Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 09:09   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Gave my work notice now more committed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Don't know and I have at least 4 months to decide. It seems to be getting better and since I had bad experience on the one I had scoped last year I'm going to give it some time.

I've had three total, first by a "Sports Med" place in Dothan, wasn't good.
Current Dr. re-did that knee, and the other, and that has been probably 8 or 10 years ago?
Perhaps you need another Dr?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:17   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've had three total, first by a "Sports Med" place in Dothan, wasn't good.
Current Dr. re-did that knee, and the other, and that has been probably 8 or 10 years ago?
Perhaps you need another Dr?
Funny you say that. When I got the stitches out last year and they asked me how it was I told them it was "the worst pain in my life". The doctor says "That's usual, I've have it done 3 times and it wasn't bad". So I asked him who did his so I could plan better next time.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:48   #18

Boat: Freedom 38

Congratulations, but so sorry about the knees. These are pretty important on a boat, too. The suggestion to look for another doc seems sound. I'm sure there are outliers in recovery time and pain levels, but the handful of people I've known who've had a knee replaced (ages between 48 and 80) were so happy afterwards, and kinda kicking themselves they didn't do it sooner. The 80-year-old is now 82 and going for her other knee replacement. The youngest knows she'll need to go through probably more than one in her lifetime. Perhaps a key factor in these people is their level of fitness going into the surgery. They were all very active before and were really struggling with the bum knees. Good luck!!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:53   #19
cruiser

Congratulations.

Here's some good advice:

Turn your house into rental income property until you know for sure everything is working out. You'll need a steady income stream and plans can change in a heartbeat.

Good luck
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm a year and a half behind you, seems like I have been saying a year and a half, forever.

I too have bad knees, three operations (scopes). Last one Dr. told me he wanted to be the one to replace it. It apparently is not a matter of if, just when, he couldn't tell me how long I had, he said I determined that, based on pain tolerance.
Should I continue to deal with the pain and reduced movement, as in I have limits on how far I can walk, much over a mile causes issues.
Or should I go ahead and have it replaced? I have same Medical coverage either way, so that is not the issue.
Issue other than my fear is how long does a replacement last? An I better off waiting?
Id hate to get one now, then have it worn out with me in my late 60's, I assume you heal slower then, and surely it's more invasive replacing an artificial one with another?

You going with "bad" knees?
I am also one of the bad knee generation (would like to blame my long and storied athletic career, but I can't). My doctor told me after my last cartilage scope job (~10 years ago) that knee transplants are good for about 10 years and each knee can only be done twice, so say 20 years. Good chance that the technology has improved since then.

Our dock neighbour in New Jersey was an orthopaedic surgeon (new Hylas 54, the job seems to pay well) and he said the new research on cartilage operations suggests that it is better to have bad cartilage rather than no cartilage. (Don't know if this is your problem?) He said the research now suggests physio to strengthen the muscles of the thigh so there is less stress on the cartilage to support the body weight. His feeling is that some (many?) surgeons still want to do surgery (cleaning out and smoothing cartilage or replacements) because for the former he gets paid $4000, while for a referral to a physiotherapist he gets $70. I have been getting a lot more exercise in recent years - even just doing an offshore passage - and my knees are better - not great mind you, but functional.

End of medical thread drift, back to the regularly scheduled programming. My feeling is that one should take off sailing when you can, there is never a 'best' time to do it.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:07   #21

Hi there,
My very first post!
We have been following this forum and the various threads for quite a long time, ( well over a year) and after weighing factors, decided that with our plans we should sign up, ta-daa !
Let me first say, congratulations on your commitment to do this. With a land life of job, new cars, new gadgets that 'need' to be had etc, for so many its a dream that is never realized. Again, we are very happy to see that there are many others ( like you) of the mind set that there are more important things in life than the latest and (not so) great stuff that clutters up life.
( "honey, have you seen that new winch handle "?)
We are over 2 years into a liquidation of 2 homes and a hundred years of 'stuff'. Its very hard (as you know), but every day is one step closer.
My long time girl will be giving her notice at her factory job soon. The houses are going up for sale next month. As a long time business owner, I have been slowly but surely working on converting my company to a online store presence that will enable us to sell our goods from anywhere we are.
Located on Lake Ontario, we just sold our Venture 22 so we are currently landlocked but plan to move to Norfolk VA within three months where we will pick out a 35 footer (or so) for live aboard when we get back from Vietnam.
We have read many of your posts and we are looking forward to reading more posts as you affect your move.
Meacenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:08   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Coincidence...Just gave my notice and retiring early. 2/12 my last day of shaking the money tree. Off to the Sea of Cortez to my beloved "Joli Elle". See you at the next port with palm trees
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:12   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I am also one of the bad knee generation (would like to blame my long and storied athletic career, but I can't). My doctor told me after my last cartilage scope job (~10 years ago) that knee transplants are good for about 10 years and each knee can only be done twice, so say 20 years. Good chance that the technology has improved since then.

Our dock neighbour in New Jersey was an orthopaedic surgeon (new Hylas 54, the job seems to pay well) and he said the new research on cartilage operations suggests that it is better to have bad cartilage rather than no cartilage. (Don't know if this is your problem?) He said the research now suggests physio to strengthen the muscles of the thigh so there is less stress on the cartilage to support the body weight. His feeling is that some (many?) surgeons still want to do surgery (cleaning out and smoothing cartilage or replacements) because for the former he gets paid $4000, while for a referral to a physiotherapist he gets $70. I have been getting a lot more exercise in recent years - even just doing an offshore passage - and my knees are better - not great mind you, but functional.

End of medical thread drift, back to the regularly scheduled programming. My feeling is that one should take off sailing when you can, there is never a 'best' time to do it.

A lot of my Family are Physicians, it's been the standing joke for almost forever that un-necessary surgeries, especially Hysterectomies have paid for many a Porsche, Boat or Mistress
Old 01-02-2016, 10:14   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
My doctor told me after my last cartilage scope job (~10 years ago) that knee transplants are good for about 10 years and each knee can only be done twice, so say 20 years. Good chance that the technology has improved since then.

That pretty much sums up my concern, and is the reason I'm not standing in line for Lasik too, although I know next to nothing about that.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:40   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Took 5 hours before I got any questions about my notice from work. I was worried that they would just decide to get rid of me and most people warned me not to give much notice. But my bosses boss just said:

"Congrats on being brave enough to do what most people want to do but never will(me included)."

This is what we on CF should say to the wannabees instead of scaring them off all the time.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:45   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

A big Congratulations DON!. It's been a long time coming. Now you know 2016 will be a banner year. Good for ya.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:45   #27

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Sailor boy now I really hate you. I am so jealous. I can't wait to pull the plug myself. Just a few more ducks to lineup. Good luck to you you deserve it
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:57   #28

Boat: Lidgard 32

Must be very exciting, congrats, enjoy.
NZBRAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:14   #29

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Congratulations Don! I thought I was going to beat you out the door. But you're two months faster. First drink is on the goat if you make to the Pacific.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:55   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

WAIT!

W.A.I.T!

Ummm, sorry but I stuffed up your Budget spreadsheet in the last 'can I afford to go' thread.

Can you get you resignation back???

Just 12 more months...
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote