Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 10:04   #1

Boat: Comet 41s
Great boat at a great price

I see lots of complaints about the boats on the market regarding not being solidly built regarding being built more for being at the marina or anchor than to sailing regarding being expensive regarding not having an offshore potential or a good cruising interior.

Well, for me this one ticks all the boxes and they are offering a big discount on the first 5 boats so if you are looking for a 38ft boat maybe you should have a look at this new one (Salona 380).

You can find for this price production boats with bigger and eventually nicer interiors but nothing that will sail so well neither something that is as solidly built.

You can have some information on the Salona site but more on my blog in a recent and older post.

Salona Yachts

Tell me what you think. I love it but I would like to hear other opinions.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 10:18   #2

Re: Great boat at a great price

Well, that is kind of a sad answer, I mean no replies probably means that nobody finds this boat really interesting.

Probably it also means that in what regards cruising cruisers are more interested in having the biggest interior they can afford than in having a sailing boat with a very good sailing performance and a good cruising interior. Well I guess the biggest mass production brands discovered that many years ago

For me, more than going fast what is more important in this sailboat is the ability to SAIL when almost all sailboats will be motoring and sailing is what we like. Right?

The Previous Salona 38 was faster than the wind with less than 6K wind, at 6K went almost at the wind speed, with 8k wind could make 7K. This one is going to be slightly faster.

Nobody finds this amaizing on an inexpensive well built boat with a good cruising interior? Nobody finds this boat really interesting?
Old 29-07-2015, 11:17   #3

Boat: TBD

Having mostly been a lurker on this forum, it appears to me that people mostly only reply to disagree. Based on that, everyone LOVES it.
Old 29-07-2015, 11:24   #4

I like it. Lots of interior ideas for my big fat slow rolly polly Schucker rebuild.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 11:53   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

POLUX,

It is a nice looking boat. After looking at hundreds of "DARK" cave like monos recently, I find the 'light and white' interior (salon or saloon) your boat example shows to be refreshing and bright.

I know many sailors on this forum do not like that kind of interior. But, I tend to prefer the classic "Herreschoff" look anyway (mostly white panels and bulkheads in a salon or stateroom).

The sailing numbers you quoted are impressive. Seems like a slippery/fast boat.

And, the hull shape (wide stern) no longer bothers me.

What do I not like?
I look at the helm position. I assume that the helmsman on this boat is always standing, and looks a bit removed from the crew. I do see a small bit of side deck back beside the wheels, so I suppose that is the ONE place he can sit. Of course while cruising they probably have the autopilot on.

I also would prefer to see some kind of bulkhead/coaming behind the helmsman.

The fashions/styles/designs change. This is new. I will try to get used to it.

If someone gives me the boat, I will get used to it instantly.

As always, THANK YOU for posting the photos in this forum, so we can see them. And THANK YOU for adding some info about these newer boats. I am sure I am not the only one here who learns about them primarily because you bring them into the discussion.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 12:25   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The set up around the helm kills it for me....
Old 29-07-2015, 12:30   #7

and also... Salona Yachts any boat that needs crew to hang their legs over the side is not a "blue water" cruising boat... bay racer maybe but not a cruising boat.

Did I mention the open transom?
Old 29-07-2015, 12:42   #8

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
and also... Salona Yachts any boat that needs crew to hang their legs over the side is not a "blue water" cruising boat... bay racer maybe but not a cruising boat.

Open transoms are great on a cruising boat...

K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 12:43   #9
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

What is the price?
I like the layout, it is very similar to our 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser and it has been very comfortable.
The Salona having fewer opening ports.
Do you think it will make 15 knots ground speed in 15 knots wind?
I am pleased with our Bavaria in light wind, although I don't have a gennaker or spinnaker yet. We do about 6 knots off the wind with about 10-12 knots true wind speed in flat water.
Also I have compared our boat with larger Bavarias and IMO it looks to me that the smaller boats are built better in general (stronger). Looks like the same bulkhead to hull lay-ups as the bigger boats. With the proportinate loads being much higher in the larger boats.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 12:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post

Really? How so?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010047_1.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	106303  
Old 29-07-2015, 13:08   #11

So had a peak at your new heart throb...

Nice looking boat that brings back the racer/cruiser concept from the 80"s except even much better in every way.

Likes and there were many..

The layout Plan A is just about perfect for a private owner who wants to cruise a bit as well as race. Very good use of the space...much better than curvy seating areas seen on typical Bendy type layouts. Good handholds and proper protection in front of the stove are good signs that the builder is not cutting every dime out of the build. I like the fact that the design is not taken to the extremes with beam carried right to the back giving you the new piece of pie shaped boat, nice lines.
I like the rig and it certainly has the sail area for excellent light air sailing, no excuse for motoring in this boat. The polars show boat speeds normally associated with much larger boats so expect very quick passage times.

Not so crazy about...The storage is typical for a racer/cruiser; so great for short passages and summer holidays but light for long term cruising, still much better than your typical X-Yacht. Tankage is a bit light. Ventilation below would be a challenge in the tropics. The dodger bimini combo would also be a challenge with the mainsheet located in the aft part of the cockpit but of course its the perfect place if you are racing...compromises!!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 13:19   #12

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post

Sea lion poop less so.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 13:40   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Sea lion poop less so.

goat

This boat would likely be the MOST popular with the Sea Lions at Pier 39 docks in San Francisco.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pier 39 Sea Lions.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	106304  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 13:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

What do I not like?
I look at the helm position. I assume that the helmsman on this boat is always standing, and looks a bit removed from the crew. I do see a small bit of side deck back beside the wheels, so I suppose that is the ONE place he can sit. Of course while cruising they probably have the autopilot on.

I also would prefer to see some kind of bulkhead/coaming behind the helmsman.

thanks for the nice words

No, the helming position, like on my boat is seated on the side on the upper side of the boat. My boat has a huge whelm to allow that. This one has two smaller wheels to allow that.

And this boat as has a closed cockpit, at least an option for that:

Old 29-07-2015, 14:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

As I have said there is an option for a closed transom and why do you say that the boat needs a crew hanging out? Any sailboat while racing will go faster with the crew out here, even huge beamy 100ft Comanche but this boat has a great stability, bigger than normal cruising boats (like any real performance boat).

Stability is power and performance boats need the extra stability to go faster but in bad weather that extra stability is also an added safety since on this kind of relatively narrow boats (by modern standards) to that extra stability corresponds also a bigger B/D ratio (or a more efficient keel with deep draft) and a bigger reserve stability.

Tags
price