Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 15:04   #31

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Re: Ginger to Cure Sea Sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
The carbonated Ginger Beer is popular around here for mal de mer. Ironically, its the same stuff we mix with Black Seal rum, for the imfamous "Dark n' Stormy. May not cure the problem, but sure takes your mind off of it for a while.
That's interesting. Just down the road a half day from me is Bundaberg where the famous brewed ginger beer, non-alcoholic, is made (very nice) and also made in the area is the famous Bundy Rum. Sounds only natural that the rum should go in the ginger beer but I have never tried it. Sounds like an experiment is needed (All in the cause of trialling sea-sick remedies).
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 17:49   #32

Boat: Tartan 37
A slice of lime and some ice and you have it made. Cheers!
IrishLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 17:55   #33

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

I was a sufferer big time, tried everything didn't work for me. As soon as I went below I was toast. Read about some drug, SA navy found by chance stopped seasickness. Ats and Lats mag. Long name have them on the boat still. Not just me but many crew etc have tried them. No one has got sick. What is best, no side effects. You can also use them once you start to feel bad.

Can't remember the name, bloody long one. Will dig out if you are interested.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 18:04   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

When Newbs ask what they can bring for a daysail, I always tell them to bring Ginger Snaps. I tell them it's the only cookie allowed aboard.
Old 02-03-2011, 18:26   #35

Used to get sick all the time, and I was on a steamer out of Newport,RI. A 2100 destroyer. I dealt with it for almost 2 years; then one day I got sick in Narragansett Bay and pinpointed the cause,The grapefruit juice I'd had at breakfast. I didn't know about the ginger thing then, but I keep some at all times now 'cause i like it. I could se where it would have a soothing effect. While i am prone to seasickness, I see lots of others have the same problem.
i don't care, being out on the ocean with those waves so big the rest of the squadron would disappear when you were in the trough. Made you feel so small and yet the might of it made me so happy to be there. I miss it.
Nusailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 18:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific
I was a sufferer big time, tried everything didn't work for me. As soon as I went below I was toast. Read about some drug, SA navy found by chance stopped seasickness. Ats and Lats mag. Long name have them on the boat still. Not just me but many crew etc have tried them. No one has got sick. What is best, no side effects. You can also use them once you start to feel bad.

Can't remember the name, bloody long one. Will dig out if you are interested.
Yes....would love to know the name. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2011, 18:35   #37

Boat: Tartan 30

I once heard an old school Navy guy say he used to stick an earplug in one of his ears to prevent/cure sea sickness. He said if you're right handed put it in your left ear, or vis-versa.

Anyone ever heard of this?
Old 02-03-2011, 19:11   #38

As mentioned before - you have to experiment with sea sickness cures. Expect to try four or five before you find the best one for you.

John Neal gives one of the best guides to seasickness. While I was at first skeptical, I have bought onto his claim that dehydration (and associated electrolyte imbalances) makes sea sickness much more likely. Drink a lot of water (not alcohol or caffeine) before leaving. Adding a vitamin mix to the water helps.

Here's Neal's guide:

Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 19:46   #39

Boat: No boat, looking again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
As mentioned before - you have to experiment with sea sickness cures. Expect to try four or five before you find the best one for you. . . ..

Carl
Hi Carl, I will have to try that. Four or five or more glasses of rum and ginger beer and work out when I stop getting sick. Or maybe it is work out when to stop before getting sick.

My sister tried one of those wrist band pressure point things (no batteries) and she only bought it out of desperation before a plane flight. She was quite skeptical. Now she is a convert. My wife has now tried it and thinks it does have some effect. My sister said she does not care if the effect is only placebo, sure beats throwing up.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 20:14   #40

Boat: savage,oceanic.42ft.

Before starting a sea passage,a mug of hot tea with slices of fresh ginger, a dry biscuit and off we go. 2 hours later, coffee and eggs on toast.
PK ACROPORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 21:12   #41

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

My wife used the ginger tabs from a vitamin shop the other day. She said her sickness was gone in about 15 minutes. About 5 hours later she started to get sick agin, took another one. It was gone. She is a beliver now. Best of all no side effects.
Old 02-03-2011, 21:41   #42

Boat: Stevens 47

The BEST cure for seasickness is to stand under a really big tree.....works a charm.....
Old 08-03-2011, 12:46   #43

Boat: Usually Hunter 32'

Alright - SO...I bought the following:

1. Ginger chips;
2. Ginger candy;
3. Fresh Ginger;
4. Ginger Gum;
5. The "Psiband" (Wrist band); and
6. Prescription patches.

I went out this last Saturday and it wasnt extremely rough or anything, but it was definitely enough to get me sick if I didnt take anything.

I woke up 2 hours before my sail and ate half a dry bagel (boring!) and a couple of the ginger chips/ginger candies. Just before getting on the boat I put the band on my wrist (tighter than recommended) and crossed my fingers. I was prepared with a pocket full of Dramamine JUST IN CASE...

I am SO happy to say that either the ginger or band (or a combination of both) worked just fine for me! I would still get a small hint of nausea here and there, and when those hit I would just pop in a piece of the ginger gum - which would work GREAT.

I cant say that I'm 100% nausea free, but I can say that I'm 95% better off with only these natural remedies. I am going to try the 72hr patch (behind the ear) just to see what sort of effect it has on me!

Hopefully you others out there who suffer from this find some relief as well!

(I bought the ginger candies/chips from a local Japanese market and I bought the ginger gum/psiband online - Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more)

CHEERS!

AZ
Zartarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:53   #44

That is great news AZ. I am so glad that you did well. Thank you for sharing your results. I hope you continue to have such good results.

D

Tags
sea sickness