Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2017, 14:45   #31

Re: Going PAPERLESS afloat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
1. Are all of your pieces of paper just black and white?

2. resistant <> proof!

While it is rated IPX8, that is only a test against static immersion.
I've learnt through bitter experience that unless a device is also IPX6 rated, it's not suitable for use in a cockpit.
Stu,

I'm a lot happier learning about the IP6 consideration from you than "discovering" it myself. Based on your feedback and others I'm looking at an iPad plus a watertight 3rd party case.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 14:51   #32

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We have everything scanned or electronic that we can. But we need originals and copies of our boat documentation for law enforcement and C&I, insurance policy for marinas and those manuals that we cannot get electronically.

We store everything, except movies, on dropbox with a backup to Google Drive. I long ago ripped our DVDs and all of our music. Music fits on dropbox, but the movies are on an external drive.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 15:04   #33

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Of course, unfortunately, some books are just not available electronically. For example, "Chapman's", "World Cruising Destinations", Spanish for Cruisers, and nearly all cruising guides.
Chapman's is available on Nook. #68, IIRC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
I just tried to buy Skipper Bob's in kindle format. No joy !!

Hey Skipper Bob (company) we need you ! This is an easy, immediate path to more revenue and people who understand GDPR want to buy your guide over other options. Please please please put it on kindle format.

I will buy the first kindle copy on the launch date.
But at least it's available in e-format of some kind. See the Waterway Guide site. (FWIW, I'm usually format-agnostic.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I don't think it's a matter of "going paperless" as much as it's a preference to avoid using paper unnecessarily. It's easier to be organized digitally than with physical documents. It's also easier to retrieve documents as needed - especially when you've built up a large collection of them. And with modern technology, smart phones and tablets, you can have all your documentation with you at all times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Yeah, but...is everyone ALWAYS connected to the internet? I mean ALWAYS?
I maybe misunderstand your meaning, but connectivity isn't required once our docs are loaded. We have our full maintenance and service library on one desktop (home), two laptops on board, and two tablets on board. And then we also have Chapman's, Bowditch, Calder, Coast Pilots, etc. on those, too. No 'net required to open and use. The tablets are easy enough to carry to wherever I'm working...

-Chris

Tags
loa