Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2010, 00:07   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Getting Cold in Korea . . . Need Heater

We have a small, uninsulated glass boat, a Vancouver 27, and are wintering in Korea. It's been years since we have been in such a cold place and, well, we need heat.

We have found a marina berth, but without AC power. We have 450Ah of battery power.

I have been close to ordering a Refleks 66MW bulkhead-mounted diesel heater, but started to read about small forced air heaters and frankly not sure which way to go.

If you have experience with either, or a better idea, would love to hear about it.
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 01:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
The smartass in me wants to say Korea is heating up right now, but that would be in poor form, so I'd have to ask what is the most available fuel to use?? If you can get and safely store propane, I prefer that to diesel for heat. But what do I know in Florida?

The coldest I ever wintered here is about 40*F. But...... I lived aboard for 7 years with a Nortstar propane heater
Old 30-11-2010, 04:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
We use an Eberspaecher (Espar) hydronic heating system on our boat, which we use all year round in a climate which includes a certain amount of below freezing temps. It burns diesel and works well.

On your boat I would say a Webasto or Eberspaecher forced-air diesel-burning heater would be the best thing. The bulkhead mounted heaters will work, but they don't distribute the heat nearly as well. The forced air system distributes heat and circulates air and will help a lot keeping down condensation, which will be your next big problem right after you solve the one about not freezing to death.

Disadvantage compared to a bulkhead heater is you will need a certain amount of electrical power. You say you don't have AC -- do you run the main engine to recharge your batteries? Running a forced air heater 24/7 will demand a fair amount of power. You might need a suitcase generator, which is already adding more and more complication.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 04:28   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Here's a good thread on heat for the Vancouver 27, pros and cons of exactly these systems:

Vancouver Yachts Association Forum :: Choice of heating system for a V27
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 05:47   #5

Boat: grampian 26
I'd go with diesel/kerosene as these fuels are much more energy dense than propane and less complicated and safer to deal with. Distributing the heat is another issue. The suitcase genset of the Honda variety may be an inexpesive and viable option.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 02:32   #6
cruiser

kerosene

my choice is kerosene/alcohol space heatrer as it doesnt cfreate much carbon monoxide as is safer in confined spaces,,,kerosun. has info on where to order these as you cant easily go yardsaling to find one,,cheers
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 04:51   #7

Boat: looking
Gee, sorry to have a chuckle at your expense, jimbim, but I remember arriving in Seoul, in late September, by plane, & thinking, "This is Asia?" ... then, as I searched for the yoinsook(hostel) it started to snow. 5 days later I flew to Taipei.

I'd suggest going with the diesel heater or, as "pullord" suggests, kerosene or alcohol. we used a big honkin' kerosene heater when we lived on our sailboat that we sat at the top of the companionway - with the hatch open - after having a few electric heaters burn out & burn our carpet. The kerosene heater did the job.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote