Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-04-2016, 14:49   #121

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Gunboat 66 – the ultimate fast cruiser?

Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
you dont happen to be brokers selling these large old monos ?

The issue with that pretty looking 80 ft yacht is SHADE. In era of f*up environment and ozone layer thinning, skin cancer become more deadly.

And in my books any boat with no appropriate shade when sailing is no go even if it does 11 kn in 3 kn of wind.
As I said I am not interested in judging the reason more choose large luxury yachts than large (but smaller and as expensive) luxury cats, the fact in itself is the only thing relevant on this case, regarding the non survival of Gunboat, the reasons are irrelevant.

But even if I had not said nothing about it one of the things i find odd on the Gunboat 55 is the need to sail the boat inside an enclosure. Maybe that is one of the things that diverge regarding monohull and multihull sailors: I see as very disagreeable the impossibility to sail the boat outdoors and you seem to like it.

The difference is that boats like the A80 are designed to be sailed outdoors for people that like the feeling of sailing outdoors and removable shades can be mounted or removed as wiched, contrary to the ones on Gunboat sailing boats that are permanent. No way to sail the boat outdoors.

I don't see any of the options as preferable in a general way, it will depend on the sailors but they will be certainly different type of sailors with different preferences and not only regarding to be a monohull or a multihull.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 15:45   #122

The reason my helm is indoors is because I've spent too many thousands of hours getting... wet, sunburned, cold, hot.

It was essential to me to have an indoor helm this time around, though the entire front window opens so you can get a breeze if desired.

cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 17:22   #123
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Gunboat 66 – the ultimate fast cruiser?

I'd suggest you stop using protection oils and creams by Johnson & Johnson.. and check any other brands for Petroleum by products.
“I do not exist to impress the world.
I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy. ”

boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 15:52   #124

If someone wants to give me one I'll be more than happy to find somewhere to put it.
As far as speed is concerned I guess it's a bit like riding a fast bike. I've got a couple of those.
The bikes will do 300 kph and get to 100k quicker than a Veyron but other than the occasional quick squirt I don't bother.
There's a certain smug satisfaction knowing what you can do without ever having to prove it.
Besides there's nothing comfortable in riding quick as physics are always trying to throw you off the bike.
Looking at the concentration of the helmsman doing 20 knots would put it in the same category for me.
Fun for a while but I'm old enough to enjoy the hell out of the boat cruising at 5 knots.
Tbonem17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 16:55   #125
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Or the autopilot could be doing it effortlessly at 10 knots...

"You CANNOT be serious!"

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

cruise, cruiser, Ferrari, gunboat, motorsailer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: