Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 13:17   #106

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Govt Shutdown Impact on Boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
America was not shut down properly. Would you like to start America in safe mode, with free healthcare & without the guns? (Recommended)
Perhaps a restart to an earlier date...Say 1950
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 05-10-2013, 13:40   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
The whole NOAA website is shut down. Went to look up a boat that went by on the CG registry and got a "closed for business" notice lol.

This one is still up. It's the only one that I really use.
NHC Active Tropical Cyclones

There is a little note across the top of the page about this page being exempt from the shutdown.

The feds supposedly shut down the government.
The markets yawned.
I yawned with them.

This "shutdown" has little effect on me. They really don't do a whole lot for me when they are in their standard condition.
Old 05-10-2013, 13:59   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
It may be argues that in the absence of federal government, and the absence of the park rangers who ordinarily protect federal property, the duty falls to the federal militia to stand to and protect those same endangered sites like the Dry Tortugas.

So if you happen to meet the definitions as per 10 USC 311, feel free to go on active duty until and unless you can find a superior officer to take charge.

10 USC § 311 - Militia: composition and classes | Title 10 - Armed Forces | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

10 USC 311: Militia composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

Please note, this is not politics, this is a legal obligation placed on US citizens. We do in fact have compulsory "universal" service, as defined above. As the Militia serve the State and not the Government, a government shutdown makes no difference in the obligation to serve.

I like your perspective. I don't see your suggestion as being particularly workable, but I do like your take on the situation.
Old 05-10-2013, 14:02   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Bearing in mind that before the Revolution we were all Englishmen.
There were also savages, & a few others present before 1776. Much of the current population of the US moved to the continent well after the revolution & were never Englishmen.
Old 05-10-2013, 14:06   #110

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
There were also savages, & a few others present before 1776. Much of the current population of the US moved to the continent well after the revolution & were never Englishmen.
"Savages"? Referring to our Native American population?
Old 05-10-2013, 14:28   #111
Armchair Bucketeer

I thought that to fix this sort of thing was what Americans had guns for - or was that just a self delusion?
Old 05-10-2013, 14:34   #112

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Excellent question, DOJ!

Old 05-10-2013, 15:43   #113

Boat: PT-11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The solution is simple, a constitutional ammendment specifying one year in prison for every member of congress for every day the government is shut down, regardless of party or the way they voted. That would put an end to this crap.
This would be great as long as they were also jailed for failing to produce a statutorily required budget, exceeding spending and borrowing caps or using federal agencies for political vendettas.
Old 05-10-2013, 16:13   #114

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M

They seem to be spending more guarding the shut down areas then they would to keep them open.
Old 05-10-2013, 16:16   #115
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
united stated is a constitutional REPUBLIC

there is nothing democratic about it.

never was considered during formation of the paperworx for usa in 1776 and is not considered today as democracy. there is no such thing as functioning democracy.
unfortunately now th especial interests which run usa are corporations , no longer landowners. we are screwed. sorry folks, if you dont like it, look it up.
research before saying the usa is democracy anything--aint and never was intended to be democracy. rodlmao.
try constitutional republic.

fascism seems to be the trending thought process at present, and abuse is the practiced method of punishment for congress being elected..ditto president --as they continue their abuse of their alleged constituency.
Exaclty correct. Thanks for correcting me and setting the record straight.
Old 05-10-2013, 16:33   #116

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
It seems the politicians are worried no one would notice the gov. had shut down so they are trying to make it inconvenient.
Who cares if the information booth is closed in a national park, but put up barricades on a normally unmaintaned road and you get idiotic inconvenience. Oh wait I confused myself. It's idiotic inconvenience whether the gov is running or not.
Old 05-10-2013, 16:43   #117

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Congress has had a total of 15 bills passed this year. They include:
HR 258: Stolen Valor Act of 2013 (A new version of the law against claiming, falsely, to be a veteran. The last version was struck down by SCOTUS.)
HR 325: No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013 (The punt that delayed the debt limit.)
HR 475: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to include vaccines against seasonal influenza within the definition of taxable vaccines.
HR 1246: District of Columbia Chief Financial Officer Vacancy Act
This out of over 4000 bills refereed to committee this year. 15 Bill total for the year and nothing really important either. To put this in perspective, in 2005 on today's date, then president "W" signed into law 13 bills.

I call that totally ineffective government. If you had employees that ineffective you would fire them. Which I hope we all do next election. So yes when you compare the current congress to any other government in the world including France and even Greece, Ours is running strongly in last place.

Oh and to get this back to boating, congress also passed The Freedom to Fish Act, which opens boating access around dams in Kentucky. Now that's Impressive government...

In North Carolina, the assembly members are all part time. Some are farmers, some business execs, etc. The state never wanted professional politicians. In general, I prefer a govt that passes few bills, and only when absolutely needed, as each one likely takes away a chunk of somebody's freedom. They need to take more time to study the ones they pass (or fail). I understand some politicians have helpers that read and interpret the bills they "consider," while lazier ones defer the WRITING to others.
Old 05-10-2013, 16:44   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71
"Savages"? Referring to our Native American population?
From what I've been able to gather. The term savages is used for non English and English alike who don't hold their fork right, or other various grave abuses.
Of course this is coming from a savage!
Old 05-10-2013, 17:02   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon
It seems the politicians are worried no one would notice the gov. had shut down so they are trying to make it inconvenient.
Who cares if the information booth is closed in a national park, but put up barricades on a normally unmaintaned road and you get idiotic inconvenience. Oh wait I confused myself. It's idiotic inconvenience whether the gov is running or not.
Sry I restated what others already had I initially skipped through a lot after the first 2 pages.
Old 05-10-2013, 17:25   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I discovered my NOAA web cams site for access to Great Lakes cams is posted 'closed due to the shut down'. I, however, found one of my direct hot links to one of the cameras. - It works!. I edited the URL to remove the last step and went immeadiately to the NOAA weather station where all camera feeds were still on line and accessable as well as weather and rout planning data. THis means that the only thing they did was to expend man-power to inconvenience the public, at the public's expense. No money was saved - in fact - money spent.

These guys have bee instructed to inconvenience the public to the greatest extent wherever possible. Just remember, we work for them; they do not work for us.
Closed Thread