Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 16:39   #121

Re: Give me Encouragement to Sail from Washington to SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
With your outboard well I suggest you do what I did with my Hurley 22.. get some slightly flexible sheet rubber.. some 2x1 timber and drill some holes in the glass 1" in from the edge..
Cut the rubber so as you have 2" over the glass and a 1/2" overlap where the two edges meet in the middle..
Batten the rubber in place with wood either side.. this will allow you to move the OB up and down and though it wont stop water completely it will restrict it a helluva lot and also allow it to drain..
Still use the OB quickly if needed..
Not sure I'm understanding a couple posts about the outboard... isn't the outboard well isolated from the rest of the hull? Water going into the well from the cockpit will just go into the sea (over the outboard!) right?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 16:44   #122

Boat: Cape Dory 28

here is another view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0561.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	82643   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0591.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	82644  

Name:	DSC_0562.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	82645  
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 17:43   #123

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not sure I'm understanding a couple posts about the outboard... isn't the outboard well isolated from the rest of the hull? Water going into the well from the cockpit will just go into the sea (over the outboard!) right?
I'm not sure I'm with all those who are so concerned about the outboard well. Unless it is very different from other boats, it is not connected in any way to the bilge, just overboard. So essentially you have an open transom. Lots and lots of ocean going boats have open transoms and they aren't dangerous and they don't get wet.

Having said that, the open transom is a fairly new development that coincided with beamy transoms with lots of flotation. So maybe you will get a lot of water coming in there. But it will just run straight back out. You might get a lot of sea water over the engine which isn't that great for it. Rinse it down and spray with WD40 after it gets really wet.

I think you're just going to have to go out and try it.

Also, regarding your comments on seeking out gale force winds, you shouldn't intentionally risk your life unduly to get experience. However, gale force winds should feel a bit scary, but shouldn't actually be dangerous. If they are actually dangerous, then you're not ready or boat isn't ready. The only thing you can do is intentionally increase your exposure incrementally and safely.

Have a great cruise. I have no idea if you should head south or not (I'm leaning towards not), but you will know a lot more after spending some great months cruising in the challenging waters around here.

Remember, you can always sell this boat up here and buy another down there. No shame in that. Very few experienced sailors would choose to go down that coast in that boat, especially solo.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 18:41   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Just fyi. Current winds off the coast of northern California from the northern border to point arena, is 30-35 knots gusting to 50 knots waves 18-20 feet. Not a place for a new sailor in a small boat. That area has some of the worst weather in the world. A prudent sailor would enjoy the San Juan's and practice for a year or two. Or wait for the weather windows..
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 21:57   #125

That's what I will have done by august, enjoyed pnw for a year or two and practiced and wait for a weather window.
I am exploring some trucking options tomorrow so I have a backup plan.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:16   #126

Wow! I'll have to actually call, but a website I was looking at says trucking a boat is $1.50 a mile. THat's for boats that don't need oversize permits, under 8'6". I have a 8 foot beam. Say I sailed to Olympia. It's about 748 miles to SF. That's under $1200. It's possible I could ship it somewhere on the delta too, not really to save a couple bucks, but to maybe end up in an easier environment to get started in, instead of a busy city.

I'm not sure what kind of other costs are involved. Hauling it in and out of the water. Dropping the mast obviously, although the crane where I'm at is only $5. Has anyone done this?
Old 08-06-2014, 04:34   #127
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Give me Encouragement to Sail from Washington to SF

My decision to fit the rubber to the outboard well in my Hurley 22 came after my Nov/December 2008 trip across the Biscay from Brixham... when after nearly 3 weeks at sea in F9-10s+ and sea's up to 11 metres.
I got to within 10 miles of the entrance to Vivoero on the Galician coast and when I went to start my Honda 5hp to make a dash in before winds and seas to the start of the inlet I found I could not start the engine..
Not surprising I suppose as for the previous weeks the breaking seas I'd been cresting while hove to under just my deep reefed main had been bursting up the OB well just aft of the tiller drenching the motor... by the time I finally managed to dry everything enough to start it I'd drifted to just 5 miles offshore and almost to the wrong side of the headland to the W of the entrance..
Had to stuff my sleeping bag and several cushions down the well and around the shaft before the water stopped bursting through and drenching the motor.. allowing me to dry everything..
Now the Hurley 22 comes with a purpose built hull section that drops in the hole to seal it.. however the OB has to be removed to do it.. and believe you me.. humping a heavy 5hp four stroke is no easy thing in a big sea on a small boat.. so I sailed with it in place all the time.. never had a problem with the engine after fitting the rubber..
Also my faith in small boats in big seas was given some credence as during my last 3 nights at sea 3 big commercial fishing boats went down.. 2 Spanish within 50miles of me and a Portuguese one off Finisterre..
Turnstone in Viviero waiting for a window..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30112008(002).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	82654  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:50   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Forgive me, I may be a little nervous. I'm leaving Monday to launch the boat and start cruising. I think it's just hard to leave friends and family behind and I may be a little more touchy than usual. Want to make sure I've got everything ready. There's a lot to prepare, even not going offshore, just for extended coastal cruising. Do I have the right anchor? Did I pack too many clothes? Did I leave anything behind, plus goodbyes.

It's likely that I am just disappointed. I bought the boat with the intention of sailing to California after this summer. I may be having slight regrets of not just buying a boat in San Francisco. It's not like there aren't plenty.
Don't know if you're "gone" yet, but let's get back on track.

Many of us believe you bought the wrong boat. In addition to the engine well, and boatman's comments about sinking an outboard in the well, your rudder appears to supported only by the shaft.

Your boat is a good little coastal cruiser, but for a much different and "kinder" coast. If you get fair weather, you'll be fine. Which is why I twice have sent you Benson's experiences link. If not, you'll be in horrible danger.

Your desire for gaining experience is commendable. It's what everyone here has been trying to tell you, and it seems that you agree.

Along with experience comes a mindset of what we often call "knowing your boat." It takes, for most of us, many years.

Asking questions, now, right before your current mini-cruise, as you have in this post (i.e., "Do I have the right anchor? Did I pack too many clothes? Did I leave anything behind..") indicates to me that you don't. Yet.

You shouldn't be nervous, you should be anticipating a fine cruise and be prepared.

You should have done enough cruising to KNOW these things. Second nature should be the answer, so that you can focus on the new-to-you stuff, like navigating in new waters, for example.

In re-reading this thread, I wonder if your real goal is to sail in the San Francisco Bay Area or to sail there to do so. Only you can answer that question.

I have been sailing the Northern California coast for 30+ years. I have sailed out in the ocean in our former Catalina 25 and our current C34. I have enjoyed blissful sails out to the Farallone Islands, up to Drakes Bay and down to Monterey. I have also been out in the meat grinder days and turned around and come back. I have gotten to know my boats by sailing them weekly, knowing every single system aboard, building in backup, backup, backup.

It takes TIME to do this. You need to give yourself the time to do so. Don't hurry, 'cuz that's the sure path to danger.

Have a good trip, safe journey. After this current shakedown voyage, I think we'd all be interested in your experiences and how you view your plans for sailing down the coast after this trip.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I think he is going to ship it from Olympia, which is far smarter than breaking everything off the Oregon coast. Thanx weavis for the plug, already got a few people asking.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:24   #130

Thank you both for excellent replies. Yes back on track. To answer a few questions.

Did I buy the wrong boat? Maybe. You're right, I'll know more in a few months. I knew I was going to sail again this year. I learned a lot last summer. Believe me, you think I am inexperienced now, at the start of last year I had way more questions. I saw an ad for a Bristol 27. I had read the Bristol 27 was on the short list of inexpensive, small bluewater cruisers. So I made the drive up to Washington to find an excellent, I mean excellent bristol 26. The PO was a power boater and had spent along time in a shipyard redoing a lot of things, even down to putting brand new deck grip and gel coat. But he didn't know sailboats. I just felt like it was a great deal and couldn't pass it up. If you look at most boats under a certain price, rarely do they have all or most of the boxes checked. Rigging, paints, sails, interior. Never having sailed the North Pacific I figured I could enjoy some new places in the Salish Sea and make my way to California where I really want to be.

Is my real goal to sail to SF or to sail there. It is to sail between SF and San Diego. Once in SoCal make the decision where to go next, maybe Baja. But I don't want to get that far ahead of myself so I set the first goal as SF. I think if I can make it there, I can handle the coast south. I also thought, not knowing just how dangerous it was, that sailing to SF would give me the solo offshore experience I desire.

You've also got to know my personality. I said I was nervous about having everything ready. I was partly saying that to apologize so we could all stay friends, but also I do tend toward the anxious side. Not fear, I can surf big waves and sail by myself with only healthy doses of fear, but I tend to nitpick about preparations and things. So of course I'm excited about leaving tomorrow, but nervous as well. Just who I am.

This boat seems well suited for sailing the Salish Sea(pnw) or coastal cruising Central Cal to Baja. I just need to get there now. I could have forgone the PNW part and started by buying a boat in SF but it's too late now. I've boat several boats, only to get to know them a bit to resell. The Ranger 23 last year was a good example. Nice boat, but not the right boat for me. I think I can make this one work for my needs. We just have this Neah Bay to SF problem to tackle.

I'm leaning towards shipping maybe, but I'm really going to try to learn more and see if I can't coast hop. Waiting days, picking the right weather. There are ports along the way. I think something to the effect of:

Neah, greys, Astoria, Newport, coos, orford, crescent, eureka, Bragg, drakes, SF

That breaks it up pretty nicely. All of those harbors are enterable in decent conditions. I have called a couple of them, and the harbor masters said that in august and September the entrance is almost always open. None of them are more than a very long day apart. I could get the right weather for the day, and go. You guys did say they are very good about the two day forecast.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:26   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I think he is going to ship it from Olympia, which is far smarter than breaking everything off the Oregon coast. Thanx weavis for the plug, already got a few people asking.
And I will be looking into uship, and other trucking options. I even have an SUV myself that is rated to tow between 6900-7900 pounds. It's possible I could look into renting or buying and reselling a sailboat trailer.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:57   #132

Stu, thanks! Love the link. I think I missed it earlier. I'm sorry, but I just read it now. Good stuff thanks for sharing.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:11   #133
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
And I will be looking into uship, and other trucking options. I even have an SUV myself that is rated to tow between 6900-7900 pounds. It's possible I could look into renting or buying and reselling a sailboat trailer.
I think I was the only one who advised you 5 pages ago to look into shipping your boat, while all the other cheerleaders were saying "Just go for it man!" Jeepers.... someone's actually listening to me for a change.

Good luck, wise choice.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 19:44   #134

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Give me Encouragement to Sail from Washington to SF

I'm loving it. I wanted to unsubscribe but my morbid curiosity got the better of me.

As usual.

Kinda like the Ignore Button ... it doesn't work for me.

What I get a sense of most, and it pleases me no end, is we have a young guy here, Capt NooB, who came on cocksure and all knowing, give or take, and did a reasonable facsimile of a 180° and rather than just disappearing is sharing it with us.

Thanks Cap. Fair winds.

BC
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 22:38   #135

Watch out for fishing boats, they only appear when you are napping. Also, check out ocean gyres (spelling?). They are so consistent that in Cannon Beach, Oregon (and probably more places) they have an annual look for the washed up Nike shoes that came out of a container ship years ago. The current off the CA coast, I'm told, can make it a slow trip. Keep your radio on, talk often, get to know shore stations and you'll have someone watching your back (oops, watching your stern). Bon voyage.
Ellipsis
shvanmatre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, men, sail, washing, Washington, washington