Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2019, 14:06   #1

Grenadines: Places You Didn't Like and Why

We are sailing a cat to the Grenadines in a couple of weeks. I've already searched all the previous threads on this subject.

Instead of asking for opinions of favorable places to visit, for the sake of brevity I would like to know where most of you would avoid and why.

For instance...seems many sailors didn't care for Canouan because it's not very interesting and there may be a crime issue.

Some didn't like parts of Union Island for various reasons.

Some thought Salt Whistle Bay is too crowded.

Etc etc.

I would really like to hear where you would give a pass to if you only had 10 days to explore.

Thank you in advance.

Old 18-09-2019, 20:01   #2

Re: Grenadines: Places You Didn't Like and Why

Well......Seeing how nobody seems to cruise the Grenadines, I will add a few nuggets to help get things going.

Tyrell Bay.....crowded, touristy and water quality is poor

Glossy Bay.....$200 bucks to tie up the dinghy and check in

Hillsborough.......Spotty holding, rolly and not that interesting

Clifton....sketchy town

Petite St Vincent.....small and nothing much to do

Palm Island.....super snobbish and unwelcoming

Hope that helps a little Saleen!!!!!.....Will try to dig up some more for ya as soon as I can!

Old 19-09-2019, 06:25   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi mate, Clifton isnt sketchy although the Anchorage makes me nervous, I dont like anchoring there, its protected by the reef but can blow hard, if you drag it will most likely end bad, the ground slopes ,I've had trouble digging in. A cat can get in abit further therefore probably better. The moorings are expensive but I would get one if I was you, I've dived on a couple of them and they were fine, although I usually prefer anchoring by a long shot ,a mooring is the way to go there.

Tyrell bay is nothing flash, I only go there to checkin or out, I then head around to palm island (I think it's called that) it's a couple of miles away and very pleasant, once again it's a mooring area as you cant anchor. No need to spend much time around Caracou IMHO, head to the Cayes ,Union ,Bequia and Saltwhistle bay.

I'm not sure theres any places not to go to, there all ok. Saltwater bay is nice, dont let a negative comment put you off.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 06:26   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Palm island isnt the name of the little island approx 3nm from Tyrell, cant remember the name of hand.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 06:42   #5

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Saleen, I just wanted to say, it would be nice to have an update from you after you have done this trip please.

And Dale, you are currently cruising there aren't you? It would be nice to have a thread from you too please.

With all the negativity in a lot of Caribbean related posts, to be honest as much as I have the best and fondest memories of this area I think I'm starting to shift my long term cruising goals to tropical Australia, with the option of the western Pacific (I think I'm mostly done with long ocean passages for pleasure) and Asia if boredom sets in.

This will end up being retirement cruising, so age and health and just 'things being easier' starts to become a factor at that point to consider by that stage too.

Thanks guys
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 07:36   #6

I didn't really appreciate Clifton, but had to stop to clear customs. It is a good place to get cash from the ATM and provisions. We were told by several sources not to overnight at Clifton. However, Chatham Bay on Union was one of our favorite stops. As stated above, Palm Island is one that is out of character for the Grenadines and I would try to miss.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 07:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi mate, Clifton isnt sketchy although the Anchorage makes me nervous, I dont like anchoring there, its protected by the reef but can blow hard, if you drag it will most likely end bad, the ground slopes ,I've had trouble digging in. A cat can get in abit further therefore probably better. The moorings are expensive but I would get one if I was you, I've dived on a couple of them and they were fine, although I usually prefer anchoring by a long shot ,a mooring is the way to go there.

Tyrell bay is nothing flash, I only go there to checkin or out, I then head around to palm island (I think it's called that) it's a couple of miles away and very pleasant, once again it's a mooring area as you cant anchor. No need to spend much time around Caracou IMHO, head to the Cayes ,Union ,Bequia and Saltwhistle bay.

I'm not sure theres any places not to go to, there all ok. Saltwater bay is nice, dont let a negative comment put you off.
Thank you Dale...just the kind of info I was looking for>
Old 19-09-2019, 07:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahtcha View Post
I didn't really appreciate Clifton, but had to stop to clear customs. It is a good place to get cash from the ATM and provisions. We were told by several sources not to overnight at Clifton. However, Chatham Bay on Union was one of our favorite stops. As stated above, Palm Island is one that is out of character for the Grenadines and I would try to miss.
Thank you for the confirmation.
Old 19-09-2019, 07:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Saleen, I just wanted to say, it would be nice to have an update from you after you have done this trip please.

