Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 21:49   #1

Guns

Hey everyone, I have been doing a lot of searching on this forum about various things and on several occasions i have come across this negative stigma about people who have guns on their boat. I know im probably opening up a can of worms here but what is that all about? like i said in my introduction i will begin my tour of the west coast visiting various boats in a couple weeks and once i make my purchase i will for sure have guns on my boat. Mine wont be for protection but for recreation. They wont even be readily accessible. I have grown up living off the land and the sea and i look at my boat as a way to do this more efficiently(Maybe just more rewarding). You can be sure im going to be packing some guns through southeast ak and Prince William Sound, there is some world class black tailed deer hunting there and i wont be passing it up. Don't worry the issues involved with preserving meat are something that has been solved for hundreds of years, a pressure cooker does amazing things. I have always been a meat hunter never trophy. i look at anything wild as a step above organic and i choose that for taste and health reasons. i think some people carrying guns are doing it for different reasons than others.

Old 03-09-2013, 22:09   #2

Re: Guns

I for one don't support the negative stigma, but I do seem to encounter it more often than I would like.

Good luck keeping this thread from becoming a can of worms. This is a hot button topic on this forum & the conversation usually degenerates quickly if not kept under control. Recently, a poster did manage to keep a thread of this type on the straight & narrow by limiting the scope of the conversation as people began to stray. That thread was the exception, rather than the rule here. With a little careful effort, you may manage to be the second person to go that route & maybe even start a trend. I don't think that will happen unless you keep a firm hold on the reigns though.

I wish you the best.

Regards,
Jim

Old 03-09-2013, 22:11   #3

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

A can of worms?? nahhh ,, a Nuke mushroom if you dont lock this topic soon...
Old 03-09-2013, 22:21   #4

Once you leave the US, things get 100 times more difficult. Good luck. __Grant.
Old 03-09-2013, 22:22   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It depends where you go. For the US (and maybe Canada?) I think it's perfectly acceptable and entirely wise to have a firearm onboard.

If you're going to Mexico (since you're on the Pacific side) or going world sailing where you'll need to deal with dozens of different nations and their (generally speaking) rather zero tolerance policies towards firearms, it's a different matter.

If you want meat, hone your fishing skills.

I'm exiting this thread before it gets insanely stupid.
Old 03-09-2013, 22:34   #6

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Here we go!
Old 03-09-2013, 22:46   #7

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

What would be best to hold the boat whilst off replenishing the game larder, a Manson Supreme, Rocna or Beugel?
So many choices.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 03-09-2013, 22:47   #8

This is the other gun thread that managed to stay on topic - A sensible reply to a closed thread, Guns

It can be done if someone is willing to put in a little effort.
Old 03-09-2013, 22:48   #9

yeah, i understand the issues with traveling abroad with guns. I guess i shouldn't of brought it up. lol there must be some interesting people packing guns out there for it to be such an issue. i do enjoy fishing quiet a bit. It is my job so that is something i feel like i can do pretty well. I was trying to say that some people probably have them for the wrong reasons and i was just trying to point out some of the right reasons. What is the reason that most people who have guns on their boats have them? Is it protection??
Old 03-09-2013, 22:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Mac View Post
What would be best to hold the boat whilst off replenishing the game larder, a Manson Supreme, Rocna or Beugel?
So many choices.
Cheers,
Mac

haha, i see a lot differing opinions on this subject as well.
Old 03-09-2013, 22:54   #11

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Around here, guns are used to hunt moose while sailing! Mooses are great swimmers, if you didn't know.

Mauritz
Knows and sees all...Moose is not for sale!
Old 03-09-2013, 22:54   #12

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
It depends where you go. For the US (and maybe Canada?) I think it's perfectly acceptable and entirely wise to have a firearm onboard.

If you're going to Mexico (since you're on the Pacific side) or going world sailing where you'll need to deal with dozens of different nations and their (generally speaking) rather zero tolerance policies towards firearms, it's a different matter.

If you want meat, hone your fishing skills.

I'm exiting this thread before it gets insanely stupid.
1 for what Rebel said. I'm a gun nut and have a many. But, if you want to go places outside of the US their best left behind.
Old 03-09-2013, 23:19   #13

More trouble than they are worth on sailboats. If you have a rifle onboard then you'll be able to carry it in Canada with normal rules, ie: trigger locks etc. but if its a pistol you better leave it at home. Alaska is no problem but if your going anywhere else in the world its best to leave them behind, just too much hassle in my opinion.
Old 04-09-2013, 00:21   #14

Yeah like everyone else I think if you feel like you need one get one, but abide by your states and whatever counties laws you are in. I live in Montana, and we LOVE our guns here, but I won't be cruising with any.

Bucket bucket wheres my bucket... DoJ! Bring the bucket, we're going to need it!

Hey Eric (of Rebel Heart), BTW I've been going through your blog, starting on your first post. Pretty interesting to see where you were 6 years ago and where you are now. Keep up the blogging its an inspiration to me
Old 04-09-2013, 00:29   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Here's my idea of the perfect onboard gun that can be used for hunting, protection, fun to shoot and is legal to have in most states including California.... as of today. The short barrel makes it easy to handle in tight quarters. Shown with a 10 round mag, 30 round mags are available where legal to posses them.

Vepr AK47
Click image for larger version

Name:	vepr ak47.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	66473

Tags
Guns

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: