Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 06:03   #1

GPS & Sandpaper

Yesterday was a "GPS" evaluation day on our 27' Ericson. I brought two GPS's to evaluate alongside our existing one. Our neighbor was sanding his rails. He came over and wanted to look at the 12 inch Raymarine unit. (yes, too big for our boat) As he picked up the Raymarine GPS, I heard a "scratchy" sound, then noticed that he had the sandpaper in his left hand, and it was against the screen!

His response was even more interesting than the event itself. I showed him a light scratch on the screen, and he didn't think his sandpaper caused it. There was no remorse, no apology, no offer to "make it right". I was LIVID.

Since we're going to be neighbors all summer, I contained my fury, but I find his behavior and indifference to the damage he caused unbelievable. The 12 inch Raymarine was used and worth about $1000. He was not new to sailing or GPS's, and had had his slip for quite a few years. My wife, after many years of benign indifference to sailing, is finally getting enthusiastic about "going down to the boat" and yesterday asked me to show her how to use rubbing compound and wax to make the topsides look better!!! I don't want to spend a summer next door to someone with whom I'm at war, and am willing to let the light scratch go. But I just HAD to share this story. My opinion of my fellow man is declining annually.
tanksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 06:14   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: GPS & Sandpaper

Bummer. The guy is a moron.

When people ask me about living on a boat, I say "the best part is that if I don't like my neighbors, I can move and I don't have to sell my house!"
Old 23-05-2011, 06:15   #3

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

What an idiot!

Unless . . . maybe your kind, helpful neighbor was trying to remove that annoying shiny glare from the screen and give it a nice matte finish?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 06:26   #4

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

you can try polishing out the scratch. Get some of the glass ceramic stove top cleaner
has a very very fine abrasive. I have polished out scratches in plastic using this.

Amazon.com: Weiman Products Llc 38 "Glass Cook Top" Heavy Duty Cleaner & Polish 10 Oz.: Kitchen & Dining
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 06:37   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

"sanding his rails..." hmmm; for varnish?

An old beach towel accidently hung over wet varnish really makes a mess. Perhaps even an old towel that is soaked with GPS screen scratch remover... "Oops."
Old 23-05-2011, 06:55   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
you can try polishing out the scratch. Get some of the glass ceramic stove top cleaner
has a very very fine abrasive. I have polished out scratches in plastic using this.

Amazon.com: Weiman Products Llc 38 "Glass Cook Top" Heavy Duty Cleaner & Polish 10 Oz.: Kitchen & Dining
Hmm, I wouldn't. Raymarine have a coating on the C and E series glass displays. Indeed a batch failed and Raymarine had to replace the glass.

Our Garmin has a 1/4" crack in the top corner. I dropped it when installing it for the first time. Everytime I switch it on the crack reminds me of what happened

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps