Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 16:15   #91

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Re: Great Inexpensive Gizmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
How much power do they need and dont you have to use a special pot?
You can change the power setting. Max 2000 W, min 120 W. To cook a steak I start at 1000 for a short time then reduce to 300. A coffee is made in 2 minutes at 1800 W.

The pots have to have magnetic properties to work but they are very common. I have a Boaties Frying pan that I got in the UK for 20 quid and a pressure cooker that makes it the most efficient way to cook I can think of.

M
Old 09-05-2013, 16:34   #92
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
You can change the power setting. Max 2000 W, min 120 W. To cook a steak I start at 1000 for a short time then reduce to 300. A coffee is made in 2 minutes at 1800 W.

The pots have to have magnetic properties to work but they are very common. I have a Boaties Frying pan that I got in the UK for 20 quid and a pressure cooker that makes it the most efficient way to cook I can think of.

M

Mine is a "NuWave," and you can set the temperature in increments of 10ºF. I hadn't thought of combining it with my pressure cooker! I'll have to see if a magnet sticks to it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:41   #93

Induction hobs are indeed, in my opinion, a game changer, ashore for sure, and afloat I can well believe.

It's a common misapprehension that special pots are essential: many 'standard' pots will work, as quite a lot of even stainless pots are of magnetic grades. (ie, can be attracted by a magnet)

I've got a stainless frothing jug which will work on induction, and a stainless coffee plunger.

However that reminds me of a drawback with induction hobs, possibly a factor in a distractible environment like a boat: if it's on full, it's the easiest thing in the world to raise an item of cookware to red heat or higher, and it can happen very quickly if there's no liquid in it. You may not actually melt the item, but you may ruin it in a few seconds.

Aluminium cookware of course will not work on induction, unless it has embedded pellets of a magnetic material, like the wonderfully functional Boaties Frying Pan mentioned by Capn Morgan.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:50   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Mine is a "NuWave," and you can set the temperature in increments of 10ºF. I hadn't thought of combining it with my pressure cooker! I'll have to see if a magnet sticks to it.
Just try it on the cooking top. Either it will work or not. European ones nowadays tend to work as induction is popular there.

Here they are at work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coffee (1024x765).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	60606  
Old 09-05-2013, 16:58   #95
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Induction hobs are indeed, in my opinion, a game changer, ashore for sure, and afloat I can well believe.

It's a common misapprehension that special pots are essential: many 'standard' pots will work, as quite a lot of even stainless pots are of magnetic grades. (ie, can be attracted by a magnet)

I've got a stainless frothing jug which will work on induction, and a stainless coffee plunger.

However that reminds me of a drawback with induction hobs, possibly a factor in a distractible environment like a boat: if it's on full, it's the easiest thing in the world to raise an item of cookware to red heat or higher, and it can happen very quickly if there's no liquid in it. You may not actually melt the item, but you may ruin it in a few seconds.

Aluminium cookware of course will not work on induction, unless it has embedded pellets of a magnetic material, like the wonderfully functional Boaties Frying Pan mentioned by Capn Morgan.

It's really fast to heat, but the ... hub, did you call it? -- doesn't get hot, which really holds the heat down in the boat in the summertime.

So what's a "frothing pot?"
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:32   #96

Great thread Kettlewell. Thanks for starting it.
Old 09-05-2013, 19:48   #97

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
I got several induction cookers as in the first picture. About 30 bucks each. I cut them into components. I got my old gas stove onto the pontoon and cut it into bits but keeping the top and the gimbals. I installed 2 induction heaters side by side and kept the rest for spares. The old stove had packed up and spares were not available so something had to be done. This way I got rid of gas inside the boat and now I can cook powered by the inverter.
$30?! Do you mind sharing the source? The best I've seen is closer o $80.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:03   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
$30?! Do you mind sharing the source? The best I've seen is closer o $80.
SC
Giant Supermarket in Singapore. SGD 36 a pop to be precise. You can pay more if you want to buy more fancy ones.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:22   #99

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:

Giant Supermarket in Singapore. SGD 36 a pop to be precise. You can pay more if you want to buy more fancy ones.
Oh ok that explains the nice price ($29 USD). I keep looking at them here but can't quite justify it at $75+ USD for a basic unit.

Good to know though if I ever find a great deal.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:15   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Oh ok that explains the nice price ($29 USD). I keep looking at them here but can't quite justify it at $75+ USD for a basic unit.

Good to know though if I ever find a great deal.
SC
I just didn't want to spend a lot of money on things that I was going to cut up into bits and hope they were going to work. The plastic is really cheap and soft. I didn't expect them to work for very long but it's been a few months now and they keep going.

The most expensive ones are Panasonic at about 90 SGD but they are larger and I couldn't fit two side by side in that space. Nicer though.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:24   #101

Boat: Finnsailer 38

We have found silicone baking pans are great for the boat. Nothing sticks to them making cleanup very easy, and they don't rattle or break. We just leave ours stored in the oven when not in use. They are naturally nonskid. You can get them at WM and Target.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:02   #102
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Turkey baster
When you have to repair the toilet, how do you get the stuff out first? Any disassembly will dump liquids on the floor.

Just remember not to use it to actually baste the turkey after!

Butyl tape works better than museum putty for holding things in place. It also works fantastic as a temp seal for leaks. Put a small booger of butyl on the end of your screwdriver and it can hold a screw on while you try to get it started in the hole.

A 3' long part grabber. Has 4 small prongs, spring activated at the handle end for grabbing stuff in hard to reach places.

Clothespins, all plastic. But wood clothespins have good uses also. The soft wood makes good wedges or stir sticks like the popcicle sticks suggestion.

The dual suction cup grip works well underwater...but does sink! Put a piece of foam pipe insulation over the handle to provide flotation.

Extendable painters pole. Makes scrubbing the side of the boat easier. Can tape on other stuff for a long reach. And I attach my gopro camera for extended reach shots, cheap aerial photography.

Marriage Saver headsets. The name is exactly right.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:06   #103

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Clothespins, all plastic. But wood clothespins have good uses also. The soft wood makes good wedges or stir sticks like the popcicle sticks suggestion.
I like the wooden clothespins for actual hanging of clothes on the lifelines as the plastic ones disintegrate in the sun too quickly--wooden ones last for many years. Find good big ones with nice strong springs before you take off--they aren't always easy to locate. Carry spares for when the springs get rusty so you don't leave rust marks on your clothes.

Quote:
Marriage Saver headsets. The name is exactly right.
Prefer hand signals--simple, and cost free.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:27   #104

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post

Prefer hand signals--simple, and cost free.
We use the headsets when I am going up the mast. Really helps to be able to communicate with Ann on deck for hoisting instructions or parts/tool chasing without shouting my lungs out (and amusing/annoying all the other boats in the anchorage).

And we got our headsets at that great chandlery ToysRUs! 19.95$ for the pair, and they have lasted over 15 years on board.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-05-2013, 09:33   #105
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Hand signals are simple but sometimes comms are complex. The headsets work great and there's no misunderstandings resulting in undesired hand signals!
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote