Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2015, 15:20   #16
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
What is the price?
...
Do you think it will make 15 knots ground speed in 15 knots wind?
....
No cruising boat makes 15K speed with 15k winds unless it is sailing over a 6K favorable current With 16K wind downwind this boat can do very close to 9K on flat water, more if it is surfing waves.

There are many versions and they did not yet said publicly the price but I would say it would not be far from an Oceanis 38 equipped with the same equipment.

But for the ones that want a really good deal regarding prices/quality, buy the Salona 38 (the actual model) that they are still making and calling it classic.

I bought one for a friend (on Dusseldorf boat show) and with equipment it costed 150 000 euros including VAT. They are offering 25% on the boat price and 50% over packs of extras.
__________________

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 15:29   #17
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,960
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
As I have said there is an option for a closed transom and why do you say that the boat needs a crew hanging out? Any sailboat while racing will go faster with the crew out here, even huge Comanche but this boat has a great stability, bigger than normal cruising boats (like any real performance boat).

Stability is power and performance boats need the extra stability to go faster but in bad weather that extra stability is also an added safety since on this kind of relatively narrow boats (by modern standards) to that extra stability corresponds also a bigger B/D ratio (or a more efficient keel with deep draft) and a bigger reserve stability.
I say that because their advertising blurb shows it sailing around on its ear with people hanging their legs over the side.

Thank you for the lecture on stability, power and B/D ratios.

Another thing I don't like is the mainsheet traveller on the cockpit sole. That would grow very old, very quickly offshore when sailing downhill under storm sails with no mainsail. In those conditions its very nice to be able to tame the boom with 'runner and guy' on a short scope.

It may be built like a brick outhouse... doesn't make it a good offshore passage maker. You like it... thats good..... I don't.
__________________

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 15:31   #18
Registered User
 
xeon_tsd's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: "Out There" (mailing Austin TX)
Boat: Lafitte 44
Posts: 419
Re: Great boat at a great price

I was looking at the 38 not the 380...

Salona Yachts
is a better link to show people.
__________________
hopefully I will keep this updated.... http://svchapaai.com
xeon_tsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 22:42   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,242
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Sea lion poop less so.
So open transoms are not so suiteable for a dock queen then.
__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 22:43   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,242
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Really? How so?
Man over board recovery, for one thing.

Or just plain getting in and out of the dinghy. Swimming...
__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 23:11   #21
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,960
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Man over board recovery, for one thing.

Or just plain getting in and out of the dinghy. Swimming...
I think the stern would be the very worst place to try and recover a MOB in a seaway....you would either feed their legs into the prop or crack their skull open.

Swimming? Dinghy? Not passage making requirements.

Is it just me or does that boat's interior - with all its hard corners - look IKEA inspired?
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 23:15   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wherever the wind takes me
Boat: Bristol 41.1
Posts: 809
Re: Great boat at a great price

Not a fan of fat-a**ed boats. There is a reason for hull symmetry.

The plumb stem concerns me, whether or not it has enough flare to keep the foredeck dry, as well as buoyancy to keep the bow from "submarineing".

Down below I am fine with the light finishes but I noticed right off the lack of overhead handrails and the number of sharp 90 degree angles on the furnishings. Plus the general lack of ventilation.

I didn't find any info on tankage. Nor much detail on construction.

That's just my opinion, no more valid than the next guy.

Do you have a financial relationship with Solana? And I don't mean that to be pejorative.
__________________
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 23:30   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,242
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I think the stern would be the very worst place to try and recover a MOB in a seaway....you would either feed their legs into the prop or crack their skull open.
I have however heard it argued that an open transom makes recovering a MOB easier. Never had to recover an MOB though.

Quote:
Swimming? Dinghy? Not passage making requirements.
Boats spend a lot more time at anchor or in harbors than making passages.


Quote:
Is it just me or does that boat's interior - with all its hard corners - look IKEA inspired?
Given how successful IKEA is this is not a surprise :-). I like light and modern. I would have preferred slightly more rounded corners though.

The Salona 380 will however be mostly sold to people who race on weekends, and spend a few weeks each year coast hopping. For that the interior works.
__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 00:56   #24
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I say that because their advertising blurb shows it sailing around on its ear with people hanging their legs over the side.

Thank you for the lecture on stability, power and B/D ratios.

Another thing I don't like is the mainsheet traveller on the cockpit sole. That would grow very old, very quickly offshore when sailing downhill under storm sails with no mainsail. In those conditions its very nice to be able to tame the boom with 'runner and guy' on a short scope.

It may be built like a brick outhouse... doesn't make it a good offshore passage maker. You like it... thats good..... I don't.....

Swimming? Dinghy? Not passage making requirements.
You are looking to the wrong boat (Salona 38 instead of 380). The best place to get information about the new boat is my blog. Yes on the Salona site regarding the older model they have photos of the boat on racing configuration as well as photos with the boat being sailed with a short crew.

I guess that they have put that photo with the racing configuration on top because they were proud that one of the best sailor on the world had showed curiosity about the boat and made a test sail. The one that is skippering that racing crew is no other than Dean Barker that almost won the America's cup to NZ.

Regarding the main-sheet I would much rather have it there near my hand when I am at the wheel but for the ones that want a really big bimini or want the traveller forward they can mount it over the cockpit (as on the previous boat).

Why without knowing the boat you assume it will not be a very good offshore boat? I sailed the previous model and also the Salona 41 and can tell you that they are very good offshore boats. That was also the opinion of the chief tester of the biggest European sail magazine that tested the previous model under dificult conditions and was surprised how well the boat cooped with them.

Neue Salona 38 im SchwerwettertestÂ*|Â*YACHT.DE

Besides you have this strange idea that an all purpose cruising boat should be maximized for passage making and that is odd because a cruising boat will be passing very few time making passages and a lot of time on the cruising grounds, sailing from Island to Island. You cannot have it maximized the two ways and a good compromise is what the designers look for.

For you a good cruising sailing boat is a no compromise maximized passage maker. That would only makes sense if you sail non stop around the world. I would not call that cruising.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 01:11   #25
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Not a fan of fat-a**ed boats. There is a reason for hull symmetry.

The plumb stem concerns me, whether or not it has enough flare to keep the foredeck dry, as well as buoyancy to keep the bow from "submarineing".

Down below I am fine with the light finishes but I noticed right off the lack of overhead handrails and the number of sharp 90 degree angles on the furnishings. Plus the general lack of ventilation.

I didn't find any info on tankage. Nor much detail on construction.

That's just my opinion, no more valid than the next guy.

Do you have a financial relationship with Solana? And I don't mean that to be pejorative.
It is Salona. No not any commercial relation.

Regarding building between the older model and new one you have plenty information that you can find on my blog. Things that make it unique at this price range regarding building:

Vinylester resins and infusion on a cored hull, stainless steel structure to take the keel and shroud loads, carbon reinforcements on the stressed parts of the hull, watertight bulkheads at the bow and on the transom, behind the rudder. On this one you can have a huge problem on the rudder, even crack the hull at that place that you will not go down. Very rare even among expensive boats.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 01:17   #26
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Great boat at a great price

In defense of the helm, the Manufacturer most likely has a fold down seat for the helmsman when needed, or one can easily be added. 99% of the time, modern boats sail via auto pilot... Not with a helmsman behind the wheel.
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 01:21   #27
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I think the stern would be the very worst place to try and recover a MOB in a seaway....you would either feed their legs into the prop or crack their skull open.?
Having done an emergency MOB recovery, the sugar scoop stern on my Hunter 450 was the best place to bring the MOB aboard. The transmission should be in neutral or engine turned off at the time.
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 01:30   #28
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Having done an emergency MOB recovery, the sugar scoop stern on my Hunter 450 was the best place to bring the MOB aboard. The transmission should be in neutral or engine turned off at the time.
I think that is no doubt about that. To pull a guy up from the side of the boat it is neede a lot of guys and some have died while the crew was trying to recover them that way.

A fixed self deployed stair on the stern is also a big plus. The investigation of a recent tragic accident in Germany, where they tried to recover the guy over the side and finally managed by the stern, but too late, lead to RCD alterations. Self deploying stairs on the stern are now among the requirements even if the law will only be mandatory next year (or the year after?).
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 04:35   #29
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I think that is no doubt about that. To pull a guy up from the side of the boat it is neede a lot of guys and some have died while the crew was trying to recover them that way.

A fixed self deployed stair on the stern is also a big plus. The investigation of a recent tragic accident in Germany, where they tried to recover the guy over the side and finally managed by the stern, but too late, lead to RCD alterations. Self deploying stairs on the stern are now among the requirements even if the law will only be mandatory next year (or the year after?).
It just boggles the mind when some folks cling to old, antiquated recovery methods or boat designs when increased safety has been built into more contemporary models.

Seems like a sugar scoop with a self deploying swim ladder or open transom should be on everyone's lists of "must haves." Who can seriously argue that craning a MOB from the side of the boat is superior to having the guy walk up boarding steps. Again... It boggles the mind??
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 11:35   #30
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: Great boat at a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
....

The Salona 380 will however be mostly sold to people who race on weekends, and spend a few weeks each year coast hopping. For that the interior works.
Probably the target sailors will be the same as on the Salona 38 and regarding that one they sold a lot more boats to cruisers that like to sail than to guys that race on week ends and cruise some weeks with the family.

They have basically 3 boat setups that are however interchangeable: Cruising, cruising- racing (the program you refer) and racing- cruising meaning by this top spec boats able to win championships. This ones will be used rarely for cruising.

The last ones are the ones sold in smaller number. The prices are also different being the cruising version the less expensive and a top spec boat much more expensive than a cruiser-racer. They top spec boats have carbon rigs, lots of carbon pieces and bulkheads made with a new material that mixes minerals with carbon as well as special designed keels adapted to each rating (ORC or IRC).
__________________

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
price

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boat Buying - Listed price vs Final Price breezydays Boat Ownership & Making a Living 39 07-03-2015 19:02
Asking Price vs Selling Price - Caribbean Cats? TCoach Multihull Sailboats 177 18-10-2009 07:36
Listed Price on New Boats vs Sold Price joshw5144 Dollars & Cents 27 11-02-2009 08:14
Typical offering price vs. asking price? elf Monohull Sailboats 11 08-08-2007 04:51



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.