Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2019, 06:07   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Good deeds you have done

Warm my heart by sharing stories of nice things you've done while on the water. Give away water, give goods to people who cannot afford them, give someone a tow, ...???
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 06:31   #2

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Good deeds you have done

no good deed goes unpunished.
sorry could not help myself
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 07:27   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

exactly. no good deed goes unpunished. i have saved breakaways and towed their boats, boatsat friends boats during their absence, housesat, i have donated foodstuffs and water and pet foods, health care info, boat parts, engine parts, outboards, dinghies, rides to places, stainless rails, many many many items and much information. saved lives of sailors in direst need, and many unnamed issues. helped with dying pets and people, too much to mention.
there is no measure of assistance, only "status" for superficial alleged yotties.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 07:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good deeds you have done

I dont talk to anyone unless I have to..
No complaints.. so obviously that make them happy..
And I use Emoticons excessively so other folks can feel superior.. Makes them even happier..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 07:48   #5

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I've been the recipient many times.

Having lunch on shore with a good friend Lance and his friend he wanted me to meet. Happened to mention my fresh water pump ate its lunch that morning. Lance's friend (Tony?) said he had one in his garage someone gave him. Returning to the boat the next day I found it laying in my cockpit.

Mike, a cruiser I had met a couple of days earlier noticed my furling line was chaffed badly near the winch. Told him I need to replace that when I can as it would not be good for it to snap while underway. The next day he motored by with a line for me that looked new. Said he had it for a while but was too small for his boat. But I suspect he bought it for me.

Rob, a cruiser returning to land, was clearing his dock box. Gave a new chain to my friend Joel. I was too big for his Westerly so he gave it to me. It was three eights BBB and 150ft., perfect with my new anchor, and I've slept well on it more than a thousand times.

There are more, these are the ones that come to mind readily.

My good deeds? Usually me fixing something for someone while teaching them something. Climbing a young cruising couple's mast to fix the anchor light. Tracking down the cause of intermittent running lights. Rebuilding dinghy carbs several times. Things like that, always for live-aboard cruisers of modest means like myself. Where saving the repair labor costs had real value for them. And usually followed up with a beverage at sunset and good conversation in the cockpit.

I love life on the water.
Old 13-01-2019, 07:50   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Back when I was maybe 17, my friend and I were fishing and were approached by two old men in a small wooded power boat.

They were lost, drunk, and almost out of gas. (and almost out of beer and whiskey) It was like 9:30 am!

After we talked for a while we figured out they were maybe 30 miles from home so we had them follow us to the boat ramp and drove them to get their car and trailer

We stopped along the way for more beer. (and gas for their boat)

By the time we all made it back to the boat ramp, we were all pretty hammered so we fished close to shore in the creek for the rest of the day and napped

It was quite the rescue in our books and lucky for us they bought us plenty of beer since we were under age to purchase it legally ourselves!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 08:38   #7

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
pirate Re: Good deeds you have done

That Emoticon thing really touched a nerve with me. I have never felt so superior over absolutely everybody and indeed over everything as I do right now. I hope it doesn't fade away like usual.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 08:40   #8

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Oh, here's the best one.

I was rafted up in a bayou with a new owner of a old catamaran having met him a few days earlier. Can't remember his name. It was his first time anchoring over night. We were going to sail his new boat and anchor out for a few days. It was late fall weather, sunny but cold.

After a good sail and an evening meal we retired for the evening. I forget why I called over to him about a half hour later, but got no response. Called again to no response and thought, well, he's probably tired from the day sailing and fell quickly to sleep.

Then I remembered him saying the cold beverages we were drinking were lucky to be cold because he had some trouble lighting his (factory installed) propane fridge for the first time.

I thought, "Oh sh*t", and my heart raced. Jumped on his boat calling his name to no response. He had locked his companion way from the inside!

The folding doors were no match for adrenaline. Ripped them off bare handed and went below to noticed an odor that confirmed my fears. Found him barely conscious and unable to speak clearly. This cat was no condo and had very cramped circulation paths. He couldn't stand and I couldn't drag him from the forward berth through the boat. He was a big guy.

So I opened every port and tuned on the fans. Then began trying again to get him to the cockpit. But only managed to get him next to an open port with cool wind blowing in his face.

Thankfully that worked and he began to recover almost immediately. Within a minute or two he was speaking with a slur asking me what was happening. I told him to shut up and breath deep.

A couple minutes later he began to support himself and gather his thoughts. He looked at me with a sad sullen face and said, "Propane?".

Never been more scared.

ps,.... no need for derail discussion on propane, please. I was a factory installed system with detectors and he had owned the boat for a week.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:15   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
That Emoticon thing really touched a nerve with me. I have never felt so superior over absolutely everybody and indeed over everything as I do right now. I hope it doesn't fade away like usual.
i try to please..
You've made my day..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 09:23   #10

Boat: Freedom 32'

I like boatman61's reply: I don't talk to anyone I don't have to. That's me, I just listen. And feed those that have a soc sec less than mine.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:29   #11

I have twice saved swimmers who got way too far offshore and were literally drowning when I pulled them on board.

When in the Solomon Islands, the local chief said their water catchment tank had been cracked during a late season hurricane and asked if I could fix it. I brought out fiberglass cloth and epoxy and patched the crack. The atoll was so flat that well water was brackish and they depended on this tank that caught rainwater off the school roof as their main source of drinking water.
Even small things like giving a man with severe cataracts on another Pacific island a pair of dark polaroid sunglasses helped out.
We have given away clothing, food and water many times in remote places, plus things like outboard engine spark plugs, fishing gear, snorkelling gear, etc., so people can better feed their families. When in Cuba three years ago I gave the guy who collected the garbage in Marina Hemingway an extra fishing rod and reel I had onboard. He was obviously quite poor and he thanked me over and over again and even brought me a couple fish he had caught with it (that I told him to keep for his family).
When sailing in remote places I consider ourselves ambasadors of good will for the world and do what I can with limited onboard supplies to help out the local folks.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 09:29   #12

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
no good deed goes unpunished.
sorry could not help myself
We towed a guy who whined and cried enough to make us feel sorry for him.
We soft grounded , he had fallen asleep and t-boned us. Helped him with slip fees as he agreed to pay that back. He stiffed us for that .
Let him live in my rv . When I returned for rv I became “ no friend”.
(After taking him to hospital and putting him in hotel room for a week.) rv awning shredded. All batteries junk dead. Generator not working. Power cord submerged and slobbered with resin. The thanks I got.
But not before we added 1400$ in glass and resin in trade for solar equipment that never showed up. From a shop in port Richy that looks like mini bp station , haha. pirates exist in Florida, solar joe and solar jim....

We towed the guy, as we felt we were paying it forward. We had previously been towed ourselves for lack of fuel. Karma ? Yeah right , Hahahaha
Old 13-01-2019, 09:47   #13

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Helping others out also has its own reward -- making one feel good about oneself. There really is something to paying it forward. I've been helped many times, and haven't forgotten the favors others have done for me.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 10:18   #14

The smallest good deed is better than the grandest intention.

Once when we were out sailing returning from an overnighter at an island on a alpine lake we noticed a stopped ski boat with five or six passengers, who were waving to us, we waved back, they continued to wave and it became apparent that they were signaling for assistance, not just being friendly. So we changed course and came close to them. They had run out of fuel and were about five miles from shore drifting gently in the mild breeze. We tied them off our stern and towed them slowly [very slowly] with a dead run downwind, back to our marina where there was a fueling dock. Their cooler was loaded with beer, but their fuel tank was empty and they passed forward some cold ones while sailed, paying it forward so to speak. All in an enjoyable time had by all with a lively conversation and a very appreciative young group of water skiers and wakeboarders. They had not brought a mobile phone with them so could not call for assistance, it would have a chilly night if they had not received a tow back to a harbor, what with being dressed only in swimsuits and having towels for blankets. It tends to get cold at night in Montana, even in summer generally into the low 50 or upper 40's. They learned to bring a phone and to leave word with someone on shore who they would seek out a welfare check if they did not return by a certain time.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 10:22   #15

Good deeds are funded by human capital.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote