Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45   #61

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Great Inexpensive Gizmos

The Sesame padlocks are nice, but you can Google up lots of information on how to open them. Maybe they have been improved, but I can recall some folks in boatyards who could open the old ones quickly even if they didn't know the combination.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:01   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The Sesame padlocks are nice, but you can Google up lots of information on how to open them. Maybe they have been improved, but I can recall some folks in boatyards who could open the old ones quickly even if they didn't know the combination.
Not surprising but you know I think that's the case with most locks. I've seen youtube videos on how to bust into most types of locks.

Just gets back to the old saying, locks are only good to keep out honest people. A determined thief will break through anything given enough time. Hopefully a Sesamee would at least slow them down a bit.

Do wish I knew the trick with a Sesamee because I've lost the combo to one in the past and played hell trying to get into it non-destructively. I tried opening by feel/touch and listening with no luck. Finally just sequentially went through the 10,000 different permutations of 4 digits.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13   #63

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Cheapo suction cup dent pullers work as well and as an added bonus they can be used as movable handholds when scrubbing the waterline of the boat.
Do these work under water? I would have thought suction cups work because air is compressible, but water is not.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:15   #64

I suspect one problem with the Sesame is the same as the problem with computer security: the most popular password is "password."
Old 02-05-2013, 14:50   #65

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post

Do these work under water? I would have thought suction cups work because air is compressible, but water is not.
I don't know although someone mentiond the drain plunger for transducer removal so it could work? I use mine when I'm running around the outside of the hull in my dinghy scrubbing the gunge off at the waterline. What I can say is that an approx 5 inch diameter cup can keep me pulled tight against the hull in a bit of a chop while I scrub away with the other hand, even when pulling with a fair bit of force.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 14:55   #66

Cool the plunger transducer cover - now to a different idea.

As Seen On TV Pocket Hose : Target

$20.00. No more coiling hose thus to mix/tangle with shore power cords, spare anchor chain/rode when on cruise.

Chas
Nor'Sea 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 15:09   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I suspect one problem with the Sesame is the same as the problem with computer security: the most popular password is "password."
Interesting list. Several entries there I would not have thought of as common passwords. A long time ago I thought I was really clever by using drowssap but discovered to my great surprise I was not the first to think of that.

One of my engineering profs used the names of Hungarian poets from the middle ages. Too obscure and way too many consonants for any program to figure out.

I googled how to crack a Sesamee lock and what I found it isn't rocket science but would take a bit of fiddling.

I do know enough to avoid trivial combos like 0000 or 1234 or even 4321. I try to pick years from history like 1215, 0732 or even easy ones like 1812, guessing most crooks didn't pay much attention in school.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 15:35   #68

The thing about crooks is that the good ones know how to quickly defeat anything you use to lock your boat up, and the bad ones are likely to do more damage to your boat trying to break in than they would if you just let them in. Locks only prevent the casual visitor or person who might be tempted, but not real thieves. I've worked in boatyards before, and looked at lots of boats for sale, and you would be surprised about how many aren't locked at all, so anything puts you in the 25% most secure category.
Old 02-05-2013, 15:43   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Suction cups doesn't work because of air being compressible. They work because you have friction working against the form shape of the cup (the hollow shape that it wants to pop back into), thereby creating a vacuum. That vacuum will in turn create even more friction and thus we have really strong suction cups.
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 17:58   #70

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
Suction cups doesn't work because of air being compressible. They work because you have friction working against the form shape of the cup (the hollow shape that it wants to pop back into), thereby creating a vacuum. That vacuum will in turn create even more friction and thus we have really strong suction cups.
OK, but do they work underwater. I don't think you can make a vacuum in water - at least not with a handheld rubber thingy.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:11   #71

Boat: Seafarer36c

They do work. I used one for a few months until I lost it. It partly depends on where you stick them and unfortunatly they sink. So if you stick it in the wrong place or if it does not stick well. you loose it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:24   #72

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

The versatile Toothpick. Always finding the odd use for them.
Old 02-05-2013, 18:26   #73

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
A paint brush gaffa taped to a 6 inch stick - for cleaning up in hard to reach places. and also for "not so hard to reach but still too small / awkward big for a normal brush" places .
I use a toilet brush. Great up in corners of lockers, and the under rim scrubber works great under hatches
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:33   #74

Boat: Hunter 25.5
I would have to say its my bore scope. 6 foot lead with a lighted cam on the end can get into very tight places for a look see. Finding part numbers, serial numbers, lost hardware, fishing wires, and some stuff you wish you didn't see lol.
WrenchBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:48   #75

Self amalgamating electrical tape, about which I just wrote an essay in praise of, at

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1226148
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote