Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 14:03   #211

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Govt Shutdown Impact on Boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Would you attend a rally in your town, or go to DC to urge them to get off the dime and pass the budget and debt ceiling legislation already?

The business world is cringing at the thought of an actual default. The global economic impact of a US default could dwarf that of the 2008 crash.
Which is worse, taking the hit now or raising the debt ceiling and going back to increasing the debt more so we can deal with it "later"??

Every time I have heard good news about the deficit it is always that the rate of increase has gone down. That is not really good news. Good news is if the actual debt goes down. When that starts things are really going to hurt too, right?
Old 07-10-2013, 14:03   #212
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post

Cant agree with you more.. Ran across a guy awhile back that is receiving Social Security from having a freggin Drug Addiction ...
Got a pretty good amount upfront and bought a 36 foot double ender and headed to the south pacific.. with a monthly income from the same government he bitched about..
Now if you can sail a boat, you can damn sure hold down a job,
It might not be the best, but it will keep your sorry ass off the government payroll and at the same time, contribute to the econemy ..
Being I'm one that pays his share in taxes and supports the system, I feel I have the right to bitch a little..
and my main bitch is the government is putting out to much money to the low-lives sucking off the easy pickins ..

This post is not addressed to any one person but is in whole to those that would rather bitch and suck of the government instead of doing something about it..

and chances are, I've violated the "Be Nice rule", so dont expect this post to be up for long.........
Its always easy paint all those on welfare as cheats or simply flag up the odd scam here and there. That's not the point , there are millions of disadvantaged, homeless, dirt poor people that need genuine help to ensure they have a place to sleep and a roof over their heads.

That's aside from social policy , that expects a country to ensure its children are nourished , schooled, and provided with healthcare , to ensure its elderly are looked after in their old age etc.

That's what your taxes are supposed to do, instead they get spent on missiles and pointless overseas adventures

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 14:04   #213
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post

The military can overthrow the government.
I wish they would.
You wouldn't like the outcome , few do

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 14:08   #214
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

Which is worse, taking the hit now or raising the debt ceiling and going back to increasing the debt more so we can deal with it "later"??

Every time I have heard good news about the deficit it is always that the rate of increase has gone down. That is not really good news. Good news is if the actual debt goes down. When that starts things are really going to hurt too, right?
You could raise taxes. The US is hardly near the worlds top tax taker, bit of headroom there , that'll bring the deficit down

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 14:08   #215
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"have you called or emailed your member of Congress, Senator, and/or President? "
You know, since they installed that bullet-=proof glass in the White House, it has become harder and harder to just tape a note to a brick and toss it through the window.
Old 07-10-2013, 14:09   #216

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post

. Why buy insurance if the insurance companies make you apply for SS? I think it is another tactic to delay and if ss denies you, they can walk away, never paying you a cent.

the jerks on capital hill who portray everyone as leeches to the system.

Insurance companies rule the world. And are evil.

If the jerks on capital hill do portray everyone as leeches to the system then why do they keep creating systems to pay more and more of them each day?
Old 07-10-2013, 14:24   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Its always easy paint all those on welfare as cheats or simply flag up the odd scam here and there. That's not the point , there are millions of disadvantaged, homeless, dirt poor people that need genuine help to ensure they have a place to sleep and a roof over their heads.

That's aside from social policy , that expects a country to ensure its children are nourished , schooled, and provided with healthcare , to ensure its elderly are looked after in their old age etc.

That's what your taxes are supposed to do, instead they get spent on missiles and pointless overseas adventures

Dave
When I see those on Medicaid (daily) I see a lot (a lot) of them that are continuing to make the same poor life choices. They are given a chance to buy (and are educated on) "good" food and are not doing that. The diabetics are non-compliant. The hypertensive are non-compliant. As a rule, in general, they are non-compliant. Their overall obesity rate is higher than average. How can those that being helped with a "roof over their head" and "nourishment" continue to receive without some sort of accountability while the 24 year old just had here 5th (yes fifth) C-section? They don't care from my view. They are fat, sassy and (too) happy.
Every day.

But this is just those I see.
Maybe you see the skinny ones that are hungry and appreciative.
Old 07-10-2013, 14:26   #218

Quote:
You could raise taxes. The US is hardly near the worlds top tax taker, bit of headroom there , that'll bring the deficit down

Dave
Not with the same type of people in charge of the check book. Just look at the average American savings rate.
Old 07-10-2013, 14:27   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
There's ..10 days til the government defaults? Time to do... what? The House GOP don't want to tackle the debt now, they only want to kick a hole in the ACA - legislation that's been passed, tested by the Supreme Court, and the subject of an election. Everyone knows this.
Old 07-10-2013, 14:30   #220

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
What I took from Randy's post is that like most people he's upset and perplexed by the DC brinksmanship, and he lashed out at an easy target. I'm suggesting that people learn enough to find out where the problem really is and, instead of lashing out, direct the energy in a way that might actually change something.

It's about the same effort to email your House representative as it is to bitch in a forum. Which action has a better chance of actually changing something?
While I agree about Government mis-spending on useless wars, I think Randys point was the people who bad mouth the US from Mananaland while expecting to being taken care of. I expect the same but I'm working and paying taxes at the same time until I can retire. I sleep well at night knowing I am part of the solution, not part of the problem. Maybe Randy will chime in and clear it up.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-10-2013, 14:35   #221

I am sorry for continuing with the politics.

I am glad I am not trying to anchor in Shark River today.
Old 07-10-2013, 14:49   #222
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
While I agree about Government mis-spending on useless wars, I think Randys point was the people who bad mouth the US from Mananaland while expecting to being taken care of. I expect the same but I'm working and paying taxes at the same time until I can retire. I sleep well at night knowing I am part of the solution, not part of the problem. Maybe Randy will chime in and clear it up.
Whether your inside the system , outside the system , etc etc doesn't really make an issue, a valid critique is a valid critique , mindless self absorbed rantings of course , should remain the province of home based head cases. Lol

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 15:29   #223

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:

Dave
I doubt it.

I can see someone looking at the additional income saying that it'll give the government more money to SPEND, and wouldn't allocate much, if any, toward paying down the deficit.

Regarding the original post, if we were to pay even more towards taxes, that'll really cause a hit on the boating community when more people won't be able to afford their "toys". This could cause an even higher supply of used boats on the market. But then, who would buy them?
Old 07-10-2013, 15:33   #224
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post

I doubt it.

I can see someone looking at the additional income saying that it'll give the government more money to SPEND, and wouldn't allocate much, if any, toward paying down the deficit.

Regarding the original post, if we were to pay even more towards taxes, that'll really cause a hit on the boating community when more people won't be able to afford their "toys". This could cause an even higher supply of used boats on the market. But then, who would buy them?
Funny , Norway has the highest boat ownership per head in the world. , have a look at the tax rates when you get a minute

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 15:46   #225

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

For some comic relief;

Special Edition - A Look Back at the Government Shutdown | The Daily Show With Jon Stewart - Full Episode Video | Comedy Central
Closed Thread