Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 11:06   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24 Ft. Mighty Merry Too
Greetings

Antique Sailor
I'm new to this forum so I want to say hello. I also have a question. I have recently published a book about my many years on boad my little vessel and I'm wondering if here is a way I can get it reviewed on this forum. I would appreciate answers and/or commnets. The book is THE MIGHTY MERRY TOO. It can be found on Welcome My interst is getting it reviewed.
Thanks
Mary, sailorm
sailorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 16:03   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mary,
I can't help you with your review unless I get the time but I can Welcome you aboard!! You might want to post under the Meets and Greets heading in the discussion groups.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 16:07   #3

we are thinking about purchasing a 35-38 ft carver...can we use the a/c when the boat is moving or do we have to use the generator?? how does this work?? i have asked the questions and have gotten different answers..
kingpin320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“Good Old Boat” magazine Book Reviews (2007 - 1998)
Good Old Boat: Book Reviews

“GOB” Book Search page, where they maintain a database of approximately 3000 books, and you can search by author, title or topics.
http://goodoldboat.com:8080/GOBWeb/GOBBooks

Karen Larson (Editor), or Mark Busta (Director of Circulation and Merchandise)
Good Old Boat: Contact us

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:45   #5

Thanks Gordon. I will follow up on that. I have a contact at Cruuising World and hopefully they will be doing a review and have sent review copies to Sail and water sailing">Blue Water Sailing but forgot about GOB.
When I sailed the Great Lakes, which I did quite a bit of, I was always going to get up to Thunder Bay but never quite made it. Weather prevented at the time I was most serious abouut it. Spent a lot of time in the 30,000 islands of Georgian Bay.
Best Regards,
Mary the Antique Sailor
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01   #6
DtM

Hi Mary,

If the book was here in Australia I would gladly review it for this forum and anywhere else you like.

Can you get me a copy in Australia?

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:09   #7

If there is a POD publisher in Australia I can get it to you. Can also get it to you via post but shipping costs are high. Sent it to Vanuatu, at a cost of $10. plur cost of book. That's the reason I show two choices for ordering on my web site; domestic and international.
Old 16-08-2007, 02:52   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Warnings and Cautions for Writers - Print on Demand (POD):
”Print on demand (POD) is the commonly-used term for the digital printing technology that allows a complete book to be printed and bound in a matter of minutes. POD technology makes it easy and cost-effective to produce books one or two at a time or in small lots, rather than in larger print runs of several hundred or several thousand ...”
Warnings and Cautions for Writers--Print on Demand

Old 16-08-2007, 07:56   #9

Warning to writers

Thanks for passing that on Gordon. I'm quite well aware of the various publishing methods out there. It has become an interesting world of late: there are multiple opportunities for authors in contrast to the days when a few big publishers controlled the whole shebang. Like any innovation there are pluses and minuses, scams and opportunities etc. MIGHTY MERRY TOO is not a POD. I have my inventory right here: 1/2 sold in three months. On the other hand when Amazon or Barnes and Noble take an order for it, what they sell is a POD even though if you go look at the moment they will say it is "in stock". They get away with that because the printer they are using is highly efficient. People would be amazed to learn just how many of the books they buy from these sources are PODs. The quality of paper and printing is hard to differentiate. My take is much smaller of course when they sell the book but it is probably a book sold that wouldn't be sold otherwise. I prefer when people buy from the web site or even contact me by other means but in general word of mouth improves the more books are sold.
Thanks again. I would expect your copy should be arriving any day now.
Mary
Old 16-08-2007, 14:33   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm confused, sailorm. I went to your blog and saw there an entry from yesterday which stated that you were boarded by the US Coast Guard some 400 miles offshore, enroute to Mexico. You include a stern view of a military vessel, but no additional information is supplied.

The source of my confusion is this: The vessel in the picture on your blog is the USS Lynde McCormick (DDG-8), a guided missile destroyer of the US Navy that was decommissioned 1 Oct 1991, and was used as a target ship and sunk, 14 Feb 2001, according to Wikipedia. Were you actually boarded by the US Navy, or are you stating that US Coast Guardsmen were being ferried about on a US Navy ship for the purpose of harassing sailors on small sailboats? Is the picture of the USS Lynde McCormick just a picture you found online and used to illustrate your "Coast Guard Boarding?"

I suppose you will tell me to buy your book, and all will become clear. Who knows, I may do that in the future, but for now could you shed a little light on just what occurred, and when?

TaoJones
Old 16-08-2007, 15:18   #11

Sailorm reply

Hello Tao,
Of course I would be happy if you were to buy my book but I will certainly anwer your query regardless. Yes, you have the name and history of the ship correctly and yes that was the ship that carried the Coast Gaurd to my vessel; I also have a picture of the boarding party in the book and description of the incident. I found a web page recently for the crew of the Lynne D McCormick (don't remember if I'm spelling that correctly) planning a reunion.
Thanks for visiting my blog and hope you will also visit the web site of merrypublishing even you don't buy the book; several pages to look at and get some ideas of what others think of it. Good reviews on Amazon also but they haven't been very reliable in shipping.
Any more questions will be happy to answer.
Mary, the Antique Sailor (at 76 years I really am an antique but a healthy one.)
Old 17-08-2007, 08:36   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mary:
“Mighty Mary Too” arrived this Am. I’ll read it this weekend.
Thanks & regards,
Gord

Old 04-09-2007, 18:01   #13

Greetings Gordon,
Have you had a chance to read MIGHTY MERRY TOO yet?
Mary, the Antique Sailor
Old 23-09-2007, 13:37   #14
DtM

Gordon,

Time for your review please.

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 14:39   #15

Hi Daniel,
Just wanted to say you are in one of our favorite harbors. Oh how we loved Sydney and Australia in general.
Mary the Antique Sailor.