Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 13:32   #1

Boat: 1984 CS 36
Giving Gifts

I just finished reading Dove and was intrigued by Robin Graham's mention of bringing a large stash of ball point pens to give away as gifts to the locals.

I'm guessing that in today's world, ball point pens aren't that much of a novelty....

I'm also guessing that booze/cigarettes would be appreciated, but I'd prefer to give something of a little more social value

I'm curious what you guys have found makes for good items for gift or trade with locals. Do you actually give forethought to this or just take it as it comes?
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 06:12   #2

It depends a lot on what "locals" you have in mind....gifts that are crap in Mexico can bring out a smile in Tonga...
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 07:03   #3

I think that you are talking about two very different issues. Gifts and Trading Goods.

As the previous poster indicated it really depends where you will be cruising as to what trading goods you wish to carry.We have not found a lot of opportunity to trade in the caribbean. Cash is king here and folding money is what most want.
The exceptions to that have been Cuba, where soap,spices,rum and cigarettes can be readily converted into lobster. And a few isolated fishing camps in Venezuela, reefs off Honduras, Nicaragua where cigarettes and booze are requested for fish.
Personally I am disinclined to supply alcohol in remote areas to strapping men who are likely to drink it all at once and then want to party....!

As to gifts, my personal opinion is that whilst it's great to say thank you for some kind of exceptional service the dubious actions of some cruisers in handing out 'goodies' to all and sundry is demeaning. If we are asked for a gift I always insist on some kind of trade. It may be a mango or even a seashell but that allows an exchange that at least attempts some kind of balance.EVERYONE has something to trade.

I get quite mad if we are following a group of boats who are handing out largesse through the islands, it really does no favors to any of us, cruisers or recipients.

As to gifts for exceptional service we carry a supply of t shirts with our boat name on and these are always valued as a thank you. And of course there is often an obvious need that you can fulfil from your ships stores. We have mended outboards, supplied hurricane lamps and provided supplies in a number of these situations.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 07:06   #4

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Kb, I can´t think of anything that would be a universally good gift either . Just a quick story . When still new here I walked into a store and people asked me if I was an Americana. I said,no,from Europe. The lady was amazed what I was doing so far from home and asked to see if I had a coin from there. I had a coin left from merry old England ,which I gave her to keep. No money value to her, but from the look on her face she treasured it and if I guess right it started her dreaming about travel there and then.

Even just for Mexico my answer would be different for just about every port,state even village. Also on a personal level I would not trade as the wanted doodad might not be the necessary doodad,i.e if I pay for what I want I give the freedom to my trade partner to get what he/she wants or needs rather than limiting the exchange, which I think is the best gift -equality.
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 07:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
I get quite mad if we are following a group of boats who are handing out largesse through the islands, it really does no favors to any of us, cruisers or recipients.
This is a great point and maybe deserved a thread on it's own. That largesse goes beyond gifts or bartering for fish ( I'm thinking tips , for instance) and many times harms , in my view , the relationship between the visitors and the locals .
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote