Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 12:23   #91
cruiser

Re: Gun Laws for Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Ken, I suggest you look into a box of scare cartridges. I have seen them used to good effect.
Going with .50 cal 3 inch Remington Sabots.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:31   #92

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'm not following John61, is he referring to my previous post about semi-auto?

If so, I said "should" because I wouldn't swear by my information. Semi autos are legal, and allowed, in Canada. Though the AR15 is now classified as a restricted firearm, just like a handgun here in Canada.

That was a political move, as it's no more dangerous than any other semi-auto rifle, it's just more infamous.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:07   #93

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Going with .50 cal 3 inch Remington Sabots.
My Mossy Mariner has a 2.75" receiver. I can load 3" shells individually but they won't eject cleanly, i.e. will prevent you from chambering the next round.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 22:43   #94

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

Short story: You'll get some snotty looks, spend about an hour, and pay some cash to keep your gun unless you have any kind of criminal record, in which case you'll be shown the u turn lane.
Long story: A little over ten years, my daughter and I entered Canada via Detroit w a single shot shotgun that I had broken down and stored out of reach in my truck. I declared this fact to the little man in the booth and you would have thought I told him that I was transporting nerve gas. Off went the whistles, red lights, then "pull it over there, now! "
I cooperated, parked the truck, and when another man, the inspector, approached I offered to show him where the gun was hidden. He shook his head no and told me to "get a way from the vehicle" and go into the office and report to the officers in there. I did so, filled out their form, and paid about $50 for a short term permit to keep my 'weapon'. About forty minutes after having surrendered my vehicle, I walked back to the searching area w my freshly minted permit only to find that the second man, now sweaty and nervous, had torn the truck apart but could not find my gun and at that point was ready to cry uncle and ask me for help. I showed him how the back seat in the very popular Ford F250 folded forward to allow for a small storage space behind.
Follow up: On returning to the U.S. I went thru customs on the N.Y. border. Officer asked, "Whadda ya got ? " I told him a pack of Canadian cigarettes and a 12 gauge shotgun. He asked, "Is that it?" Yep. Stamped the passport and said, "Have a nice day."
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:52   #95

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Speaking of bears....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0388.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	173248  
Old 08-07-2018, 07:20   #96

Boat: Rafiki 37

A Swiss boat just left our little marina here in Corner Brook, heading for Labrador and Greenland. I raised the question of carrying a gun for polar bears. These people, who have travelled far, including northern Europe in polar bear country, and who also have had military training, thought a gun is completely unnecessary.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:23   #97

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
A Swiss boat just left our little marina here in Corner Brook, heading for Labrador and Greenland. I raised the question of carrying a gun for polar bears. These people, who have travelled far, including northern Europe in polar bear country, and who also have had military training, thought a gun is completely unnecessary.
Yeah, right! Ask any Inuit what he thinks. Only in Russia would somebody............

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2109.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	173254  
Old 08-07-2018, 08:48   #98

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
I guess it depends where they may be planning to get off the boat, Mike. There's a national park in Labrador, for example, that used to require anyone venturing in to carry a suitable firearm. Now I believe you can only venture in accompanied by an armed guide. Ditto for parts of Greenland, with regulations even specifying minimum caliber size. I'm sure such areas can be avoided, of course, in which case having a firearm onboard is obviously unnecessary, but may still be desirable for some.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:08   #99

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
Except that when in Canada you become e facto a Canadian. I'm surprise that Americans can have 2 concurrent nationalities.
The other thing, is that the law of max 3 shells apply only while hunting migratory birds.
I'm curious why would having dual citizenship surprise you? I have it , it is no surprise to me.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:18   #100

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
There's a national park in Labrador, for example, that used to require anyone venturing in to carry a suitable firearm. Now I believe you can only venture in accompanied by an armed guide..
That's not quite true ... The Torngat Mountains NP, while emphasising that "Polar bears are an EXTREME hazard", do not require you to be accompanied by an armed guide ... you are free to visit unarmed.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:29   #101
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
I'm curious why would having dual citizenship surprise you? I have it , it is no surprise to me.
Yes very few countries don't allow dual citizenship, mostly autocratic or less developed ones.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:32   #102

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Quote:
Well it's a good thing for the Swiss people that their government doesn't think guns are completely unnecessary or every household wouldn't be required to have one along with military training.
Guns can kill a lot of things and save the lives of a lot of things as well.
Thanks for the info on bringing a firearm into Canada. I wonder if Canadian crimminals have their firearm paperwork in order????
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:48   #103

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Well it's a good thing for the Swiss people that their government doesn't think guns are completely unnecessary or every household wouldn't be required to have one along with military training.
Thanks for the info on bringing a firearm into Canada. I wonder if Canadian crimminals have their firearm paperwork in order????

We Canadians like to have a little joking fun with our US neighbors about guns.

There is usually no problem bringing a hunting rifle/shotgun into Canada as long as you have paperwork proving that you know how to operate & store it safely,don't have a criminal record,plan to use the firearm for protection from wildlife in remote areas or,are going hunting with a Canadian.
The USA has pretty much the same restrictions on VISITORS to their country, & I bet Switzerland does also.

US citizens are allowed by US law to CARRY & POSSESS,just about any firearm known to man-INSIDE the borders of the USA.
That is OK! It's not my business-it's their country!

The "GUN" problem only arises when a US citizen leaves the USA & enters a foreign country.
He must follow the laws of the country he is visiting.
The laws of the USA do not come with him!
He is a visitor in a foreign country-he has only the rights granted by the foreign country to visitors.

Ignorance of the law (of the foreign country) is never an excuse.
Call the free 1-800 # & ask before you come.

I live on the Can/US border. I visit the USA frequently. I am only a few miles/km from home,but,I am a foreigner & I follow the laws of the USA-whether I agree with them or not.

Please read my post # 74 if you want the current facts.

Cheers/ Len
Old 08-07-2018, 12:29   #104

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I guess it depends where they may be planning to get off the boat, Mike. There's a national park in Labrador, for example, that used to require anyone venturing in to carry a suitable firearm. Now I believe you can only venture in accompanied by an armed guide. Ditto for parts of Greenland, with regulations even specifying minimum caliber size. I'm sure such areas can be avoided, of course, in which case having a firearm onboard is obviously unnecessary, but may still be desirable for some.
Yes, it definitely would depend on plans and where you want to travel. I’ve said before, about the only place I’d consider carrying a gun was into polar bear territory. That’s why I was interested in what my new Swiss friends were planning. They have travelled through polar bear territory, including up to Svalbard. They are also trained in the use of weapons, and likely own guns (I didn’t ask). Their opinion was that a gun was unnecessary for their travels. But they agreed that if they were going to venture far on shore, or travel in heavy pack ice where bears might be travelling, then a gun would be useful.

For people like me, I’d be better off hiring a local guide with gun.

Quote:
Not sure what your point is. But as for Canadian criminals, we’ve had a spat of shootings in our biggest city of late. According to the police the guns being used have mostly come from the USA — so thanks for that .
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 17:14   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicsailboat View Post
The facts are that guns kill, Please leave it home, we have enough crazies already.
As a Canadian, I don't want to get into a gun debate. I will comment that if you are going into remote areas of Newfoundland, having a gun such as the OP indicated, might be a wise choice. In more urban areas, perhaps not needed. My only other comment is if you have to use it, the consequences will spoil your trip to Canada.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada