Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 11:58   #1
cruiser

Good Multihull Surveyor in South Miami/Keys?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good multihull surveyor in South Miami/Keys?

I can just look through the NAMS site, but I figured maybe somone on here had a person they really liked.

Thanks!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 14:19   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Charles Kantor wrote many of the books on catamarans and is an expert on Catalacs. He's in south Florida. His contact info is here

PM me when you get a computer moment and I'll fill you in, so to speak.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 14:23   #3
cruiser

Holy #(*@$!! I didn't know you could contract him for a survey. Wow.
Old 08-02-2008, 17:10   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
If I was getting a survey done, I would have the surveyor spend a couple of hours using a small hammer to tap over every inch of the hull looking for areas of delamination. It's pretty easy for a good surveyor to find delaminated hull.

I wouldn't touch a delaminated hull for any amount of money. That's pretty much the only thing I would be concerned about on a survey. If the hull and deck don't check out 100% fine structurally, don't buy the cat.

For me personally, the rest of the survey is more about how much money it's going to take to get the boat in seaworthy condition. That part of the survey is easily done with a checklist, and you don't need to be a surveyor to tell what's going on. At least, I never needed one.

I would make a giant checklist of every system and item on a well found yachts, and then I would relentlessly examine every system and piece of gear. I would pay particular attention to those things that must be replaced or upgraded in the next two years. I would be brutally honest about every system on the boat because the cost of the boat isn't the selling price. It's the cost of making everything shipshape after you buy it.

After I have done my checklist, I get out the marine catalogues and get on internet and find out exactly how much money it will take to make things right on the yacht.

When I buy a boat, I take off my rose colored sunglasses, and I look at the cost of the worst case scenario. I have never had a boat that cost less than my brutally honest survey predicted.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 17:57   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
If I was getting a survey done, I would have the surveyor spend a couple of hours using a small hammer to tap over every inch of the hull looking for areas of delamination. It's pretty easy for a good surveyor to find delaminated hull.

I wouldn't touch a delaminated hull for any amount of money. That's pretty much the only thing I would be concerned about on a survey. If the hull and deck don't check out 100% fine structurally, don't buy the cat.

For me personally, the rest of the survey is more about how much money it's going to take to get the boat in seaworthy condition. That part of the survey is easily done with a checklist, and you don't need to be a surveyor to tell what's going on. At least, I never needed one.

I would make a giant checklist of every system and item on a well found yachts, and then I would relentlessly examine every system and piece of gear. I would pay particular attention to those things that must be replaced or upgraded in the next two years. I would be brutally honest about every system on the boat because the cost of the boat isn't the selling price. It's the cost of making everything shipshape after you buy it.

After I have done my checklist, I get out the marine catalogues and get on internet and find out exactly how much money it will take to make things right on the yacht.

When I buy a boat, I take off my rose colored sunglasses, and I look at the cost of the worst case scenario. I have never had a boat that cost less than my brutally honest survey predicted.
Done.

I do that when evaluating boats. I knocked 3 of them out in the last 2 days due to delam issues. Then again, I've been doing this stuff for 20 years on monos before switching to cats. Same principles.

I need the surveyor for the bank and insurance.
Old 08-02-2008, 21:04   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
A good frined went shopping for a big cat last year.
He found a 42 Manta on the New River in FLL.
The boat checked out great except for the delamination and soaked balsa/foam on one the hulls.
The owners offered to fix the problem at no cost but would not budge on price.

My bud moved away from that cat and found a better on in the FL Keys for less money. (2 years older but same make/model)

The price tag was still over 300K (US $)
This is crazy guys, big money for a fiberglass/balsa/foam toyboat that has been used for 10 years...

A 42' monohull, 10 or 12 years old could be had for 1/2 of the price.
Yeah, less dancing room and a knot or 2 slower, but I would take it any day for $150K...What is the big deal?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:47   #7
cruiser

I agree CSYman. It's hard picking through the garbage - the terribly expensive garbage.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:12   #8

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
HaHA, CSY Man,

wait until you retire at my age! Than we talk again about catamarans! You know, how long it took me to switch from Mono to Multi!

