Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 14:45   #76

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Getting comfortable with anchoring is really liberating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Thanks Dockhead
I wouldn’t normally respond anyway to someone who regularly uses vulgar language and calls other boaters knuckleheads, inconsiderate idiots, Jackasses, bitchwings, etc. You can rarely win an argument against such vitriolic people, because they always need the last word.
I thought it was the moderator’s job to censure such posts.
Suffice to say, the editor of Good Old Boat thought my anchoring method to have enough merit to publish it. So I thought it would be helpful to the OP to know about another method I have used for many years on many different boats, without the slightest problem with any other boats. The two owners we saved at the end of the article were damn glad of it as well!
As a matter of interest, in the draft I actually wrote that it should be employed with common sense, according to circumstances, for example, the second anchor might be shackled quite near the first, thus making very little difference to the swinging circle, but still keeping the main bower flat. However, we removed the codicil, because it sounded patronizing to readers of that magazine, who tend to be experienced sailors.
Anyone who assumes everyone has the same scope, (or should have), is asking for trouble, because different size boats have different ground tackle, which warrants different scopes.
I'm really glad you're in Florida...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 15:19   #77

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Like I said, They always need the last word.
Old 02-07-2016, 15:27   #78
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
No I don't.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 15:38   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Jolly Roger,

Three questions:

1. Do You anchor out very often?

2 You arrive in a crowded anchorage or a soon to be crowded anchorage with a gentle but changing wind blowing, do you set your double anchors up knowing they will almost certainly interfere with the people swinging on the hook nearby?

3. When another boat having an appropriate rode deployed ultimately swings into your boat, what do you do and say to the unsuspecting boater who's following the established rules of anchoring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I'm really glad you're in Florida...
Me too.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 17:46   #80

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Nothing like the feeling of being at anchor. But better than that, nothing like the feeling of being at anchor without relying on all those damn electronic devices! For us, any change in wind speed or motion will wake us from a deep sleep and make us aware of the change in conditions.
A drag alarm helps me sleep well, I set it everynight. I used to think I would wake up at the slightest change this was until a guy crept into my boat stole my phone which was only two meters away from me and I never heard a thing! I now realize I can't rely on that sixth sense somethings wrong power to wake me up . An alarm will every time.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 18:03   #81

Boat: a sailing boat

I remember reading somewhere that masturbation helps too.

As for fenders: yes. Once or twice. In the French islands where locals like to anchor very intimately.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 18:59   #82

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
If the wind kicked up, I would have thought waves slapping the bridge deck would wake you? Cats have their own little warnings.

Ralph
I was on a Chris White design, not a Gemini or similar.
Old 02-07-2016, 21:07   #83

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I sleep with a compass next to me. Easier than getting up.

I also use a handheld gps. It tells me how far the boat has moved from where we were when I went to bed. Very reassuring. Cheap insurance.

LOVE anchoring. The boat is so alive when at anchor. When at a dock, always getting off the boat...but at anchor, I use all systems, and love the freedom and space, as you say. Anchoring is great.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 22:09   #84

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
Well its all kicking off. The first boats are hitting each other.

Beneteau Oceanis 40 - 2008
Mallorca
Time to break out the samurai sword and start swinging like a mad man! They'll either back off or go anchor somewhere else! Sure worked for my buddy! BTW it was always my impression, in the old days, that tandem anchors were only intended for preparing a major pull, like a hurricane, in one direction. But I am always open to new things... to a point.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:30   #85

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But there is one excellent way to check whether you've done it right -- full power in reverse for several minutes after you think you've set the anchor. This is the acid test. Unless you're snagged on something, if you pass this test, the anchor will not move during the night either.

I have been doing this for a lot of years now and it has always worked for me. If the anchor does not hold and there is swinging room I put out more chain otherwise another anchor.

In places with strong tide runs I nearly always set two anchors and the same if I know the bottom is sticky clay. Biggest problems I have had are with seagrass bottoms, it tends to pull out in clumps and the divot prevents the anchor from resetting.

I used to have problems getting plough anchors to set but now use the Bruce or claw type and have found that whilst these don't hold the load as well as the ploughs did they set and reset much more reliably.

The comfort factor is largely a matter of getting your head right. I know that whilst I might drag anchor whilst I sleep I will not have rats, mice, cockroaches, bed bugs climbing along the mooring lines in the marina and infesting my boat, the neighbour's cat pissing in my cockpit, the plastic gin palace with the drunks aboard bursting into flame in the wee hours of the morning, etc. disturbing my nights sleep. The occasional restless night at anchor is a small price to pay.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:51   #86

Boat: a sailing boat

The reverse acid test is no good in some scenarios. E.g. oozing mud. Common in Caribbean lagoons.

If you hard reverse, you will drag. You just drop the hook then reverse only a small amount. Let it sit (sink?).

I do not know the physics of light oozy mud but I know you will drag if you hard reverse. You will not if you let it sink over 24 hours or so.

Once in, you can hard reverse and you are put, but you can't do the test right away after arriving.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 14:40   #87

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
No I don't.
I wasn’t referring to you Mark, but it’s getting funny how Kenomac has to keep having a go isn’t it. Such people just can’t let go.
I think boating is like politics or religion, when you meet a fundamentalist you simply can’t win. So I’ll now sign off from this thread, but I still expect there'll be some sarcy' remark as a passing shot.
Old 03-07-2016, 15:12   #88
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
I wasn’t referring to you Mark,
Good. I wasn't refering to me either but this girl with huge h00ters. But I couldn't say that because people think I am sexist. I'm not... I used to have a girl friend with smaller than utterly huge ones. Well, for a weekend. I think we crash gybed. I was hit in the head by a flying tit.

Mark

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 19:12   #89

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
I wasn’t referring to you Mark, but it’s getting funny how Kenomac has to keep having a go isn’t it. Such people just can’t let go.
I think boating is like politics or religion, when you meet a fundamentalist you simply can’t win. So I’ll now sign off from this thread, but I still expect there'll be some sarcy' remark as a passing shot.
Here it is:

Let me know if you're ever up in the Pacific NorthWest !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 20:33   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The reverse acid test is no good in some scenarios. E.g. oozing mud. Common in Caribbean lagoons.

If you hard reverse, you will drag. You just drop the hook then reverse only a small amount. Let it sit (sink?).

I do not know the physics of light oozy mud but I know you will drag if you hard reverse. You will not if you let it sink over 24 hours or so.

Once in, you can hard reverse and you are put, but you can't do the test right away after arriving.

b.
The hard reverse test is done after SETTING the anchor, not after "arriving". Setting the anchor in soft mud can take a long time. But if you drag when reversing hard, the anchor is not set - which is the point.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring