Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-05-2013, 21:33   #106

Boat: Van De Stadt "Helena" 38
Re: Great Inexpensive Gizmos

This post full of great ideas to ponder and purchase. I like the marriage saver headset option.
My latest not so inexpensive loves (but compared to what when owning a boat) are 1. double halyard for ease of hoisting the mainsail 2. replacement LED bulbs for the energy sucking halogens and incandescents.

Old 10-05-2013, 23:57   #107

Hand signals get my vote.

I realise that most members consider that the main purpose of this forum is to encourage others to join them in buying stuff, but the topic of this thread includes "inexpensive" as well as "gizmos".

Inexpensive unnecessary stuff, when it comes to electronics, can infest a boat almost as comprehensively as cockroaches, if we let it gain a foothold.

And in the marine environment, the words "inexpensive, electronic, and reliable"
seem to me pretty much a "pick any two" proposition....

Hand signals work regardless of wind strength, or battery state of charge. Cheap microphones are almost useless with 30 knots blowing across them, and expensive ones still have limitations in strong winds.

- - - -

Another thing:

Anchoring is occasionally a last-ditch, single chance response to an emergency: say your engine stops when you're passing on the upwind side of a wicked reef...

You don't have to race below and hunt around the saloon for hand signals, they're always close to hand.

What's more, they foster a degree of focus, and thinking carefully about what you want to communicate, which go well with anchoring, to my mind.

- - - -

I had to anchor once in a semi-emergency, when we wrapped a rope around the prop in storm force winds, with a shipping channel directly to leeward and a small boy as my only crew.

I devised a system of hand signals on the spot which he understood and followed to perfection: it was better than having an adult, because my signals were totally prescriptive, and it meant he did exactly what I'd ave done if I had been able to be in both places at once.

He didn't have to understand or agree, just "do"....

My signals were simply arm positions: if in the horizontal plane, it told him where to put the tiller; in the vertical plane, it told him where to put the engine control. In both cases, until further notice.

Headsets, no matter how clear the audio, would have been no use at all.

Many if not most adults would consider this degree of spoonfeeding to be insulting... and with some justification, but that's another story.

Old 11-05-2013, 00:11   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Are those legal in the S. Pac?

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 00:45   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Just try it on the cooking top. Either it will work or not. European ones nowadays tend to work as induction is popular there.

Here they are at work.
Are these multi-voltage or ordered for the location?

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:08   #110

Boat: Cruisers Rogue 2870

A couple of simple household things that I'll never leave land without: zip ties and adhesive backed velcro.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:39   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

You need hand signals as back up, but nothing beats voice comunication.
In a poorly mapped anchorage, like many I go into, you need someone up at the bow.
There is no hand signal for
"Can you see the snorkler just behind the blue boat"

The person up at the bow has the view of the bottom condition and also tends to get a better visual perspective of the position of other boats and shore line. The person at the helm has access to instruments -depth, radar, chartplotter, pilot book,map. So ideally the decision where to anchor should be made by both parties.

Voice comunication allows the options to discussed.

Ok the thread is about cheap gizmos not anchoring techniques, but this is my solution.

There are lots of serviceable H/H VHF radios that have a worn out battery packs.
You can rebuld the battery pack, but a good solution is as shown.

The VHF can be adapted to run of 12v and a 12v feed taken from the anchor winch controls. Providing you have a VHF at the helm you have great comunication between the bow and helm. It also gives you an emergancy, spare VHF.

Be mindful of cluttering up the airways. On low power, once inside an anchorage, with a working channel, you are not likely to be bothering other boats. However use some common sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B0E80C2-032F-4958-913C-820E5B025ACB-4600-0000079EDB3144C9.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	60644  
Old 11-05-2013, 01:54   #112

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is another chap gizmo

A wireless anchor winch control is handy.

These are available from ebay at a very low price (about $25 for one with 2 hand controllers) and work fine with marine anchor winches.
They are cheap Chinese junk, so don't expect too much, but as long as its a backup control, they are a good option to have.

Mine has been going for a couple of years without any problems. The only slight inconvenience is a short push of button retrieves a minimium of 18 inches of chain, which is too coarse to "park" the anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	60645  
Old 11-05-2013, 02:35   #113
Armchair Bucketeer

Whilst firmly in the do whatever works for you camp - nonetheless I prefer hand signals combined with verbal communication, in a non electronic form. Acheived not by shouting!, but simply by deck crew walking back to the helm - both as needed and occassionally as reassurance, for the helm!

Obviously for those with very large boats or don't have use of legs that might be a problem, but very rare will be the occassion where a few seconds of delay will make any great difference - certainly none that someone standing on the bow can actually do anything about. If yer find that the crew is constantly running up and down the deck it simply means that the helm needs practice, and likely to slow down / use own eyes.....or to swap roles!

Also useful not to send the deck crew up too early, on the sidedeck next to the helm so can communicate / discuss plan works well - and can wander up to the foredeck if the mood takes / as neccessary.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:49   #114
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHawk View Post
This post full of great ideas to ponder and purchase. I like the marriage saver headset option.
My latest not so inexpensive loves (but compared to what when owning a boat) are 1. double halyard for ease of hoisting the mainsail 2. replacement LED bulbs for the energy sucking halogens and incandescents.

How does that work? I've never heard of a double halyard.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:59   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
How does that work? I've never heard of a double halyard.
You double the length of line and on the pulley principal the force to pull up the main is halved (ignoring frictional losses), but you have to pull up twice the line.

It can be useful, we have got such a system on our spinnaker/gennaker halyard, but on many boats its easier to use a winch, which multiplies the pulling power without more line.

It is most useful where a the force is bit too much on its own, but using a winch would be overkill and slow. The same principal can be used on outhauls, reefing lines etc. Many boats use the same system on their mainsheet, but with more blocks for a higher gain.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2013, 03:23   #116
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
You double the length of line and on the pulley principal the force to pull up the main is halved (ignoring frictional losses), but you have to pull up twice the line.

It can be useful, we have got such a system on our spinnaker/gennaker halyard, but on many boats its easier to use a winch, which multiplies the pulling power without more line.

It is most useful where a the force is bit too much on its own, but using a winch would be overkill and slow. The same principal can be used on outhauls, reefing lines etc. Many boats use the same system on their mainsheet, but with more blocks for a higher gain.

Oh OK. I have blocks on most lines but a winch on the halyard.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:20   #117
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I love the idea that in order to prove my method is better than yours, I must insult and belittle you. Nice
Old 11-05-2013, 05:53   #118
Head in a locker

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
I love the idea that in order to prove my method is better than yours, I must insult and belittle you. Nice
Why pursue greatness by elevating all others around you when one can simple stand out by pushing all one's peers down?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:34   #119

Boat: Lagoon 420

A good quality multi-meter for electrical trouble shooting. And I don't have one, but a clip on ammeter to go with it. Would have to shop around so it falls in the inexpensive catagory.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:55   #120

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I do not see any belittling in any response since your last one--just people stating their preferences and what they do on their boats. It is you who is taking it personally.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: