Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 17:08   #1

Govt Shutdown Impact on Boaters

The stories are coming in. Boaters and campers are being kicked off Lake Mead and Lake Powell. At Mead, rangers have already removed docks. Nat'l Seashores are being closed. It's now violation of federal law to even walk on a beach on federal lands. Also there are numerous reports, some unconfirmed, which state any privately owned marinas on lands leased from the feds are now or will be closed.

The Myths and Realities of the Government Shutdown | OcracokeCurrent

Thank you petulant schoolboys in DC.
Old 03-10-2013, 17:10   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Govt shutdown impact on boaters

you just have to laugh

dave
Old 03-10-2013, 17:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
you just have to laugh

dave
At face value I would agree. But tell it to him who has paid live aboard slip fees. Or, pity the guy who has his boat hauled in the yard of such a place. Work stoppage, denied access.

I wonder if the ICW will notice any impact. Bridges remained closed, nav channels not maintained, etc
Old 03-10-2013, 17:35   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

glad i ran away from home when i did.....
Old 03-10-2013, 17:50   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Say dave, do me a favor and run down to parliament and post a note on the door for us?

"WANTED: NATIONAL GOVERNMENT. APPLICANTS MUST SPEAK ENGLISH, PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE RUNNING ANY NATIONAL GOVERNMENT NOT REQUIRED BUT A PLUS. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT OCCUPANT, 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, WEASHINGTON, DC. APPLICANTS MUST APPLY IN WRITING AND PASS CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK."

Hey, if Congress wants to quit? Goodbye, let's hire a new one and lock 'em out. Refusing to work is misfeasance and malfeasance and those are grounds for termination.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:53   #6

Boat: Cornado 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Say dave, do me a favor and run down to parliament and post a note on the door for us?

"WANTED: NATIONAL GOVERNMENT. APPLICANTS MUST SPEAK ENGLISH, PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE RUNNING ANY NATIONAL GOVERNMENT NOT REQUIRED BUT A PLUS. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT OCCUPANT, 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, WEASHINGTON, DC. APPLICANTS MUST APPLY IN WRITING AND PASS CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK."

Hey, if Congress wants to quit? Goodbye, let's hire a new one and lock 'em out. Refusing to work is misfeasance and malfeasance and those are grounds for termination.
Nice!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:02   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Govt Shutdown Impact on Boaters

The best thing that citizens of the U.S can do is to email or snail mail a pink slip to all in both houses with 2 words written. "Your Fired". We have been ask by boaters we are meeting along our cruise whether the shut down will affect locks and bridges. The answer is, it will not. Any marine facilities connected to NATIONAL Parks will be closed. State Park facilities will not be affected. Federal funded museums, such as the Navy Maritime Mueseum in Portsmouth are closed. Private facilities leased from the federal government are NOT closed unless part of a federal park. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Land of the fee...oops FREE
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:31   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Since all National Parks are closed, I was wondering how they would handle boats entering Parks to anchor for safe refuge, an act protected by laws higher than the lowlifes in Congress.

Per the linked article wrt Dry Tortugas:

Quote:
The park is only open to boats traversing park waters or seeking safe harbor.
So you can go to Dry Tortugas, but don't step foot on any landmass inside the park. One has to assume the same would be true for Little Shark River in the Everglades National Park. They've apparently kicked out all commercial fishing guides, even those that dock outside the park, no entering Park waters to fish (not sure about non-commercial recreational fishing). I'd be interested to see what they would do if you use the D.T. Park mooring system to snorkel and dive. Interesting dilemma.

But it does appear if you are transiting from SW Florida to Key West to Mexico and beyond, you can seek safe harbor inside the Parks for waiting weather, etc.

By The Numbers: How The Shutdown Is Screwing Turtles, Everglades National Park, And The Dry Tortugas
Old 04-10-2013, 06:38   #10

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I wish the no discharge petitioners here in Washington state would quit, just like Congress.
By the way, what word defines the opposite of Progress?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

The whole NOAA website is shut down. Went to look up a boat that went by on the CG registry and got a "closed for business" notice lol.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Hmmm ... I wonder how long before this gets too political and is shut down?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57   #13

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I have confirmed that the Onslow Beach Swing Bridge (north of Mile Hammock Bay, ICW Mile 240.7) is running on it's normal schedule and will continue to "unless it breaks or there's a hurricane," according to the bridge tender. It is part of the Marine Corps Base, but operates as "essential" being a navigation route. As far as National Parks being closed...remember that includes National Seashores, National Military Parks, National Forests, etc.... As far as channels not being maintained...I think that's business as usual! (Actually, per the article Richard5 cited, the Hatteras Inlet dredging is still going, although other dredging projects have been put on hold).
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

To stay away from the politics.

I needed to to a USCG search of documentation for a customer and they are shut down.

Opps, someone beat me to it.

EDIT: the new bums are the ones causing the problems. The old bums that didn't get kicked out want to make some deals and move one.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
The whole NOAA website is shut down. Went to look up a boat that went by on the CG registry and got a "closed for business" notice lol.
The following is posted on a NOAA site. The bold is mine and to highlight this part has been added as of today. I also notice many, but not all, features of the website are now functioning.

"Due to the Federal Government shutdown, NOAA.gov and most associated web sites are unavailable. However, because the information this site provides is necessary to protect life and property, it will be updated and maintained during the Federal Government shutdown."
Closed Thread