Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 16:14   #226

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Govt Shutdown Impact on Boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
People and their employer pay into SS, it is their money. If your story is accurate he is considered disabled, thereby is eligible to receive his money.
not true, and this is a little closer too home.. I have an ex-wife devorced over 30 years ago, raised my two sons myself, and she is drawing over 800 permonth, plus food stamps and lives with a few other druggies..
with that money I could stay out blue water..
And she has never worked a day in her life, unless you call chaising a bag being work..
when money was plentyfull here in the US, all forms of support took place from drug addic reform to paid baby sitting for the family without a father in the home. the government stepped up and said "we'll pay for that" and now we're in a fix, and you dont dare take away what we once had..
for that matter I posted a blip over a year ago about not being able to find someone to work in my shop.. over 300 people applied but no-one whanted to work..
and I laugh about it now but I had people comming in that said that starting wage at 12 to 14 per hour would give them less money than they were making on welfair ..
My gripe isnt against one party of people, and we all know many things are wrong with the government and its not going to fix itself overnight but I really get pushed out of shape when someone able to work is drawing aid and bitching about how the government is doing wrong..
Old 07-10-2013, 16:16   #227

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Not with the same type of people in charge of the check book. Just look at the average American savings rate.
So true .. no money for saving when you've got big SUVs and monster trucks, oversized houses, big flat screen TVs, oversized waists, etc. to pay for. To a larger extent I think the middle class has done it to themselves. But everyone needs a scapegoat.
Old 07-10-2013, 16:26   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
not true, and this is a little closer too home.. I have an ex-wife devorced over 30 years ago, raised my two sons myself, and she is drawing over 800 permonth, plus food stamps and lives with a few other druggies..
And she has never worked a day in her life, unless you call chaising a bag being work..
when money was plentyfull here in the US, all forms of support took place from drug addic reform to paid baby sitting for the family without a father in the home. the government stepped up and said "we'll pay for that" and now we're in a fix, and you dont dare take away what we once had..
for that matter I posted a blip over a year ago about not being able to find someone to work in my shop.. over 300 people applied but no-one whanted to work..
and I laugh about it now but I had people comming in that said that starting wage at 12 to 14 per hour would give them less money than they were making on welfair ..
My gripe isnt against one party of people, and we all know many things are wrong with the government and its not going to fix itself overnight but I really get pushed out of shape when someone able to work is drawing aid and bitching about how the government is doing wrong..
I know what you mean. I've got several in-laws that are on the dole and could be working but would rather bitch about their situation. But then I look around and think ... who's enjoying life more me or them? No question who's life I'd pick.
Old 07-10-2013, 16:58   #229

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Really? What state do you live in that is that generous? I live in Virginia. I was a
recipient of food stamps for maybe 6 months after my divorce. $7.50 an hr. I was paid. From my wages 1/3 went to an insurance company that made ungodly profits. But I made too much to qualify for anything more.

How did you help provide for the care, education, and feeding for your children? Just curious.
Old 07-10-2013, 17:59   #230

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee some of you folks are real ROUGH !! Ive been drawing SS for 10 yrs! Im 75, if this was all I had to live on I sure would not have a boat and go where I want, when I want!! Ive worked all my life, at least since I was 13! Fought in two wars, and saved a little and even made a good investment!(by luck LOL) I sure would hate to be forced to try raise a family with SS and food stamps!! Ive never really met anyone out sailing on SS and Connie and I sailed in the hight of the "hippie days" saw lots of folks sailing in junk, tryin to live on fish and taro, some made it and many others gave it up! If yall can afford to cruise, ya need more than what I make on SS LOL, unless ya can really live on beans and rice!! Just my 2 cents
Old 07-10-2013, 18:12   #231

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow

Its always easy paint all those on welfare as cheats or simply flag up the odd scam here and there. That's not the point , there are millions of disadvantaged, homeless, dirt poor people that need genuine help to ensure they have a place to sleep and a roof over their heads.

That's aside from social policy , that expects a country to ensure its children are nourished , schooled, and provided with healthcare , to ensure its elderly are looked after in their old age etc.

That's what your taxes are supposed to do, instead they get spent on missiles and pointless overseas adventures

Dave
No that is what family and community are for. Not gov. Those that want that can live in Europe.
Old 07-10-2013, 18:35   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No merely that a simplistic solution put forth is typical of the nonsense spouted by certain sections. The situation especially in a recession is complex and requires government to leverage forward.

Simply blaming offshore manufacturing for the problem or chineese debt is merely the old " they took or jobs" cry

A modern social democracy or perhaps a social constitutional republic to be precise balances the rights and benefits of the " haves " with providing a safety net under the " have nots ". This is so the " haves " can sleep easy at night because otherwise the " have-nots " eventually get pissed and take it off the " haves " ( that's called revolution)

On top of that its a social good to ensure all the nation is fed housed , schooled and has basic healthcare. I see no issue in relieving the " haves" of a portion to ensure that objective. A balance must be struck.

I see no impending lack of wealth in the US to achieve that goal.

Dave
Well thank you King David for informing us daft colonists of how we simply must conduct ourselves in order to be proper citizens of the world.
Old 07-10-2013, 18:49   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles

So your parents (or maybe you) haven't benefited from SS and Medicare just to name a couple government plans we all benefit from.
They certainly paid into it as I have and no I've never used any I paid in. My dad worked until 3 weeks before he died at 79.
Old 07-10-2013, 18:49   #234

Boat: Columbia 41

I am at Buzzard's Point Marina. The Park Service has posted signs that the marina is closed. As a boat owner, you are allowed to visit your boat but if you take the boat out you cannot bring it back. Nobody is paying any attention to it. Life goes on as before.
Old 07-10-2013, 18:51   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl
They be stomping on my religious rights! Don't stomp on me brother! I'm free to be athiest if I please. Check our constitution. Don't stomp on me and I won't stomp on you.
Indeed you are. How does that make me hypocritical?
Old 07-10-2013, 18:53   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post

Where in the world did you get all that?
Tea Party. Extreemist religious party trying to impose their morality and their sense of greed as being accepted by normal Americans.
Old 07-10-2013, 18:54   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
They certainly paid into it as I have and no I've never used any I paid in. My dad worked until 3 weeks before he died at 79.
Right .. just make sure you and your relatives don't draw out any more than you paid in .. SS and Medicare benefits.
Old 07-10-2013, 18:59   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl

Tea Party. Extreemist religious party trying to impose their morality and their sense of greed as being accepted by normal Americans.
So what did I type that set you off?
Old 07-10-2013, 19:01   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles

Right .. just make sure you and your relatives don't draw out any more than you paid in .. SS and Medicare benefits.
Sure doodles. Wouldn't work if we all got out what we put in. Oh wait...
Oh well just let others abuse it.
Old 07-10-2013, 19:19   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Hmmm...Some how this statement and your Ekhart Tolle quote don't seem to match

I looked through the post and didn't seem to catch any religious suggestions. You on the correct thread?
Yes it does apply. I learn that in this society religious freedom and respect are sadly lacking. The " tea party" is extremely religious and they currently have America, and this coming week, the entiire world's economy as their hostage. Love them, love their religion, let them rule or don't
Closed Thread