And Dale, you are currently cruising there aren't you? It would be nice to have a thread from you too please.

With all the negativity in a lot of Caribbean related posts, to be honest as much as I have the best and fondest memories of this area I think I'm starting to shift my long term cruising goals to tropical Australia, with the option of the western Pacific (I think I'm mostly done with long ocean passages for pleasure) and Asia if boredom sets in.

This will end up being retirement cruising, so age and health and just 'things being easier' starts to become a factor at that point to consider by that stage too.

Thanks guys
I will be happy to write about this trip when I get back.

I will also regale you with tales of how i single handedly repelled all armed boarders in the middle of the night in St Vincent and St Lucia.
Old 19-09-2019, 07:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Palm island isnt the name of the little island approx 3nm from Tyrell, cant remember the name of hand.
Would you be talking about Frigate Island?

That's supposed to be nice.
Old 19-09-2019, 08:31   #11

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Whether a location is good or bad if you anchor depends on:

1. Can you anchor easily, anchor take a good set or is the mooring safe and accessible?
2. Are the wind, waves and swells favorable?
3. Is the anchorage reasonably safe from crime?
4. Is the anchorage too crowded where you wan to anchor or moor?
5. How far from shore are you mooring or anchoring?

Given these questions almost any anchorage in the Grenadines can be good or bad.

My least favorite anchorages in the Grenadines are anywhere in Canouan (crime and nothing to do unless you dock in the super yacht marina) and Clifton Bay in Union Islands (exposed to easterly winds and anchoring space not always readily available.

Good luck and enjoy.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 08:33   #12

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Well......Seeing how nobody seems to cruise the Grenadines, I will add a few nuggets to help get things going.

Tyrell Bay.....crowded, touristy and water quality is poor

Glossy Bay.....$200 bucks to tie up the dinghy and check in

Hillsborough.......Spotty holding, rolly and not that interesting

Clifton....sketchy town

Petite St Vincent.....small and nothing much to do

Palm Island.....super snobbish and unwelcoming

Hope that helps a little Saleen!!!!!.....Will try to dig up some more for ya as soon as I can!
Hollly Malloney , that of my bucket list then
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 08:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garychurch View Post
Whether a location is good or bad if you anchor depends on:

1. Can you anchor easily, anchor take a good set or is the mooring safe and accessible?
2. Are the wind, waves and swells favorable?
3. Is the anchorage reasonably safe from crime?
4. Is the anchorage too crowded where you wan to anchor or moor?
5. How far from shore are you mooring or anchoring?

Given these questions almost any anchorage in the Grenadines can be good or bad.

My least favorite anchorages in the Grenadines are anywhere in Canouan (crime and nothing to do unless you dock in the super yacht marina) and Clifton Bay in Union Islands (exposed to easterly winds and anchoring space not always readily available.

Good luck and enjoy.
Thank you Gary. I've not heard anything good about Canouan.
Old 19-09-2019, 08:34   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

My information is not fresh -- I was cruising there sometime in the 00's -- but FWIW:

Salt Whistle Bay was indeed crowded, but so lovely, it was worth it

Clifton was OK -- Caribbean towns are not meant to be beautiful -- but sometimes it's good to have access to a good market and other town amenities

Tobago Cays of course hardly needs any introduction -- it is indeed a magical as its reputation, but CROWDED

St. Vincent is a hole and worth getting away from ASAP.

We had lively sailing in boisterous conditions in the Bequia Strait.

Everywhere it was really hard (like impossible) to get rid of garbage.

Some marvelous natural beauty, epic snorkeling, but hard to get away from the crowds. In that regard very different from the Baltic, which I prefer.
Old 19-09-2019, 08:37   #15

Thumbs up Re: Grenadines: Places You Didn't Like and Why

I spent eight days in them 50 footer . All the islands were wonderful and anchorages were in their own way special. Lock your boat and dinging when gone and enjoy. All the places can be busy in the winter months. But so beautiful and so much to do like snorkeling and scuba who cares if a lot of cool boats to look at.
Like Joshua Slocum says “just go” , and don’t over analyze.

Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote