Right panel: wiki, Spade, GMN, some prop, Vesper & Mantus. Never changes.)
Google ads (or any of the others, AFAIK) targets by general location, as well as by individdual location. So, here in the U.S., I'll see what's legal to buy here. That probably explains ...
Old 19-01-2016, 09:31   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Actually -- according to Dutch law, shooting an unarmed intruder is considered (attempted) murder as it is considered "excessive force" (sorry, not 100% sure how to translate the legal terms here).
This is the case in plenty of countries, and the law applies whether you agree with it or not.
Exactly the same in Ireland. People have served prison terms as a result, and yes Lizzie, your translation is correct
Old 19-01-2016, 09:32   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipe6 View Post
Enlighten us. When were there "boots on the ground" before 1944?
Operation Torch, 8 November 1942, etc.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:34   #155

Boat: Dufour 35 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
Operation Torch, 8 November 1942, etc.
Never knew that north africa was part of europe.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:34   #156

Quote:
It was in stalingrad that the nazis got their first serious beating. That's what broke their spirit.
The Battle of Britain 1940 counts for nothing then?

Or El Alamein, 23 October–11 November 1942 . . . . .
Old 19-01-2016, 09:36   #157

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

11 pages of comments in less than a day. I won't be reading more than the first couple of comments as I doubt very much anything new has been posted - just the regular pro-gun/anti-gun comments.

I've got real work to do - restoring an old wood boat is as much fun as anything else I have done.

Old 19-01-2016, 09:37   #158
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Excuse me. You say you live in Australia and the Mid East. I was born in Australia and will remain ever thankful for the United States in aiding Australia from being invaded by the Japanese during WWII. America and the spilled blood of their best saved my place of birth. American blood was spilled in saving Kuwait from invasion. American blood was spilled in saving millions in Korea from the evil of the North. American blood was spilled in liberating Europe and the United Kingdom from the clutches of the evil monstrous Nazis. All of these wars that the United States sent their young men and of recent women into very serious harms way were wars that were NOT started by the United States. Western civilization owes a huge debt to the United States for saving their collective backsides around the globe.

You last words "the rest of us are sitting here waiting for someone to come and save us all from America" shows your hostility towards one of the greatest freedom loving democracies the world has ever seen. Your hostility towards the United States tells me that you are most likely a newer resident of Australia who feels more at home in some mid east culture. Its amazing how the US haters come out and reveal their true colors.

I am now a permanent resident of the United States. I thank GD for the USA and I will always defend her against the scum of the world who disrespect and show hostility to the greatest democracy on the planet. And I will always be grateful for American lives given in the defense of my birth country and the defense of most of the free world.

Too bad you anti American hater can't wait to see yourself saved from America. Sickening anti American hate.
LMFAO... First I've heard we in the UK were liberated Dood...!!
Though we were near bankrupted paying for the piece of ***** mothballed ships you sold us at extortionate prices..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:37   #159

Boat: Dufour 35 1973

I'm afraid we're talking about different subjects.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:37   #160

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
You mean peace did never exist on the cradle of civilization?
What an odd thing to say. Maybe we should never have raised above stone age

To the moderators: Maybe this thread should be moved to out of topic forum. I am the OP and never intended this to be out of the the parameters that relate guns on boats but obviously most posts have nothing to do with it. There are some interesting political posts here and the thread is interesting but not here.
I'm finding delete very handy.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:39   #161

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Guns on boats equals 5 years jail time

Zee, I have huge respect for your sailing exploits (tho I have grave doubts about how much you enjoyed the 60kts of wind) but you now seem so anti-American... Perhaps it's time to start returning those monthly checks from Uncle Sam, and live by yer own devices?
Old 19-01-2016, 09:39   #162

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Yeah right, try and come up with something new for a change. That phrase is old and hollow. Police in the uk do not carry guns, still they do a better job than the police in the us.

Vipe,
This is changing, as we speak, with the ubiquitous terrorism/violent crime in England and throughout Europe as well as the recent violent refugee crimes. And, to compare a country of roughly 50 million, England, with the US--300 million is patently absurd.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:40   #163
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It was in stalingrad that the nazis got their first serious beating. That's what broke their spirit.
I agree, due to the winter, vastly over extended supply lines, etc, but again my point is that without our air superiority due to our massive resupplying of the allies, and all that brought with it, they would probably have regrouped and resupplied, if their factories were still standing, as well as their railways, depots, transport systems in general. Regardless, my humble opinion is that if we had stayed on the sidelines, Europe would be a _significantly_ different place than it is today, and Hitlers demise was anything but inevitable.

But I digress, we have a difference of opinion, which is fine, no harm done. Unlike lets say the group of people in Rwanda 20 years ago who were unarmed and with whom other people had 'disagreements' with, and who didn't end up in a very happy place at the end of the day. By the 10's of thousands. Or Bosnia. But those are different events for different discussions, though all are relevant in some way to this one. It just shows that it did/does happen today, just like it did back Way Back Then. Nothing really changes, other than the dates and places, because no one really learns. We're Humans, and that sadly isn't going to change any time soon. If ever.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:42   #164

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by alha View Post
Are you serious? You don't think we started fighting in Europe until June 6, 1944? Ok, I am finished with this line of discussion, it's going to prove to be fruitless, and I have better things to do than continue along with no hope of any agreement whatsoever.
US troops started to fight on Europe in July 1943 in Sicily. The first American troops disembarked on Italy at 9 Setember 1943. Italy had surrendered at 8 September but they helped liberate Italy from the Nazi troops that remained there.

The bigger American intervention happened with the Normandy Invasion at 6 June 1944.

The second European front that the Soviets had pressed for was finally opened on 6 June 1944, when the Allies attacked the heavily fortified Atlantic Wall. Supreme Allied commander General Dwight D. Eisenhower had delayed the attack because of bad weather, but finally the largest amphibious assault in history began.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milita...g_World_War_II
Old 19-01-2016, 09:49   #165
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Sorry, but as a loyal American, this sort of discussion nonetheless reminds me of a statistic that says, more or less, 85% of US Citizens don't have passports. This has all sorts of side effects, which those of us fortunate enough to travel and live in a number of countries, see very boldly. As I said, sorry......really sorry!
Allow me to correct myself......googled the updated statistic. Turns out that 20 years ago, the percentage was around 10%, but it has now surged to 36%, a big improvement but way behind such places as Canada, 60%, and the UK, 75%. It's got to mean SOMETHING!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns