Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 03:58   #46

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Greece's Loss Your Gain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Our news showed a document from Brussels advising Greece to 30% VAT . Did I read it wrong or is that true ?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Only in the US is VAT not levied... also one of the reasons why the USA debt is where it is. Canada has a type of VAT.

VAT is at 20 or 21% everywhere in EU. The reality of loads of government freeloaders.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:03   #47

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Our news showed a document from Brussels advising Greece to 30% VAT . Did I read it wrong or is that true ?

No, that's not true. Greece is trying to convince Brussels that there should be 30% lower VAT on certain islands. Brussels does not like the idea.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:06   #48

Quote:

VERY doubtful. The EU dictates the minimum and maximum VAT rate. The minimum is 10% or 15% and I know for certain the maximum is 25%. The 30% I think is the vat discount that the islands have been getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-07-2015, 10:35   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Go Greece. Stick it to the German Banks.

Merkel is trying to avoid realising the 80B debt (320B now). Shouldn't have lent it should they?

The Greeks need to devalue their currency. The Euro zone is only a monetary and not a fiduciary arrangement. A failed attempt to be just a little bit pregnant.

When are we going to make these bankers responsible?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yeh, the Greeks could devalue their currency if they bailed out of the Euro. Another way though might be to increase productivity and get into a habit of paying your taxes. Dropping 30% from your public purse might help and redirecting it to debt reduction.

It's not easy but other countries are managing to up productivity whilst under austerity. Just need to work harder which is not a preferred choice for Greeks. They would rather elect a radical left wing government and hope they can magic away the debt instead of reforming, getting their heads down and working responsibly and honourably to reduce their deficit.

The debt will not be allowed to disappear. If Greece shuns it's responsibility to pay back other nations taxpayers money lent to them they will find themselves quite isolated. They need to get back into the real world fast. Holiday was over a long time ago.

The public sector is 40% of GDP. Greece has plenty of fat left to trim of the bone if it wants. Drop the public spend by 10% and the debt is gone in 10 years if growth is added into to the mix. They are taking the piss with other nations money.
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:45   #50

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House

It is a real pity to read all the crap the people produce about Greece. It only shows that you have not understood the workings of the European Union and Monetary System, neither have you, like mr. Varoufakis, not read the legal framework of the Maastricht- and related treaties. Such a pity.
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 17:45   #51

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
More like Germany is the pusher and with Greece out of money, they are pushing Greece to prostitute themselves to get the money for the next hit.

If Germany wasn't benefitting, they would have let Greece go a few years ago.
Perhaps you could explain to us how germany is benefitting by being stiffed for billions of euros. Maybe if I understood how I could also benefit by buying those greek 10 year notes that are going for 15%.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 17:50   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskybeer View Post
It is a real pity to read all the crap the people produce about Greece. It only shows that you have not understood the workings of the European Union and Monetary System, neither have you, like mr. Varoufakis, not read the legal framework of the Maastricht- and related treaties. Such a pity.
The real pity is the people who THINK they understand the system. And worse, who think the "system" is set in stone.
Old 02-07-2015, 18:05   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
When are we going to make these bankers responsible?
The bankers are responsible. Its the Greek politicians that are irresponsible, like many politicians all over the world. Of course most of the Greek citizens went right along for the free ride.
Old 02-07-2015, 18:18   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Only in the US is VAT not levied... also one of the reasons why the USA debt is where it is. Canada has a type of VAT.

VAT is at 20 or 21% everywhere in EU. The reality of loads of government freeloaders.
All true. Except that the US debt has nothing to do with the lack of a VAT. VAT is simply another form of a tax, and could be replaced in any country at any time with any other form of a tax.

The US debt burden is the result of too much expense and too little income. Same as any other country with too much debt.
Old 02-07-2015, 18:33   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
It's not Germany that doesn't want to let Greece go. Greece itself wants to stay in the club, but doesn't want to comply with its bylaws.
I think Merkel sees Greece as the 40 year old son without a job and still living at home, trying to find a way to move him out. And I think Greece knows its that son and is desperately trying to find a way to stay at home.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:16   #56

OK now I read that Greece is in talks with BRICS? ???????

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece