Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50   #76

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Great Inexpensive Gizmos

LOVE our black and decker rechargeable hand vac!!! Found it on clearance for $29.00 2 years ago and it is a life saver for cleaning up !!!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:10   #77
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Erwin View Post
Cool the plunger transducer cover - now to a different idea.

As Seen On TV Pocket Hose : Target

$20.00. No more coiling hose thus to mix/tangle with shore power cords, spare anchor chain/rode when on cruise.

Chas

I got one of those but it fell apart on the third use. I thought it was going to be terrific, but it was shoddily made.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:48   #78

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I got one of those but it fell apart on the third use. I thought it was going to be terrific, but it was shoddily made.
They had those everywhere at the last boat show I went to, now CVS and Walgreens sell em, I love my old Toro roll up hose on a reel deal, it was $10. at a garage sale and has lasted forever! very durable and compact.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:27   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
For a great syphon just use two hoses and a rag.

Put a long hose in the jerry can to the water/fuel tank. Now put in a short (6 inch) bit of hose( it does not need to reach the reach the liquid) into the jerry can as well, block the remaining opening with a rag, or just your hand.
Blow (not suck) into the short bit of hose.
The pressure in the jerry can will force the liquid out int the tank. Once the syphon starts it will continue without any further effort.

The only limitation is it needs to closed container, not an open bowl.

The advantage over the juggler siphons is there is it will work even if there is small depth of liquid. There is also nothing to gum up, or buy, any old bit of hose will work.
Great tip Noelex! I can't wait to try it when transferring drinking water from my 6 gallon jugs to smaller pitchers. Hopefully I won't have to move those heavy jugs around anymore just to pour the water out into the smaller pitchers.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:11   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
OK, but do they work underwater. I don't think you can make a vacuum in water - at least not with a handheld rubber thingy.
Yes you can.

It's the suction provided by the form shape while it attempts to get back to its original shape, or in the case of those "mechanical" suction cups, there is a flip handle to put a big force into pulling it into a cup shape. And as such, those things needs more friction to work against the suction provided, so the area providing the friction tend to be softer and wider.

And as for losing it: put a string on it, if need be.
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:17   #81

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

I got several induction cookers as in the first picture. About 30 bucks each. I cut them into components. I got my old gas stove onto the pontoon and cut it into bits but keeping the top and the gimbals. I installed 2 induction heaters side by side and kept the rest for spares. The old stove had packed up and spares were not available so something had to be done. This way I got rid of gas inside the boat and now I can cook powered by the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	induction cooker (765x1024).jpg
Views:	426
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	60566   Click image for larger version

Name:	New galley 2 (1024x765).jpg
Views:	209
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	60567  

Old 09-05-2013, 07:04   #82
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Self amalgamating electrical tape, about which I just wrote an essay in praise of, at

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1226148
No mention of it being an important part of the first aid kit - at least it is in mine ........especially for fingers. the trick is not to wrap too tight - I share my learning curve .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:27   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
I got several induction cookers as in the first picture. About 30 bucks each. I cut them into components. I got my old gas stove onto the pontoon and cut it into bits but keeping the top and the gimbals. I installed 2 induction heaters side by side and kept the rest for spares. The old stove had packed up and spares were not available so something had to be done. This way I got rid of gas inside the boat and now I can cook powered by the inverter.

I wish I had the skills to do that! I use induction cooktop in the marina but not when sailing. That's the best way to cook I've ever had.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:46   #84

Boat: Bombay PH 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
How much power do they need and dont you have to use a special pot?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:48   #85

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Infrared video camera for the computer. Allows me to check the stuffing box on the laptop so I don't have to tear lazerette apart to see it. Inexpensive just have to shop under $30.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13   #86

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Something similar is a laser temperature sensor. Just point at hot things so you don't have to touch 'em to clue in.

I find many uses around a boat, particularly in verifying the output of heat guns and solder irons, which leads to less charring and wastage with electrical work. It also helps with the engine, particularly with routing the wiring harness to stand away from hot spots or to figure out the relationship between the raw water temperatures, your thermostat, and exhaust temps. I think I got this one bundled with a stud finder (not as useful aboard...) for $20 on sale at CT.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:17   #87

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Popsicle sticks -- available from hobby/craft shops for very little money. Good for mixing stuff and lots of other jobs. Tongue depressors for bigger jobs...

Not sure what you call the stuff, but it is kinda lacy looking material covered with very tacky rubber. Great non-slip material. We use it for cupboard liners, cover the saloon table with it (laptop stays put even at big heel angles, plates stay put, etc), put a strip on towel bars and towels stay put. In Oz it is very inexpensive when purchased by the yard from Bunnings (a Home Depot clone).

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Tell us about your favorite inexpensive gizmo that has changed your life onboard! I'll start with the Super Siphon. I got sick of fueling my feet, the dinghy, the dock, and the deck of my boat due to the cruel jokes they call fuel jugs these days--I picture the crew at the fuel jug factory sitting around telling sick jokes about all us saps using their products that make it harder to put fuel into your tank than on the ground. So I asked around some of the car forums and the Super Siphon kept coming up. Bought two from Amazon and boy are they slick. Work like a charm. No more spilled fuel and I don't have to balance an awkwardly heavy fuel jug while trying to pour into the tank while watching the rising level so I don't flood the dinghy. I don't know how I have lived without these for years. I just make sure the jug is a bit higher than what I want to fill. Put the brass thingy into your fuel jug and shake it up and down for a few seconds and pretty soon the fuel starts to flow lickety split at just about the right speed. It is easy to stop the flow at just the right moment by simply lifting the brass thingy above the fuel level in the jug. Easy peasy.
My gizmo is similiar. I found a 2 D cell powered pump, that is designed to be placed in a jerry can to pump out liquids at Home Depot for about $15.

It makes transferring diesel from jerry tanks into my sailboat so easy it actually is almost fun to do it. I get about six months out of one before it quits, and I just go buy another one. I took four of them with me to the Bahamas last time I went, (gave away one, and still had one unopened when I got back).

It makes it really easy to run the diesel through a funnel filter as you put it in.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:09   #89
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
How much power do they need and dont you have to use a special pot?

Any pot a magnet will cling to the bottom of will work. OR, it comes with a metal disk you put on the cooktop, and it gets hot and transfers the heat to whatever you put on top of it. Mine came with a fantastic grilling rack thet cooks steaks stupendously.

Here's the one I recommend:

NuWave PIC - Precision Induction Cooktop - Seen on TV | NuWavePIC.com

I bought a cheaper one first, but this one is really superior.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:32   #90

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Colemj, you wrote, "We have one of these, and although the number wheels stand proud and are tactile in the dark, how do you know what number they are on without a light?"

Leave it set on all 0's, then count the "clicks" to get to the numbers you've set.

A