Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 21:31   #31

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Gulf stream trouble

I don't want to be a pessimist, but I honestly think it's harmful to culture in a way. It mainstreams people making stupid decisions, with either intentional, or unintentional, half-baked abilities to anticipate the seriousness of what they are getting into.

Or, a "Little Engine that Could" view of things - that at least according to all these heartfelt soliloquies - nearly always turns out to be a dramatic disaster. Other people, mainly younger people, eat this up - and it propagates itself. A good part of this I think, is just for human affirmance accolades, and eventually it gets old, because the market is flooded with these dramas.

So... the decisions get dumber and dumber - and recently there was a poster on this forum actually drumming up interest for his first solo sail in the ocean, with assurances that he had no real idea what he was doing - but the "camera will be running" so be sure to watch. I'm not sure what happened - but if it went as planned, it was a major disaster. I'm sure some segment of the population loved it, and they will try to top it. Literally - screw up worse.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 21:57   #32

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Gutsy of him to post it. It would have been a lot easier for him to say he learned a lesson when he had returned in a calm harbor setting. I see it as instructive. I think the first second tells it all. 50 hours with no sleep, and then alone in an uncomfortable night where he wished he had reefed. As anyone who has tried to stay awake too long knows, things seem VERY different under those conditions. Yes, he should not have gone out without a plan for sleeping, I am sure he knows that now.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 22:32   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Gutsy of him to post it. It would have been a lot easier for him to say he learned a lesson when he had returned in a calm harbor setting. I see it as instructive. I think the first second tells it all. 50 hours with no sleep, and then alone in an uncomfortable night where he wished he had reefed. As anyone who has tried to stay awake too long knows, things seem VERY different under those conditions. Yes, he should not have gone out without a plan for sleeping, I am sure he knows that now.

I agree with that too. But, just the issue being, that all these things are being filmed, and spread around. It's no doubt instructive, if you look at it that way. But in another way, it's an invitation to put yourself in the same situation - with the false assurance that it's going to work out in the end, and you'll be more popular at the end of it. It's definitely a mixed bag, and it depends on the smarts of the person viewing it. You know how that goes.
Old 12-09-2019, 00:40   #34

Auspicious! You're back! Yaaaay! We missed you.

Lots of sea miles under your belt lately?

Warmly,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:46   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

I think if that guy pulled down his video then maybe he did so just for maintenance - make the '25kts of wind' a bit higher and the '50hrs of no sleep' a bit lower - to make it more in line with reality (or, if not reality, then at least probability).

We may have actually helped him improve his art with our comments.

I think his work is actually good, in both the visual and the narrative layers. A beard could help maybe. It is odd to have no sleep for two days and yet to look well shaven. I look like crap after the first 24 hours anyways. I never take any images of myself when I am so tired.

This is the small men benefit of social media like youtube, cussing forum, facebook, instagram, tinder. You know - creative people are able to gain feedback and then remake their products in what you call the fast prototyping model. The big men benefit is the big data.

It is a shame the summer is over and soon the forum will return to all that sailing nonsense with chargers, hulls, and white Rocna supremacists posting their post modernistic ideas on which Benneteau is better.

;-)

Enjoy it while it lasts,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:11   #36

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I do not think the whining was in real. I take it was part of his youtube blogging strategy.

Them sailing hipsters call it SEO or samtin' like that.

I prefer this to Delos faked nudity.

b.
Oh I dunno, if Im gonna suffer thru dribel like that there might as well be some gratuitous T&A!

In fact, I find it difficult to suffer thru most of this genre even when there is T&A involved...maybe there is an edited version that just dispenses with all the dribel and faux sailing...a T&A cut version. Sort of like a "best of" series. At least that would be honest. [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:12   #37

Quote:
I do not think the whining was in real. I take it was part of his youtube blogging strategy.

Them sailing hipsters call it SEO or samtin' like that.

I prefer this to Delos faked nudity.

b.
SEO = Search Engine Optimization?
Old 13-09-2019, 16:35   #38

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
snip

I think his work is actually good, in both the visual and the narrative layers. A beard could help maybe. It is odd to have no sleep for two days and yet to look well shaven. I look like crap after the first 24 hours anyways. I never take any images of myself when I am so tired.

snip
I look like crap before I even get on the boat.

But I agree about the quality of the vid; problem is it did not strike me as real. Not sure how much weather there really was. Also wonder about the 50 hours with no sleep with probably a couple of more days to get to a place to anchor. It is not realistic to think folks could go that long with no sleep.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 16:57   #39

Taylor Swift flirts with barnakiel in hurricane Dorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
SEO = Search Engine Optimization?

Yep. Daily bloggers bread.

Which of the phrases should be in the title line:

- boat,
- sailboat,
- Taylor Swift.

???

I remember last time me and Taylor Swift crossed the Gulf Stream in hurricane Dorian, we did not see the kind of hipster boris johnson weather that guy got, really!

;-)

And, more seriously, amusing how many people do not get the whole idea of social media, blogs, vlogs, forums, and all other sorts of present day marketing tools.

b.
Old 13-09-2019, 17:29   #40

Re: Taylor Swift flirts with barnakiel in hurricane Dorian

Quote:
Yep. Daily bloggers bread.

Which of the phrases should be in the title line:

- boat,
- sailboat,
- Taylor Swift.

???

I remember last time me and Taylor Swift crossed the Gulf Stream in hurricane Dorian, we did not see the kind of hipster boris johnson weather that guy got, really!

;-)

And, more seriously, amusing how many people do not get the whole idea of social media, blogs, vlogs, forums, and all other sorts of present day marketing tools.

b.
Taylor Swift makes a cameo appearance on SV Delos.... [emoji849]
Old 16-09-2019, 08:05   #41

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

I had to stop the video two minutes into his crying. Such an obvious attempt to get the dumb viewers emotional. Most would edit out the fake, superfluous crying, and just put useful info. Instead everyone walks away thinking “what a Pussy”! A prime candidate for gender reassignment surgery.
Joe from ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 08:18   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post
I had to stop the video two minutes into his crying. Such an obvious attempt to get the dumb viewers emotional. Most would edit out the fake, superfluous crying, and just put useful info. Instead everyone walks away thinking “what a Pussy”! A prime candidate for gender reassignment surgery.
If the video is successful in getting clicks, or likes, or whatever it's supposed to get - it would be a strong indication - that behavior - is what's popular now. A polar opposite to a John Wayne personality, more in line with an Alan Alda perhaps. It's in the eye of the beholder.
Old 16-09-2019, 09:11   #43

This guy makes me feel sorry for the rescue staff who may risk their lives (if he keeps on like this). There is no excuse for this behavior. No wonder he sails alone. Who in their right mind would sail with him as skipper?
Steelhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 09:20   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post

(layout edited)

1) I had to stop the video two minutes into his crying. Such an obvious attempt to get the dumb viewers emotional. Most would edit out the fake, superfluous crying, and just put useful info.

2) Instead everyone walks away thinking “what a Pussy”! A prime candidate for gender reassignment surgery.

1) Above is your opinion. No problem. We each have one.

2) Is your sexist slur. You may opt to edit and avoid.

Or do you really want to say that crying is a sign of being what one president calls a "pussy" and that crying men should undergo a 'gender reassignment surgery'?

Think from the perspective of the person who spent time and effort making the video. A person, like you or me. Some empathy goes a long way.

OK. Maybe his youtube post did not work this time. But he will sure try again and quite likely do better tomorrow. A normal thing with any media production. Think of poor movies by otherwise recognized directors. One has to start somewhere, and not every day we get nominated for Oscars.

Last and least, "Everyone walks away" is very poor style. Write and comment for yourself. I did not walk away. And if you did "after two minutes" then how could you judge the whole video? This is what we call 'jumping to conclusions', eh? Big way.

Cheers,
b.
Old 16-09-2019, 09:45   #45

Boat: Freedom 32'

I still think the video is important. He's not claiming to be a knowledgeable sailor, in fact he says he didn't know what he was doing. And some of the posts here from the old salts are so "high and mighty" like they never did anything foolish in their lives and I'm guessing if they did they wouldn't have the balls to let it be seen so others could learn from it. This guy is lucky to be alive and I believe he knows that. I have no doubt in the future he will be very careful of his life. It's an extremely good video on why trying to be jock is a disaster waiting to happen.

Tags
gulf stream