Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 06:16   #1

Getting my meds while cruising from U.K.

My partner and I aim to take off for a few years at least , and travel the world from the U.K. we need regular prescriptions medication from our Doctors which are from the NHS . So how does this work when you’re going out of the U.K. for a very long time. How have any of you dealt with this ? This must be a common problem? I’ve not asked my doctor yet but hopefully plenty of advice on here . At present we get a month at a time . Pleas remember we are from the U.K.
asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:05   #2

Boat: 40 Caliber LRC
Re: Getting my meds while cruising from U.K.

We are American Sailors not UK Sailors. However, the problem is the same. Chances are your doctor will only give you a 3 months prescription. The Caribbean can be a problem depending on which island you are on. However, most are helpful. A prescription or prescription bottle with your name on it is all you need. However, most pharmacists (chemists), are happy to make a sale with or without a prescription. Panama and Columbia are simple, however,French Polynesia can be a bit of a problem. A lot of distance and time is burned here between stops. I just made sure I had 3 months worth of medication on board. Just not a lot of resources till you get to Tahiti. Once you reach Tonga and Fiji anything goes. No prescriptions needed or asked for. Just tell them what you need. You can buy a years worth once you get there and it's CHEAP. All name brands, no generics. Hope this helps
rnjpinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:36   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450f

Quote:
Originally Posted by asistephen View Post
My partner and I aim to take off for a few years at least , and travel the world from the U.K. we need regular prescriptions medication from our Doctors which are from the NHS . So how does this work when you’re going out of the U.K. for a very long time. How have any of you dealt with this ? This must be a common problem? I’ve not asked my doctor yet but hopefully plenty of advice on here . At present we get a month at a time . Pleas remember we are from the U.K.
Hi
We are U.K. citizens on a 5 year trip, currently in the Canaries.
Up til now I’ve been getting U.K. prescription sent to me from U.K. (online 3 monthly repeat picked up and sent by friend), around Europe, (Spain//Portugal).

At the same time I’ve been stocking up in Portugal using a local private GP - he just writes me a 3 month prescription every month

So we now have a 12 month supply before we set off. I’m not planning on having anthing shipped to the Caranry Islands, customs is a nightmare. Once we are in the Bahamas we’ll see if we can find a decent chemist otherwise we will wait until State side, (I know that I can get generic versions of what I need there, Warfarin, Omeprazol, Predisonide) - I also take a more serious drug for my Crohns but not sure if that will be easy to come by, but then again it doesn’t really work anyway

So - tell your GP what you’re up to, if you’re remaining as U.K. residents then no problem, get the drugs shipped until no longer convenient and then stock up as you go....unless of course you have a more complicated/expensive requirement....
slimnrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:42   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimnrp View Post
- I also take a more serious drug for my Crohns but not sure if that will be easy to come by, but then again it doesn’t really work anyway

This brings up something that I have been fretting over. I too have Crohn's and am on regular infliximab (Remicade) infusions to control it. We're still some number of years before setting off but assuming that it is still administered by IV, it's going to be interesting to figure out how to keep my dosage schedule going. Guess I'm going to be racking up the frequent flier miles.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:55   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

In Australia they have a thing called Regulation 24 which allows people in remote places to fill six one month prescriptions in a single purchase from a pharmacy. It's for people who live in remote circumstances or go on cruises. I'd check with National Health, they may have a similar system.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:03   #6

Boat: Lagoon 450f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
This brings up something that I have been fretting over. I too have Crohn's and am on regular infliximab (Remicade) infusions to control it. We're still some number of years before setting off but assuming that it is still administered by IV, it's going to be interesting to figure out how to keep my dosage schedule going. Guess I'm going to be racking up the frequent flier miles.
I was on ANTI TNF injections - but no positive response other than killing my immune system so I take a low dose steroid and a couple of other things. I was having regular magnesium infusions but now self administer a large oral bomb of magnesium every day and also have replaced my B12 injections with a sublingual dose.

If you can manage to get your Consultant go get you on to Adulimabab injections then you could skip the IV but it’s really expensive so they are resistant, especially if the Infliximab is working for you....
slimnrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:52   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Try asking on here, loads people doing the same thing >
Liveaboard Link
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 11:41   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

No idea how it works for Brits, but in the US physicians often cannot or will not issue rx'es for more than one year after they have actually examined the patient. And while insurers may allow 90-day fills of meds, they don't allow anything longer than that, requiring someone to forward subsequent refills, or the patient to simply buy them up front with no reimbursement. Then to complicate things, if you take your script out of state while you are on vacation? The next state may accept it for a refill--but then they may also KEEP it and terminate all future refills, so you've got to start again by asking the doctor for a new scrip.
Imagine these kind of variables and complications, multiplied by the fact that every country you enter can write all of their own rules for this.
The OP probably should check with their doctors, with the National Health(?) if they are involved, and with a pharmacy, to see what each one knows, or can do, about supplying scrips and meds to patients who will be abroad.
Americans who go Canada for cheaper meds often get them by simply going to a physician and saying "I'm on this...here's my records...can you confirm this and give me a scrip?" and then buying the meds (out of pocket, no insurance) locally. At some point that is probably what you are going to have to do--assuming the meds you want are available locally.
Meds that are approved for sale in one place (i.e. the EU or Canada) are often banned in other places (the US) and vice versa. Having family, or an old-fashioned pharmacy, that can ship things to you via express is another option, IF the doctor can still write the scrips without having seen you. Otherwise, you may need to fly home (or somewhere) once a year to keep things current.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 12:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimnrp View Post
Hi
We are U.K. citizens on a 5 year trip, currently in the Canaries.
Up til now I’ve been getting U.K. prescription sent to me from U.K. (online 3 monthly repeat picked up and sent by friend), around Europe, (Spain//Portugal).

At the same time I’ve been stocking up in Portugal using a local private GP - he just writes me a 3 month prescription every month

So we now have a 12 month supply before we set off. I’m not planning on having anthing shipped to the Caranry Islands, customs is a nightmare. Once we are in the Bahamas we’ll see if we can find a decent chemist otherwise we will wait until State side, (I know that I can get generic versions of what I need there, Warfarin, Omeprazol, Predisonide) - I also take a more serious drug for my Crohns but not sure if that will be easy to come by, but then again it doesn’t really work anyway

So - tell your GP what you’re up to, if you’re remaining as U.K. residents then no problem, get the drugs shipped until no longer convenient and then stock up as you go....unless of course you have a more complicated/expensive requirement....
Thank you very much that’s indeed helpful,
Old 14-08-2018, 12:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
No idea how it works for Brits, but in the US physicians often cannot or will not issue rx'es for more than one year after they have actually examined the patient. And while insurers may allow 90-day fills of meds, they don't allow anything longer than that, requiring someone to forward subsequent refills, or the patient to simply buy them up front with no reimbursement. Then to complicate things, if you take your script out of state while you are on vacation? The next state may accept it for a refill--but then they may also KEEP it and terminate all future refills, so you've got to start again by asking the doctor for a new scrip.
Imagine these kind of variables and complications, multiplied by the fact that every country you enter can write all of their own rules for this.
The OP probably should check with their doctors, with the National Health(?) if they are involved, and with a pharmacy, to see what each one knows, or can do, about supplying scrips and meds to patients who will be abroad.
Americans who go Canada for cheaper meds often get them by simply going to a physician and saying "I'm on this...here's my records...can you confirm this and give me a scrip?" and then buying the meds (out of pocket, no insurance) locally. At some point that is probably what you are going to have to do--assuming the meds you want are available locally.
Meds that are approved for sale in one place (i.e. the EU or Canada) are often banned in other places (the US) and vice versa. Having family, or an old-fashioned pharmacy, that can ship things to you via express is another option, IF the doctor can still write the scrips without having seen you. Otherwise, you may need to fly home (or somewhere) once a year to keep things current.
Thank you we will ask our local pharmacy about shipping thanks again
Old 14-08-2018, 12:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
In Australia they have a thing called Regulation 24 which allows people in remote places to fill six one month prescriptions in a single purchase from a pharmacy. It's for people who live in remote circumstances or go on cruises. I'd check with National Health, they may have a similar system.
That’s interesting hopefully the U.K. may do something similar. Thank you
Old 14-08-2018, 12:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Thank you very helpful
Old 14-08-2018, 12:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Try asking on here, loads people doing the same thing >
Liveaboard Link
Thank you

Tags
cruising