See you soon in FLL!

For surveyor south Miami, yellow pages "Deep six"
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:01   #9

Privilege/delamination question

Hi
This is my first post on the forum.
I've learned a lot from reading this site, and need to learn much more as my wife and I search for our first large live-aboard cat.

We've shopped (in brokerage) Gemini, the PDQ 36, and the Privilege 39. Dave, your Maxingout web site is a powerful advertising tool for the Privilege. And my wife loves the cockpit, so we're Privilege shopping.

Question 1: Isn't delamination inevitable (somewhere) in virtually any large, cored structure? I guess this is another way of asking if there isn't some delamination even in your boat, Dave. We looked at an older Priv 39 (straight shaft/no sail drives . . . yes!) but there's one patch of delamination. Many on the forum regard this as a deal killer. Why? Once begun, does delamination spread?

Question 2: The WEST System repair manual seems to suggest that delamination repair/core replacement is no big deal. Any comments on this?

Thanks for your help.
John Ruppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 13:52   #10

Boat: Catalac 10M
Florida Surveyor

Hey Sully:

I just had a survey done in Panama City by a guy named Christopher Mills.
Very thorough, detailed reports, well respected (I checked) and reasonable rates. Travels all over Florida. May not be Charles Kanter but treated me marvelously and knew multis very well.

Christopher Mills, AMS
MYS & SYS
(850) 913.1595
Fax (850) 913.1559

thims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 14:59   #11

Here is where you can look up great surveyors..

NAMS 800-822-6267 NAMSGlobal | An International Association of Marine Surveyors or SAMS 800-344-9077 The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Inc.® - (SAMS®)

Thanks
Chanty
Chantyabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 15:55   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Charles Kanter is AMS*. I just talked to him two days ago, and he is at home at the moment. I don't think he goes up any more masts these days, but he still crawls into all the dark places, and he's a real pleasure to sail with. I think he still teaches new owners how to handle their Cats. A caution: he is a man of Indellible Opinion! He surveyed my boat for the previous owner, who spent a grand or two meeting all the recommendations.

The acronym "AMS®" (Accredited Marine Surveyor) is a registered trademark of the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors® (SAMS)
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 16:29   #13

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
A good frined went shopping for a big cat last year.
He found a 42 Manta on the New River in FLL.
The boat checked out great except for the delamination and soaked balsa/foam on one the hulls.
The owners offered to fix the problem at no cost but would not budge on price.

My bud moved away from that cat and found a better on in the FL Keys for less money. (2 years older but same make/model)

The price tag was still over 300K (US $)
This is crazy guys, big money for a fiberglass/balsa/foam toyboat that has been used for 10 years...

A 42' monohull, 10 or 12 years old could be had for 1/2 of the price.
Yeah, less dancing room and a knot or 2 slower, but I would take it any day for $150K...What is the big deal?
All depends on your situation. I had (still have somewhere in New England if the guy ever pays me) a 38' monohull and loved it. I now have 3 kids under 10 and moved to a cat. Why:

1. Does not heel - lost some fun but stable for the kids.

2. It can be blowing 20s and 30s; the youngest ones can be in the salon playing a game while I and the older child are having a blast outside. It was a cat or hard/no sailing with the rest of the family which was not acceptable.

3. Twice the cost for twice the boat - mine is 47' long and 25' wide. How wide is a mono that length? I have two engines, you have one. You hope never to have engine problems, but I have a "get out of the ocean free" with the extra one. (Running out of fuel does not count...)

4. Lots of room for me, my kids and friends. I can and have put 10 people on the boat for days.

Someday I may go back to a mono when my condition changes, but I am really enjoying the multihull now.
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 21:38   #14

Location: Australia - but currently somewhere in the Mediterranean
Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI
Send a message via Skype™ to Oz_Steve
I'm in a similar boat (metaphorically speaking) to John who asked about delamination issues and how bad they are. If anyone can answer his questions, I'd love to hear also as my knowledge of delamination and fibreglass repairs are fairly minimal.

Cheers
Steve
Oz_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, multihull, surveyor